rum runner flasks vs bar set up

cruisefan123

We need to know which ship you are sailing on. Some have expensive bar setups, others are more affordable.

We've sailed both Royal Caribbean & Celebrity during Spring Break period and know people who have had their liquor confiscated. They are super diligent at that time of year. Rum Runners are supposed to be indistinguishable in luggage, but I wonder about that, given that they've been around for years.

Rum Runners are supposed to be indistinguishable in luggage' date=' but I wonder about that, given that they've been around for years.[/quote']

The cruise lines are now using the same technology, called x-ray diffraction (XRD) imaging, that the airports use to identity liquids in your carry on. Each type of liquid has a different 'mass' and the newer machines are now sensitive enough to identify differing types of liquids from each other. The technique relies on the spatial correlations between neighboring atoms originating in the molecular structure of the liquid. This result can be considered the ‘fingerprint’ of the liquid.

I majored in molecular science and worked for NASA on propellant development. I hope my explanation wasn't too technical.

This is perhaps the most often discussed topic on all of Cruise Critic. Without passing judgment, I would think that in addition to the newer technology, cruise lines would be more vigilant than usual during spring break. It's as much a matter of underage drinking/liability as it is a revenue-related matter. Our one such experience involved about fifty of America's future leaders staging an Occupy-The-Adults-Only-Pool-And-Spa demonstration, totally hammered by 10:00 a.m. I guess there were some consequences, as security intervened (albeit only after a dozen or so complaints), and the area returned to normal. This is an ongoing issue ... the cruise lines and entrepreneurs remain committed to be one step ahead of each other. It appears as if the former now has the upper hand ... act accordingly.

On my first cruise in Aug 2008, I filled small, plastic 4 oz bottles (from Walmart at about 50 cents each) with my liquor of choice. I placed about 10 of these small bottles in plastic zip-lock sandwhich bags around my luggage, inside shoes, in my shaving kit, as if they were shampoo or cologne or mouthwash. I didn't have any problems.

In the following cruises I didn't bother. I just buy a couple of cocktails each day or not as the urge strikes me.

Archived