many bad reviews for Pride of America

We sailed on PofA in Nov/Dec 2009 and had NO complaints. We are pretty independent and do not require reassurance at every corner so to speak, so maybe we are different. We'd planned our activities out, had every hour accounted for, so that we had almost no free time on the ship except for dinner. We went to bed immediately after dinner in the main dining room which was enjoyable, food and piano wise. We did not even sit out on the aft balcony, so I agree with an earlier poster that you do not need a balcony for this sailing.

We found that the all US crew (I think it's more like 90%, but the remaining 10% at least speak English) made for a more cohesive experience, probably because there was no language barrier so better communication between departements.

Truly, if you leave the ship for excursions/rental cars each day you will be so overjoyed to settle into a meal and bed in order to be ready for the next day, that you won't have time to worry or complain about any differences on this ship and any other.

Enjoy yourself!

I have seen a couple of references to being a vegan, but I don't think you have stated you are a vegan. If you are that might be something totally different. Most of us know vegan diets are much harder to satisfy than vegetarian.

I'm a vegetarian, but vegan meals are strongly preferred. At home I cook nothing but vegan, but when I'm traveling I'm more flexible thus allowing for vegetarian meals. On the Carnival Conquest, I was able to eat vegan in the buffet dining room, but in other ones I needed to settle for vegetarian. I may have been able to get vegan meals in the regular dining rooms if I had contacted them in advance, but I was on vacation and not out to make a fuss.

I'm starting to realize that the Pride of America might be just fine. The islands are actually close together compared with the ports in the Caribbean and the Mediterranean. I used to live in Hawaii years ago. You can actually sail from one island to another in an ordinary sail boat (though you'd better make sure you know what you're doing). Even living there, we never, ever did multiple island hopping one after the other. That would be too expensive. We would book a flight to Maui or the Big Island and just go there. (We were on Oahu.)

What????????????? How much someone posts dictates how seasoned of a cruiser they are? May they choose to ignore commenting unless they truely have something of value to say....................... hint hint

Perhaps if you TRUELY felt that the number of posts a person has is meaningless, you could explain your logic to the Mods and have them completely remove the post count feature from the message boards.

Sure would solve the issue, wouldn't it?

Perhaps if you TRUELY felt that the number of posts a person has is meaningless, you could explain your logic to the Mods and have them completely remove the post count feature from the message boards.

He didn't say that post count was meaningless, just that it does not dictate how seasoned a cruiser they are (or how knowledgeable IMO). People can post all they want, doesn't mean they are always right. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Let me see -- here is the logic:

(1) You can NOT be a seasoned cruiser unless you have a high post count.

(2) People who have high post counts are all seasoned cruisers.

These are absolutes. And yes, absolutes are MEANINGLESS. The person who stated that someone could not be a seasoned cruiser as they had a low post count -- well that is just irrational. To the other person who claimed that it is true more often than not -- well that makes no sense. To harp at me that I am "anti-post count" well that is just not relevant to my comment and TRUELY silly.

If they are so called seasoned cruisers they should know what to take and not take from reviews.

First off there are over 2000 passengers or approx 800 to 1000 couples per cruise, out of each cruise (52 per year) how many of those couples post reviews, the % is minute.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do the math and therfore take the reviews with a grain of salt.

SOME PEOPLE SHOULD JUST STICK TO CAMPING!

Let me see -- here is the logic:

(1) You can NOT be a seasoned cruiser unless you have a high post count.

(2) People who have high post counts are all seasoned cruisers.

These are absolutes. And yes, absolutes are MEANINGLESS. The person who stated that someone could not be a seasoned cruiser as they had a low post count -- well that is just irrational. To the other person who claimed that it is true more often than not -- well that makes no sense. To harp at me that I am "anti-post count" well that is just not relevant to my comment and TRUELY silly.

I see. Absolutes are meaningless (isn't THAT an absolute?). I'm also guessing that "you could explain your logic to the Mods " is meaningless too, right?

You seem to want to harp on this post count thing. As I said before, if you TRUELY believe that the post count is meaningless, then just convince the Mods to remove it. Problem solved.

Just wanted to agree completely with the previous post. We did the Hawaii cruise in May and loved it. The service is different (we had been on 14 previous cruises, 4 of them on NCL), but we enjoyed the difference. It was great to see the crew really enjoying themselves when they left the ship - they seemed like "regular" American kids having a great work experience and seeing a new part of the world. In fact, we have tried to convince my youngest stepdaughter to join up. I lived in the islands for 8 years (back in the '70's) and thought that the cruise was a wonderful way to see the neighbor islands. We had exhausting days hiking, snorkeling, and driving, but had time for the evening entertainment on the ship. They didn't have "production numbers," but it was enjoyable. Would recommend this cruise to anyone and hope to do it again myself!

Having just returned home from the Dec. 3-10 POA Cruise, I can easily say....TAKE THE TRIP. The islands were beautiful. The ship was well maintained. and the crew was more than friendly. Questions???

Hi Kato92 and thank you...

How hard was it to be unplanned for a fee restaurant or dining room meal around seven or eight..do you need to make reservations? Long waits?

Hi Kato92 and thank you...

How hard was it to be unplanned for a fee restaurant or dining room meal around seven or eight..do you need to make reservations? Long waits?

Other than Teppanayaki, most restaurants were available at all times. Tables for 2 were more available than 4 or more. dining rooms would claim a 15 minute wait..but would page you within 2.

I see. Absolutes are meaningless (isn't THAT an absolute?). I'm also guessing that "you could explain your logic to the Mods " is meaningless too, right?

You seem to want to harp on this post count thing. As I said before, if you TRUELY believe that the post count is meaningless, then just convince the Mods to remove it. Problem solved.

I never said post counts were meaningless I have no idea where that came from -- I simply asked how one can say someone is NOT a seasoned cruiser because they do not have a high post count. That is irrational. Perhaps you should take a free class on "set theory" -- because you seem to be missing the basic logic. Of course the double negative may be a bit much to comprehend. Given the low level of intellect in this debate, I am done.

We are confirmed NCLers but there are options including a very good princess cruise out of LA so you get to sail to and from HI and don't have to hassle getting to HI....it's alot easier and less expensive to get to LA.

I didn't realize there were cruises from LA to Hawaii. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to compare plane prices to LA versus those to Honolulu. I'm far from either of those cities. (I'm in Omaha, NE.)

Other Topic: I would request that people simply agree to disagree on the post count thing. It's not worth get upset with one another over, and it's not what this thread is about anyway. Thanks.

I didn't realize there were cruises from LA to Hawaii. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to compare plane prices to LA versus those to Honolulu. I'm far from either of those cities. (I'm in Omaha, NE.)

Keep in mind that the cruises that go from the west coast to HI are not offered all year round and do not offer the same amount of time on the islands themselves once you get there, compared to the POA. You'd also be looking at several sea days to get there and back. It depends on what you want the focus of your trip to be. If it's the cruise experience, then sailing from the west coast would be a great option. If it's seeing Hawaii, the POA is the best way to go.

I also wonder if the people who wrote the bad reviews were pickier than I am. I was very happy with Carnival's service. I thought it ranged from acceptable to outstanding. Carnival isn't known as top of the line. It's more known as a budget cruise line, but I was happy with them.

You say you were happy with your Carnival cruise. Did you ever go back and read reviews after your sail?

I very seldom will ever read reviews unless they are on the main board and that is only for fun.

But also for fun I will go back and read reviews of a cruise I have already taken. It's absolutely comical. I swear these people were not on the same ship as I was.

So my point is be very careful when reading reviews remember it is only one persons opinion or sometimes just a way to bash a company.

Archived