?s about M/V Fram - Hurtigruten

Sparky333

Weather today in Port Lockroy which is one of our anticipated stops is 29 degrees but feels like 22. Sounds a little cold so definitely layer time.

We had above freezing temps and rain. Cold but dry is better!

I have a tour arranged with a guy that was recommended on the S. America board here so we can make the most of the short time we'll be in BA. I wish we could've extended the trip and had another couple days there.

Have a great trip too! Good luck packing this weekend - really the only downside to traveling!!

• 7 months later...

As far as I know Fram only use the Polar Cirkel Boats for tendering.

They are very sturdy and confortable, and easy to go in and out (if you can sit, stand, and climb 2 small steps, you'll be OK, and the crew members will assist you if necessary).

You can get a bit wet though, that's why you are advised to bring a pair of waterproof pants.

Thanks for the reply. We leave Buenos Aires on Fram on November 2 and Stanley is our first stop. I was hoping that since there's a town and a dock, I could avoid the boots and waterproof pants at Stanley...

I think someone said on another thread that Stanley was actually not a tender port but that the ship was docking and you can just walk out of it.

If that turns out not to be the case, I'm sure you can leave your waterproof pants ashore when exiting the PolarCirkel Boat and pick it up on the way back (or put it in a plastic bag in your backpack).

I'm not sure about the sanitary regulation in South Georgia/Falklands, but in Antarctica you have to disinfect your shoes (cleaning bath and shower) before and after landing so it's better to have boots anyway (even if it was to be a "dry" landing).

You will have a wonderful time! ;) Please make a review on your way back for us Antarctica nostalgics... :p

Can anyone tell me whether Fram uses the Polar Cirkel boats for all landings, or wheether they use the ship's lifeboats as tenders for ports like Stanley in the Falklands?

Thanks

The Polar Cirkel's are used for all landings and you will need waterproof trousers (on our trip earlier this year we were told they were mandatory) and boots (Muck boots are available for hire on board at a reasonable cost).

Stanley is not a tender port: Fram docks at FIPASS just on the edge of Stanley. The landings on West Falkland are, however, tendered.

Many thanks, Digitl for your reply.

Got the waterproof pants already in the suitcase... and I'm glad to hear that Fram will dock at Stanley; I intend to wander the harbor area on my own and I couldn't imagine doing it in the boots, especially because I wear orthotics and I'm not sure if I'll be able to use them in the boots.

Apparently Fram's smaller size and limited draft allows her to dock; relatives were there on Veendam in 2010 and they had to tender.

I expected all the other stops to be tendered on the Polar Cirkels... there's arenlt any docks to speak of, as far as I can tell!

Thanks again to all.

Bill

I'm glad to hear that Fram will dock at Stanley; I intend to wander the harbor area on my own

The harbour area isn't all that interesting.

Fram will provide a shuttle into Stanley, which is interesting, and there will be tours available from the dock. The Bluff Cove Lagoon tour is excellent and has a real mixture of experiences to offer.

"Stanley folk are perfectly use to the sight of "tourists" walking around in their waterproof pants !"

Even without waterproof pants, it's easy to spot the tourists - they are the ones wandering in the middle of the road, in danger of getting run over by a local driver.

Please stick to the pavements/sidewalks. I know Antarctica doesn't have them, but we do!

"but I'm interested in old ships and the harbor has many wrecks, storage hulks, etc"

About 21 wrecks I believe. Might make a cynic think that the locals used to deliberately wreck ships so they could salvage them as in Cornwall.....

You might be interested in the local museum in Stanley. On its Facebook page its running a photo competition - this week the subject is "Maritime History".

Lots of old photos and memories being dragged out. I was surprised to see a Sunderland flying boat in Stanley Harbour!

If you head away from Stanley - there are about 4 interesting wrecks around Whalebone Cove (about a mile walk) - the Lady Elizabeth being the most photogenic.

Or you can book a walk around the area (Gypsy Cove). I did that last year from the Fram, and have ended up back in Stanley!

Peterscot, thanks for the further information. I've bought online a boooklet describing the old ships and with a map of the harbor, so I'm doing my homework. Since we dock as FIPASS, I think I'll walk over to Whalebone Cove first for the Lade Elizabeth, Golden Chance, etc., and then take the Fram's shuttle to the town jetty to continue on the other side of the center. The museum is on my list! And maybe a Falklands sweater/jumper.

You might be interested in the local museum in Stanley. On its Facebook page its running a photo competition - this week the subject is "Maritime History".

Thank you very much for all the information. Could you give me the link to the FB page (or the name I should be looking for), I can't find it at the moment.

Similarly, Steamboat Bill, could you let me know where you found the booklet you are mentioning? Thank you!

The booklet is by Graham L. Bound, "A Guide to the Stanley Harbour Maritime History Trail." I found it on http://www.abebooks.com, but I believe I got the only copy listed there. It was published in 1990 by Falkland Islands Tourism, and one guidebook says it's available at the tourist office at the Public Jetty in Stanley. Since the tourist office published it, the staff there would certainly know where you can get it if the office doesn;t have it.

Archived