Tipping-Above and Beyond Question

Kaseybear16

Not intending for this to be a discussion on the increase in tipping, etc. Just wondering what the recommended tip amounts are above and beyond the automatic 11.50/pp/per day. Here are a couple of examples:

a) Bag Porters at pier

b) Room Service

c) Bar-drinks (every time or just a few here and there?)

d) Maitre De-I didn't give anything on last cruise because I didn't feel as though he did anything for us and was very aloof and unhelpfu.

e) Taxi-I know this depends a bit on where you are (we are going on southern caribbean on Victory)

f) Room stewards

Anything I am forgetting? I don't think we did enough extra tipping on our last cruise but it was our first and I didn't do as much research as I should have. I don't want to short anybody because I know they work really hard! Thanks!

Not intending for this to be a discussion on the increase in tipping, etc. Just wondering what the recommended tip amounts are above and beyond the automatic 11.50/pp/per day. Here are a couple of examples:

a) Bag Porters at pier

b) Room Service

d) Maitre De-I didn't give anything on last cruise because I didn't feel as though he did anything for us and was very aloof and unhelpfu.

e) Taxi-I know this depends a bit on where you are (we are going on southern caribbean on Victory)

f) Room stewards

Anything I am forgetting? I don't think we did enough extra tipping on our last cruise but it was our first and I didn't do as much research as I should have. I don't want to short anybody because I know they work really hard! Thanks!

Here is what I do.

Porters=$1.50 per bag or $5.oo for 3 bags.

Room service= $2.00 for morning coffee. $5.00 if it is a big order.

Bar service= a buck here and there, we don't drink

Maitre d=$3.00 last time, she didn't do much except visit.

Taxi= about 30% for a short ride.

Room steward= already taken care of in auto tips but I tipped him $25 more.

a) Bag Porters at pier

b) Room Service

f) Room stewards

a) bag porters - the rule of thumb is around $2 per bag per person.

b) room service - room service is free, but folks I know who use it tip around $2

c) bar drinks - a 15% gratuity is added to the bill when you order a bar drink. You don't need to tip in addition.

d) maitre'd - I've never tipped one and never will

e) taxi - yes, depends on where you are and how high the fare is.

f) room stewards - this is a slippery slope. I usually tip extra beyond the auto-tips, and the amount depends on how good they were. I've given anywhere from $20 additional on up depending on the different cruises we've been on.

In the end, it's a personal choice who you tip and how much you want to tip. Use your own judgement. :)

I usually tip extra to my room steward and servers if they go above and beyond.

The room steward on my Miracle cruise was efficient and nice, however I complained almost immediately (within an hour of boarding) that the bed was rock hard and lumpy. She should have at least attempted to get me an eggcrate (I later talked to a company service rep and she said that is exactly what the steward should have done) but she didn't she piled a few lumpy comforters under it.

I know I'm the princess and the pea when it comes to my mattress and most it's not an issue, but I have been a nurse for 20 plus years and have BACK issues, lol so the mattress is important to me.

I didn't tip her extra cash because she did her job but didn't go above and beyond.

Our server on the other hand ( we did anytime dining but found an awesome server the first night and kept requesting her) she learned my likes and dislikes, made helpful suggestions on what was being served that night and was all around awesome, she was tipped extra, as was her assistant. The M.D wasn't tipped at all because I had no issues and didn't deal with him.

This is just the way I do it and in no way think others should do as I do.

I really feel tipping is an individual thing and we should do exactly as we feel is right for us.

Cheers, Carole

a) Bag Porters at pier

b) Room Service

d) Maitre De-I didn't give anything on last cruise because I didn't feel as though he did anything for us and was very aloof and unhelpful.

f) Room stewards

Porters - I tip $2 per bag but if my DW over-pack a bag, I'll give more to cover the back sprain.

Room Service - I usually tip $1 per plate/drink.

Bar Drinks - I'll give a tip at the end of the cruise to the bar waiter or tender who I made a connection with. Usually $10.

Maître de - Only if they have done something for me. We've requested a two top on the last couple of cruises and have tipped $20 at the end of the cruise.

Taxi - In San Juan, the fare is by zone and number of bags. I'll usually add a 20% tip, round up to the nearest $5. Other taxis, I'll get the fare before the ride and will also tip 20% rounded up to the nearest $5.

Room Stewards - I'll tip $20 for the week unless they do something basic that upsets me (like forgetting to leave toilet paper or towels).

We most always tip above and beyond.

I downloaded an app. for paper money Origami and folded up a bunch of different denomination bills.

This was my first practice one.......

FoldedDollar.jpg

"The Shirt" was by far the most popular.

Each day I left our cabin steward several different ones, totaling far more than the suggested amount. (yes, we prepaid our tips also)

She told me they brought a smile to her face each day.

That brought a smile to my face and she got a nice load of 'laundry' on the final day!

Archived