Air departure from FLL

Bazel

Hi CC World!

It's been many years since we sailed on HAL and we are looking at a Maasdam sailing in January. Having some challenges find good air schedules that are not super pricey.

Is HAL offering early disembarkation if you handle your own luggage?

And, how early can I safely scheudle a flight from FLL if we early disembark?

Thanks,

Bz

Yes, you can self disembark with your own luggage. And most posters here say that they get to the airport by 8:30 (we have).

That said, the timing of your flight is open to great discussion. Noon and later are preferred by many, but you can find a current discussion here that suggests that many others do leave from 11 on.

As usual, there are few firm answers since the ship usually arrives and clears on time, but there are no promises.

Yes, you can self disembark with your own luggage. And most posters here say that they get to the airport by 8:30 (we have).

That said, the timing of your flight is open to great discussion. Noon and later are preferred by many, but you can find a current discussion here that suggests that many others do leave from 11 on.

As usual, there are few firm answers since the ship usually arrives and clears on time, but there are no promises.

so true, we just got back from FLL and early people (self disembarkation) were only getting off around 8:20. They were waiting for clearance for the luggage. I believe the ship arrived a bit later than planned so therefore the hold up. so you do need to allow yourself some time, HOWEVER, we would have easily made an 11 a.m. flight just the same. (I don't book that early as I am a nervous nilly).:D

I have easily made the 11:30 to ATL.

This time we tried the luggage service (leave it outside your cabin door and pick up at home) and it was wonderful! We were at the airport before 9:00 and could have gone standby on an earlier flight if it had been available.

Thanks everyone. I think I need to play it safe (I am a nervous nellie too) and not book anything prior to 11:00am. I am just surprised at how booked the flights appear to be as it is a Monday return ... :rolleyes:

Now with AA filing chapter 11 they are off the list as I think they won't be covered by Travel Insurance so that further shrinks our options.

We always do self-disembarkation. It allows us to get off first thing, our experience that we get off within 10-15 minutes of the all clear. Also you get to keep your luggage until the next morning and get to avoid the luggage search the next morning.

Kirk

We always do self-disembarkation. It allows us to get off first thing, our experience that we get off within 10-15 minutes of the all clear. Also you get to keep your luggage until the next morning and get to avoid the luggage search the next morning.

Kirk

We don't do self-disembarkation because quite frankly we probably have too much darn luggage. :o :eek: That said I'm not sure taking your own luggage off precludes a potential luggage search. When we disembarked in March we were in the first group and decided to go ahead and leave the ship. Even with the self-disembarkation folks ahead of us we must have been in the first 50 or so people to leave the ship. There was some poor couple who "won" the luggage search lotto and Customs had their stuff spread over a couple of tables in the corner. I don't know that they were self-disembarkers or not but they got off awfully early considering how much of their luggage was unpacked and being gone through. I have no idea what the criteria is for a luggage search other than I guess Customs has to search some luggage if for no other reason than to say they're doing their jobs. Not that we've done anything or tried to bring anything back without claiming it that would make us worry but we've luckily never been subject to search in all our cruises or overseas travel. Again, probably luck of the draw and maybe not fitting whatever profile Customs uses.

Got off the Eurodam, self disembark. Walked right off. 2 minutes at customs, grabbed a cab, and headed out. At FLL by 7:45. 7 ships in port, including one of the new monsters. Wished I had booked one of the earlier flights instead of 11:30! I know it's not always this way, but it sure was easy for us.

Maybe I missed it in one of the posts, but Miami is an alternative. I found all the flights to the west coast from FLL leaving quite early, enough to make trying to catch them more drama than I needed. I then checked on MIA and found out that I could take a ship to airport bus transfer with a Ft Lauderdale tour and MIA dropoff and still make the west coast the same day. Bonus. Relax, fly in the day before, airport transfer, flyout MIA. Problem solved.

Got off the Eurodam, self disembark. Walked right off. 2 minutes at customs, grabbed a cab, and headed out. At FLL by 7:45. 7 ships in port, including one of the new monsters. Wished I had booked one of the earlier flights instead of 11:30! I know it's not always this way, but it sure was easy for us.

Yes, the long wait for that 11:30 flight is uncomfortable. The tradeoff is NOT standing in that awful heat outside or the loooooong line inside to check in. Very few pax in the security line.

If you stay a day/ngiht in Ft Lauderdale you might find cheaper flights out on Tuesday.

That is what I would do. I just do not like the rush of going into the Airport with the mad dash of people getting off cruise ships.

If you stay a day/ngiht in Ft Lauderdale you might find cheaper flights out on Tuesday.

While that has been mentioned to me several times the cost of additional nights of hotel usually is far more than the savings to fly during the weekend days, let alone missing additional days of work. Let's see save $60.00 per person on air or pay $150.00 more for another night's hotel stay:confused: While it sounds good at first it definitely is not a winning venture.

We're saving $250 in air fare by staying in FLL an extra night. For us it's great as we would have had to spend that night in Albuquerque anyway, so now we can get a reasonable timed flight and a more relaxed schedule. Everybody has their unique situation so I think it's worth offering as an option to consider. Workdays are part of what needs to be factored in. Hope it workes out for the OP. m--

Archived