Carnival Dream with kids - share a room?

mojonah

We'll be on the Dream in July. It will be our 5th cruise, all with our two kids.

Carnival Glory

They were 8 months and 4 years. We shared a balcony room and it was just like at home!

Emerald Princes

They were 3 and 7. We had connected balconies. My husband and son were in one, daughter and I in the other. It was nice to have the extra bathroom, but for the most part we all stayed together.

Royal Caribbean Libery of the Seas

They were 4 and 8. We shared an aft balcony. This was THE BEST arrangement. The kids loved their "bunk beds" and we loved the extra large balcony.

Carnival Inspiration

They were 7 and 10. We shared an oceanview. It was only 4 days, so it was fine, but I really missed the balcony.

Carnival Dream

They will be almost 8 and 11. We'll share a balcony (as pictured above).

I've found that my kids and husband are out of the room most of the time. They are very active and want to do all the fun stuff. I love to sit on the balcony and read. So the added room space isn't important to us, but a balcony is important to me.

As far as only having one bathroom - That's was the norm for most families our size for years. So we consider it a chance to go back in time! :) Seriously - usually the boys get ready first and then go walk around or watch a show or something. Then the girls have time to primp and we all meet for dinner.

As far as the personal time stuff - That's what Camp Carnival is for! My kids are not allowed to sign themselves out and will not have their own key, so no surprises. :)

We have 3 of us in the family, Dad, Mom and our 7 year old daughter. Our daughter is not a real fan on Camp Carnival, so she hangs with us and never seems too bored. Night time though causes a few issues, if the kid is hauling homework from school, I suggest a morning routine, time runs out at night. An early seating for dinner is a must with wee ones bedtimes. The way we work it out is early dinner, a bit of play time and then she's ready for the sack on her normal 8 pm bedtime. Having her with us and not in CC we know what she did all day and if she is tired or over tired.

One problem is that one adult is then in the room for the night, I like to read and normally turn in about 9, so I have no problem with this arrangement.

Yes, take the kids, show them the world..have fun.

DH and I cruised twice without the kids, while they were still pretty young. I have to say the only thing that got me off those ships willingly was going home to my kids. Now that we've taken them with us twice, I really can't see going back to cruising just the two of us while they're still young enough to be willing to come along for a family vacation. Our cruise budget only allows for us to cruise every other year, and at that rate, my cruises with left with my daughter (before she becomes swamped/too busy/and or too old to want to go and be away from her little "world", I imagine) I can probably count on one hand. We'll have plenty of time to cruise as a couple when the kids are grown and gone. Life moves too fast to miss out on memories like that...my son standing waist deep in the turqoise waters of Roatan, my daughter kissing a dolphin in Cozumel, my kids' first snorkeling experience. I consider it part of my duty as a parent to show them the big, beautiful world and teach them their part in it.

That being said, I'm not sure of the cost for 2 BL cabins, but for us in OV cabins, booking 2 is only a few hundred bucks more than adding our 2 kids to our cabin. For us, considering the entire price tag for the cruise, a few hundred dollars is just a small percentage of the overall cost. And the extra space, bathroom and TV are worth it for us.

We have done 3 cruises so far with the kids, most recent on the Dream in an Ocean Suite when they were 12/9. Previous were Fantasy class ships in Riveria deck insides. Snug, but worked. Having the balcony is, to me, a HUGE bonus with the kids. When getting ready, gives a place for those that are ready to go.

We are going on the magic on 1/1 as well - this time in a balcony. Not worried even though they will be 14/11. And oh, by the way, except getting ready for dinner and sleeping, the 4 of us won't be in the cabin at the same time anyways. Kids will be on the slides, or often otherwise doing their own thing.

Have I thought about getting a second cabin? Not yet - maybe next time will price it out. Didn't even try this time as we booked later than we normally would for a holiday trip.

Kevin

Archived