Calling passengers from the delayed Pathos to UK flights 16/11

Just completed our first stay/cruise with Thomson in Cyprus and aboard Celebration, which was very good and a review will follow.

However, would be interested to know if any readers were amongst those of us from the 14 flights stranded at Pathos airport on 16/17 November and who experienced delays of 22 hours and upwards as well as an atrocious standard of customer service from Thomson that marred an otherwise very enjoyable two weeks.

We were stuck in departures having already checked in, so no baggage. In spite of repeated requests, the two young reps sent in to departures clearly knew nothing about EU legislation and what passengers were entitled to. Their cowardly managers (whom the reps refused to name), remaining outside the airport, had obviously sent them in like Christians in to the Lion’s den. They maintained there was no entitlement to food or drink or calls/email and also suggested that it might be a couple of days before we could leave Cyprus. The bulk of the pax were in the age group 50+ so this did not go down well. As the hours wore on, one young mother said she had run out money to buy refreshments for her two young children and she was told to use a credit card. Some very elderly passengers apparently with no funds were bought water by other passengers. This did not appear to move the reps at all. After midnight we were told that we would go to hotels and that food had been requested. If food was not available then we could spend up to 20 euros (but stressed no more!) on food. When asked where from, a rep announced there are loads of 24 hour eating places on the Island, something which the duty hotel manager confirmed as untrue when its 2 a.m., out of season, on the outskirts of Limasol and he also said no food had been requested anyway. We had also had a false start for the hotel when the first coach driver refused to move (striker sympathic?). We were also told a rep would be at the hotel to sort out any problems but she did not appear until next day and still denied any responsibility for bills for calls or emails (as is the entitlement). She also advised that Thomson would not be responsible for obtaining any medication that passengers had run out of but would provide the address of a doctor at the passengers own expense. Reportedly, letters would be provided to confirm our delay but none were forth coming. I eventually rang up for one and supposedly its in the post.

As the delay was due to a strike by baggage handlers, i suspect no compo will be payable . However, I think Thomsons should be fined for their exceptionally poor customer service and lack of basic knowledge regarding air travel legislation. I would be interested to know if any others of the Pathos “detainees” has successfully complained.

The following is a copy and paste off one of Cyprus expat forums...

We have just returned from the Thomson cruise that was"hit" by the strike.There was 1200 passengers sat in LImassol dock on the ship for two days,most without luggage,medication,personal effects etc.

But for the 4 flights diverted to Larnaca,all these passengers came through Paphos airport.Thomsons ferried them to the ship and then had to sit and wait until the strike was resolved.

When the strike was resolved they had to be bussed back to Paphos airport the next day,claim their luggage,then bussed back to the ship.About 1,000 passengers were without luggage.

There was no warning of the stike and the Wednesday was targeted because of the 12 flights for the cruise.

This has done Paphos no favours at all and only recently the CTO were trying to encourage the cruise ships.

I,m afraid I have little sympathy when you hear of stuggling tourist figures.This has done untold damage and if I was in charge of Thomson cruises I,d be looking elsewhere for it,s cruise destinations.

Hi

We have just returned from Celebration but we were one of the lucky flights that were transferred to Larnaca. We were about 20 mins out from Paphos and had started descent when captain came on and explained that we couldn't land because of strike and that we had to circle while he got instructions from head office. Only about 5 mins later, came back on to say that we had been diverted to Lanarca where we landed about 20 mins later. We actually arrived at the ship only about an hour after we had anticipated as we had to spend half hour waiting for coaches to transfer us, and our baggage, to the ship.

I was really sorry to read the difficulties that outgoing passengers had as the incoming passengers, from those we spoke to, all seemed to think that Thomson had handled things very well. They were actually without their baggage for 1 day - not 2. From about lunch time the next day, each flight was called in turn and one member of each party went to the airport to identify their parties luggage. We were then told that this all happened very smoothly and people felt that they were back onboard much quicker than they had anticipated. Seems such a shame that 'the other end' was not dealt with as efficiently.

We had to miss out Crete which was somewhere we had booked a trip and so were quite disappointed. The rest of the itinerary was brilliant and Thomson was its usual, expected product. Maybe the Show Team was not quite so talented as previous teams we have seen but they were still very good - they were also not as friendly as other teams we have encountered - pity as that is one of Thomson's charms. The CD, Bram, is totally brilliant as are the rest of the Entertainment Team (except perhaps Angela who's a bit on the colourless side). Really enjoyed the whole cruise - crew show and comedian were brilliant.

Sandy

Archived