How to get from Sydney Airport to Holiday Inn...?

Bruin Steve

We will be catching the train from the Airport to Circular Quay. Then its a couple of hundred meters walk to the Holiday Inn. Depending on your luggage situation and your willingness to walk then that would be the best option IMO.

Well, that's what I think our plan will be - otherwise we will pick the expensive option and catch a cab.

We will be catching the train from the Airport to Circular Quay. Then its a couple of hundred meters walk to the Holiday Inn. Depending on your luggage situation and your willingness to walk then that would be the best option IMO.

Well, that's what I think our plan will be - otherwise we will pick the expensive option and catch a cab.

Doesn't look too bad...

$15.80 pp AUD one way...21 minute trip, leaves every few minutes...

Now, OTOH, Google Maps says it is a 950 meter, 12 minute walk from the station to the Holiday Inn...they have you walking down the Expressway to Cumberland Street, then a right turn, then a couple of zigs and zags back down to George Street and the Holiday Inn...Is there a quicker way to walk it?

I just noticed the Holiday Inn site says to just turn on George...

Edited by Bruin Steve

950m? I don't remember it being that far to walk and Google Maps have you walking along a busy roadway which would be very unpleasant indeed.

After catching the escalator down from the train platform to ground level you should head in the direction of where the Ferry wharf is (north). Once you get to the concourse that lies between the train station and the Ferry terminal you should be able to look further north and see the Cruise terminal perhaps with our ship already berthed ready for our next day embarkation.

I plan to walk along the pathways that cut through the park (called the First Fleet Park) towards the Cruise Terminal and then when you get up to the terminal when there are stairs and walkways up to George Street close to where the Old Sydney Holiday Inn.

My Google maps reference (get directions; walking) says 550m which is a little more than the couple of hundred I quoted previously. I was much younger when I lived there :D

The walk through the park is flat but to cut up through to George Street is either upstairs or a sloping walkway. I feel that a reasonably fit and able person with luggage with rollers can do the walk and enjoy the stroll through the park.

The area that you will be walking through is historically important to European settlement in Australia as its the spot where the settlers of the First Fleet chose to establish themselves as a permanent settlement.

Hope that helps

http://www.kst.com.au/Sydney/Airport-Shuttle-Bus-to-City-Sydney/

This is the shuttle I use from Airport to hotel, door to door. You don't need to prebook. Depends how many are in your party whether it is the most economical method or not.

That also looks like a good option. Especially if you are particularly weary after a long flight.

I will still catch the train because I just like trains and my flight into Sydney is only three hours. :D

Once you get settled into your room and freshened up then a wander around the Circular Quay precinct and perhaps a ferry ride to Manly would be a great way to sight see.

Board the REAR 3 cars of the train at the Airport?

Make sure you dont get into the End Cars Next to the Guards Compartments as they have very limited seating and in some cars none.

(The above boarding will put you adjacent to the escalators at Circular Quay)

Upon passing through exit gates,below,making sure you walk towards the Ferry Colonnade walking towards Wharf 5 and Rossini Italian Restaurant,turn right walking towards Overseas Terminal.

Near the front of the Terminal where there is a large Shade tree with seating around on the waterfront.On your Immediate left there is Argyle Street and Traffic Lights.

Cross Street at Lights to the Orient Hotel and Walk North,the short distance along George Street to the Holiday Inn.

The distance is slightly more to boarding a Ship at the Terminal.

Edited by campingman

The walk through the park is flat but to cut up through to George Street is either upstairs or a sloping walkway. I feel that a reasonably fit and able person with luggage with rollers can do the walk and enjoy the stroll through the park.

The area that you will be walking through is historically important to European settlement in Australia as its the spot where the settlers of the First Fleet chose to establish themselves as a permanent settlement.

Hope that helps

My husband and I (retired) walk that way, with luggage, after the cruise to catch a taxi, as it is a lot quicker than waiting in the taxi queue at the OPT.

I plan to walk along the pathways that cut through the park (called the First Fleet Park) towards the Cruise Terminal and then when you get up to the terminal when there are stairs and walkways up to George Street close to where the Old Sydney Holiday Inn.

The walk through the park is flat but to cut up through to George Street is either upstairs or a sloping walkway.

Upon passing through exit gates,below,making sure you walk towards the Ferry Colonnade walking towards Wharf 5 and Rossini Italian Restaurant,turn right walking towards Overseas Terminal.

Near the front of the Terminal where there is a large Shade tree with seating around on the waterfront.On your Immediate left there is Argyle Street and Traffic Lights.

Cross Street at Lights to the Orient Hotel and Walk North,the short distance along George Street to the Holiday Inn.

These are possible routes, but I wouldn't recommend them for anyone rolling full size luggage. You either have to deal with the stairs to get from First Fleet Park up to George Street, or you have to roll up a steep bit of Argyle Street to get up to George Street.

Anyone with full size luggage is better off walking west along Alfred Street (parallel to the railway lines but on the other side of them from the ferry wharves) up to the T-junction with George Street, and then turning right and walking up George Street from there. The slopes are much more gentle, even though the walk is a tiny bit longer in pure distance terms.

The Google Maps walking directions are absolutely mental.

However, if I were in Bruin Steve's shoes, I would take a taxi. The train will cost the two of you about $30; a taxi would be about double that. But the extra money is money well spent, particularly if you've just got off an overnight trans-Pacific flight and you have cruise luggage.

I think I am convinced...

We will either take the shuttle or the taxi...

After 15 hours on a plane and arriving in the early morning local time (not that we will be oriented enough to know what time it is) and wheeling large suitcases and carrying "carry-ons", better to be deposited right at the hotel...

It appears that the shuttle would cost only $18 per person...And saving a few dollars isn't worth the hassle...If the shuttle looks in any way difficult, a taxi is no doubt the most convenient option...

Edited by Bruin Steve

I took the shuttle once. Remember, it stops at any number of hotels en route to yours. Eventually, I was so fed up with the process that I got out and took a taxi the rest of the way.

Love the shuttle and I'm either the first or last stop at Potts Point. I like my "cooks tour" of the city, and travelling with people from all over the world, but I'm on holidays and not in a hurry.

However, my daughter, who works, always gets the train for speed of travel.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, my husband & I are looking into doing our first Australia Cruise and taking our daughter, what hotels are recommended in Sydney, best location and not to expensive. We are thinking of coming in a week before the cruise so we can sightsee. Thank you.

Hi Gay.......we definitly had "sticker shock" when looking for a pre-cruise hotel for our March 24 '12 Radiance cruise. We booked the Rendezvous Stafford hotel in the Rocks area. Way more than we're used to spending but we wanted to be in the Circular Quay area. AAA pricing gave us a bit of a discount and I'm still checking for an even better deal. :)

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

Hi Sue, that is the one thing I have noticed, the prices are higher then what we are used to paying. I did find one site that showed something more reasonable, along with higher ones but not familiar with the area so would have to do more searching. http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-191502050-sydney_hotels-i;_ylt=AkBV1UzEjWy7sESYbZqVKHPiFmoL#lState=sortby%3Dpopularity%26b%3D3%26wait%3D1

Map of Hotels http://www.sydney-australia.biz/maps/hotels/map-of-hotels.php

Gay

Have a look at the Travelodge chain of hotels. They have a couple in central Sydney. We have used Travelodge in several places. The big advantage is that most of the rooms have a small kitchenette and microwave. Also some plates and cutlery. If you are staying a week precruise you may not want to eat out all the time.

The tariffs are usually very reasonable. Look at Travelodge's own website or on wotif.com. We are staying at Travelodge Sydney near Hyde Park before our cruise on 23rd December and it was $AU125 for two including breakfast.

They have another hotel near Wynyard - closer to Circular Quay.

Bronnie

Just back from our New Zealand Cruise on the Zaandam. We stayed at the Holiday night the night before and it cost us $55 from the airport with a taxi. Return trip after disembarking was quicker and cost $45!

We had a triple share room at Holiday Inn which I booked on Friends and Family Rate - was still $289 ($55 for 3rd person). it was an ideal location just 5 minutes walk to the overseas passenger terminal.

June

Just back from our New Zealand Cruise on the Zaandam. We stayed at the Holiday night the night before and it cost us $55 from the airport with a taxi. Return trip after disembarking was quicker and cost $45!

We had a triple share room at Holiday Inn which I booked on Friends and Family Rate - was still $289 ($55 for 3rd person). it was an ideal location just 5 minutes walk to the overseas passenger terminal.

June

June, did you walk with your luggage from Holiday Inn to the ship? It seems like an easy walk.

Jagoffee - so easy to walk with luggage if your ship is at OPT. took 5 minutes .

Even if the road is busy there are pedestrian crossings to get you across. Hotel is not flash as in 5 star but our room was clean and well appointed - and we even saw the bridge from the window.

June

Jagoffee - so easy to walk with luggage if your ship is at OPT. took 5 minutes .

Even if the road is busy there are pedestrian crossings to get you across. Hotel is not flash as in 5 star but our room was clean and well appointed - and we even saw the bridge from the window.

June

And it is all down hill.

Colleen