PVP's - what am I missing out on?

jesseiam2

I just got an email moments ago from a Carnival PVP introducing himself and telling me they had some great deals, ect.

My wife has been on 7 cruises and I have been on 5. I booked all of them myself via the internet, sometimes through the Carnival website, sometimes through a 3rd party site. I have never used a TA. I book where I find the best deal.

So what am I missing? Do I need a PVP or better yet, what can a PVP do for me that I cannot do for myself? Perks? OBC? Fruit basket at Xmas? New best friend? :D

I just got an email moments ago from a Carnival PVP introducing himself and telling me they had some great deals, ect.

My wife has been on 7 cruises and I have been on 5. I booked all of them myself via the internet, sometimes through the Carnival website, sometimes through a 3rd party site. I have never used a TA. I book where I find the best deal.

So what am I missing? Do I need a PVP or better yet, what can a PVP do for me that I cannot do for myself? Perks? OBC? Fruit basket at Xmas? New best friend? :D

I have often wondered the same thing...why bother the rates are the same...not sure if they can do more for you than just booking yourself..I would like to know the answer to this as well.

It really depends.

If you find a good PVP, their assistance can be very valuable. Even if you have cruised extensively and think you know everything there is to know about cruising, it's always nice to have someone inside Carnival who knows your preferences, and who will contact you with special deals as soon as they become available, or to update you on Carnival's latest news before they are posted anywhere else (even before Cruise Critic, gasp!). For example, a few years ago, our PVP called us with a $99 last minute deal on a 3 night cruise out of Miami, and within 24 hours, we were lounging on the Lido deck with a drink in hand! :)

Our PVP has been so good to us over the years, that he has even come out to the port of Miami to meet us on embarkation day, and even arranged to have some of our non-sailing friends come aboard to have lunch with us before sailaway.

For us, we need to go through someone to apply a rate that we can't book ourselves since proof of elegibility needs to be verified (interline rates). For example, on our last cruise, balconies were going for $779pp, however with the interline rate, we got ours for $599pp. My PVP has a copy of my credentials on file, which makes elegibility verification completely painless.

For us, it makes sense to have a PVP...

For example, on our last cruise, balconies were going for $779pp, however with the interline rate, we got ours for $599pp. My PVP has a copy of my credentials on file, which makes elegibility verification completely painless.

1st RULE: You do not talk about FIGHT CLUB [interline rates].

2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about FIGHT CLUB [interline rates].

3rd RULE: Never have one too many when non-revving in First Class.

;)

1st RULE: You do not talk about FIGHT CLUB [interline rates].

2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about FIGHT CLUB [interline rates].

3rd RULE: Never have one too many when non-revving in First Class.

;)

HAHAHA! Actually, that was pretty funny! :D

To be honest, I can't tell you that there is any value to a PVP. My PVP doesn't respond to e-mails or voicemails. The only time I get any info from her is if she actually answers her phone. The only value she has added to any that I've booked with her is that she's saved me the time and trouble (haha) of typing my info myself.

I didn't use a PVP and here is why I wish I did.

1) Another CC member was able to use a coupon/certificate that I was not able to use because they went thru a PVP.

2) A more desirable cabin (imo) cabin became available 1 day after I booked online. I suspect a PVP may have had access to althought it wasn't available online.

The reason I didn't use a PVP is because last year I just called in for information and the PVP that I spoke to nagged me death with phone calls and e-mails encouraging me to book.

For us, we always get a better price thru a PVP......for example...he saved us 100pp on our upcoming cruise next month.....this is the 4th time we have used him and everytime, we get a better deal then online.....and have been upgraded twice...so I say yes to going thru a PVP and like any other business...there are good ones and bad ones and unfortuantly if you get a bad one the first time, it kinda make you not want to use them again....

we use a PVP because I like booking directly with carnival. Are there any perks? not really IMO, however it's nice knowing I can call her at any time for anything when needed. We talk about 1/2 hr sometimes about just stuff she's awesome. I like that we have my hubby's Military DD214 on file with carnival and I never have to dig it out again. I think it's just a personal preference. Does she do anything special for us, nope and I don't expect her to, that's how she makes her living.

In addition to what everyone else has said, it's nice to have someone call and wish me bon voyage, as well as call in the weeks following my cruise to find out how I enjoyed my trip. Customer service isn't what it used to be with everything being so automated, and it's nice to have a little extra personal touch. I always use a PVP.

Some PVP's are better than others, but all of them have access to all current rates/promotions that you are eligible for and all available cabins. If you book yourself on the Carnival site you do not have access to some rates you might be eligible for (such as Military), and no matter what site you use you can only see 6-10 of the available cabins per category.

My PVP is very efficient, always answers the phone or calls back promptly and does a bang-up job of finding the best available rate and a cabin in the part of the ship I try to be in. Unlike what some people have reported though she does not ever call me to offer last minute deals, or wish me bon voyage or welcome back, or really does anything other than book what I want when I call her.

To be honest, I can't tell you that there is any value to a PVP. My PVP doesn't respond to e-mails or voicemails. The only time I get any info from her is if she actually answers her phone. The only value she has added to any that I've booked with her is that she's saved me the time and trouble (haha) of typing my info myself.

Unfortunately, we completely agree with your post. We have seen no value whatsoever in using a PVP. Our PVP calls only when I am ready to book and have called the Carnival 800#.... then shows up, nabs the booking and does the disappearing act. Calls are never returned, she is chronically at a "funeral"....we see no value, actually only aggravation. There has been not one "perk" ever, no "bon voyage" sign on our cabin door (which costs nothing), not a bottle of wine, not even a follow up call after the cruise. To us, a PVP is useless. Continue to book online yorself, rates are the same and you don't expect any level of "customer service" from yourself....LOL!!

I didn't use a PVP and here is why I wish I did.

1) Another CC member was able to use a coupon/certificate that I was not able to use because they went thru a PVP. I use a PVP and have never been given a coupon book....so your assumption that a PVP would have given you one is probably not true.

2) A more desirable cabin (imo) cabin became available 1 day after I booked online. I suspect a PVP may have had access to althought it wasn't available online. You don't need a PVP to pick specific cabins. You can call the general 800# and ask for cabin availability that does not show up online. The web only shows 10 cabins at a time, even if the ship is almost empty, but you can call and generally be able to pick......we do it on every booking on our own now.

The reason I didn't use a PVP is because last year I just called in for information and the PVP that I spoke to nagged me death with phone calls and e-mails encouraging me to book.

Your reasons for wishing you had used a PVP are misunderstood, please read my responses in "red". To us a PVP has been of no value.

For us, we always get a better price thru a PVP......for example...he saved us 100pp on our upcoming cruise next month.....this is the 4th time we have used him and everytime, we get a better deal then online.....and have been upgraded twice...so I say yes to going thru a PVP and like any other business...there are good ones and bad ones and unfortuantly if you get a bad one the first time, it kinda make you not want to use them again....

Really??? How is that possible when they are unable to offer any differing prices than the published Carnival rates? Find your statement very difficult to believe...sorry!! However, it is true that there are probably some that are more attentive than others, but not in the pricing (unless you were already booked and there was a price drop that he knew about and gave you unsolicited - which is very good customer service)...but then others were able to obtain that same price drop as well. You did not get a deal on pricing that others could not have gotten as well, which is how I read your comment.

What are you missing out on - nagging, pestering, nonstop phone calls :D

I call the 1-800# - they have all the same info/perks as the PVPs only they do not call you. I had a PVP once and after not being able to get ahold of him by phone for 3 days, I called the 1-800# and had them do my booking. Then he started calling twice a day wanting to book my friends and relatives!!!! Had to put a stop to that - lol!!!!

Really??? How is that possible when they are unable to offer any differing prices than the published Carnival rates? Find your statement very difficult to believe...sorry!! .

I think that the point being made is that sometimes it takes a good, knowledgeable PVP who will take the time to get to know their guest and find the lowest rate they qualify for.

That you can access the same rates no matter how you book your cruise doesn't mean that you will be booking the absolutely lowest rate unless you know that rate exists. Booking directly on the Carnival website may be easy, but you may be missing out on a discount unless you have someone digging deeper. For us, the specific fare code we book under doesn't appear on the Carnival site.

I just booked my first cruise through the PVP. There was no VALUE to it, however, I appreciated being able to ask her questions while I booked. The personal touch was also nice. She's very friendly and returned my emails and calls very quickly.

Unfortunately, we completely agree with your post. We have seen no value whatsoever in using a PVP. Our PVP calls only when I am ready to book and have called the Carnival 800#.... then shows up, nabs the booking and does the disappearing act. Calls are never returned, she is chronically at a "funeral"....we see no value, actually only aggravation. There has been not one "perk" ever, no "bon voyage" sign on our cabin door (which costs nothing), not a bottle of wine, not even a follow up call after the cruise. To us, a PVP is useless. Continue to book online yorself, rates are the same and you don't expect any level of "customer service" from yourself....LOL!!

You have a bad one. If this was me would ask someone you know for recommendation and change.

My PVP has saved me a lot of money,because they can see the rates for residents of certain states more readily and compare them to such things as military rates, etc. Before I call, I go online and pick the cabin that I really want, then call and tell them exactly what I want, then let him look at the different rates and come up with what I want, sometimes he can even work something out that is like having the upgrade fairy right there and then, with a decent rate to upgrade to the next level. So I have gotten my moneys worth out of David, my PVP.

My suggestion is get one you like, and keep his extension number and use him, he will get to know you and what you like, and how you like to do things.

Thanks to all who have replied, I appreciate you taking the time.

From the responses I gather that unless I get someone who is going above and beyond, then I am not missing anything. For those going above and beyond, I am missing out on good customer service (but when I do it myself the service I get is pretty good, lol).

I know the PVP's are all in sales, they are measured and employed based on their ability to close the deal, so I understand their zeal for making sure you use them. Its gotta be a tough job, especially when it is so difficult to prove your worth in dollars and cents. TAs lost out on tons of business with the internet becoming the way people book travel and vacations now. I may use the PVP to book the cruise after I have done what I would normally do, if they can add value, then great, if not, then no loss.

Thanks to all who have replied, I appreciate you taking the time.

From the responses I gather that unless I get someone who is going above and beyond, then I am not missing anything. For those going above and beyond, I am missing out on good customer service (but when I do it myself the service I get is pretty good, lol).

I know the PVP's are all in sales, they are measured and employed based on their ability to close the deal, so I understand their zeal for making sure you use them. Its gotta be a tough job, especially when it is so difficult to prove your worth in dollars and cents. TAs lost out on tons of business with the internet becoming the way people book travel and vacations now. I may use the PVP to book the cruise after I have done what I would normally do, if they can add value, then great, if not, then no loss.

I started with TA, went to pvp and when he left now with ta.

One place a pvp does add value is if you want fast turnaround. We had booking with ES and noticed nice price drop. By the time my TA responded lost it.

With pvp you can go direct to the source.

I started with TA, went to pvp and when he left now with ta.

One place a pvp does add value is if you want fast turnaround. We had booking with ES and noticed nice price drop. By the time my TA responded lost it.

With pvp you can go direct to the source.

Whether you book with a PVP or through Carnival.com you can put in for a price drop on the website. I wouldn't trust my PVP to deal with a price drop.

For those of you with a good one...you're lucky! :D

You have a bad one. If this was me would ask someone you know for recommendation and change.

So do you know how you request a change??? MINE SUCKS to put it nicely :)

I have asked Carnival through various points of contact how to get off of my PVP's list (who by the way was randomly assigned to me and I have never booked with him) and get with someone else and no one seems to know...

Archived