quality of Celebrity musical artists

Holden von Vloppen

The only cruise I've ever done was on the Carnival Conquest. I had a great time. The service was good, the food quality excellent, and the excursions fun. The weak point seemed to be the quality of the musical entertainment. They weren't dreadful, but they also weren't anything special. They performed cover music in tune with reasonable competency, but there wasn't anyone who wowed me. I've seen far better local talent here in Omaha.

I'm wondering if Celebrity might be an upgrade. I know that recently opera artist Leandra Ramm was on the Equinox. (not sure if she's still there). She's an exceptional talent. I have her album. I like a wide variety of music -- rock, jazz, classical, opera. I have a thing for the Celebrity Equinox. I've been reading up on it and following its itinerary. Since they're the ship that hired Leandra Ramm, perhaps it's a safe bet that they hire first rate talent. Maybe that's the ship I should go with whether she's still there or not.

What do you think?

Often wonderful -- if you get to hear a pianist named Hyperion Knight he's exceptional -- but generally enjoyable even if not first rate. In addition to the main stage headliners, they also have wandering a cappella quartets who are a lot of fun and generally quite good.

We thoroughly enjoyed the performers on our recent Infinity trip. I don't think any of them WOWed us but they were fun, easy to listen to and put a lot of effort into their performances. But you are not going to see major talent from Broadway on a cruise ship. The pay and working conditions are not up to those standards.

The a capella group Full Tilt is on Equinox and they are terrific!

The latin guitarist Nestor Santurio seemed pretty popular.

We didn't really seek out the string trio Livadiya or the jazz group The Dara Tucker Quartet.

If you are a classical music buff, the string quartets are always superb. Its just something that relaxes me so I go wherever they are scheduled. There was a group of Russian string players that were exceptional on my Summit cruise and I bought their CDs.

The only cruise I've ever done was on the Carnival Conquest. I had a great time. The service was good, the food quality excellent, and the excursions fun. The weak point seemed to be the quality of the musical entertainment. They weren't dreadful, but they also weren't anything special. They performed cover music in tune with reasonable competency, but there wasn't anyone who wowed me. I've seen far better local talent here in Omaha.

I'm wondering if Celebrity might be an upgrade. I know that recently opera artist Leandra Ramm was on the Equinox. (not sure if she's still there). She's an exceptional talent. I have her album. I like a wide variety of music -- rock, jazz, classical, opera. I have a thing for the Celebrity Equinox. I've been reading up on it and following its itinerary. Since they're the ship that hired Leandra Ramm, perhaps it's a safe bet that they hire first rate talent. Maybe that's the ship I should go with whether she's still there or not.

What do you think?

P.S. Certain ships don't actually hire "first rate talent" (where there is an opening, a musician is thrown in) but...it's usually harder to get a contract as a musician on a "solstice" ship, or one of the newer ships because they put more experienced musicians on there first and/or some extend their contract and they just will hire "fill-ins" for them on their off time. Talent agencies hire the musicians/dancers/magicians/comedians etc.. too, not usually Celebrity itself. :)

Just off the Constellation and thought the entertainment was EXCEPTIONAL. The production shows were very entertaining and quite professional, and there were several talented performers at various other venues on a daily basis. :)

Just off the Millenium... and I agree the talent wasn't great... just ok.

But....entertainment is the only thing cruise ships don't get extra revenue from... so they're not going to spend a fortune on it!!

About the best entertainment we found was on NCL, and MSC.

Archived