evacuation insurance

Evacuation insurance is for medical emergencies when getting evac'd off the ship

or

if you need evac'd from the islands back home.

My personal medical will pay for air evac to the nearest medical facility to stabilize my condition. However, they will not pay to get me back home for continued care.

Evacuation coverage is medical emergency only.

It probably wouldn't apply in the circumstance by the OP but some plans do cover evacuations for reasons other than a medical emergency. For example, this is from TravelSafe:

"Non-Medical Emergency Evacuation Benefits

All reasonable expenses incurred for Your transportation to the nearest place of safety, or to Your home, are covered, up to a maximum of $25,000, if You must leave Your Trip for a Covered Reason.

Evacuation must occur within 10 days of any covered event. Arrangements will be by the most appropriate and economical means available and consistent with Your health and safety. Benefits are only payable for arrangements made by One Call Worldwide Travel Services Network, Inc.

Covered Reasons : We will pay for the Non-Medical Emergency Evacuation Benefits listed above if, while on Your Trip, a formal recommendation from the appropriate local authorities, or the U.S. State Department, is issued for You to leave a country You are visiting on Your Trip due to: 1) a natural disaster; 2) civil, military or political unrest; or 3) Your being expelled or declared a persona non-grata by a country You are visiting on Your Trip. "

If I was doing a Nile River cruise I think I'd want this extra "get me the heck out of here" protection.

Is evacuation insurance only for if you get sick and have to be flown out by helicopter? What if the ship has problems and everyone has to abandon ship in the life boats? Is that covered whether you have evac insurance or not?

I believe trip cancellation and interruption is what would cover you in the scenario you pointed out.

Archived