Business in the Caribbean is Not Good......

sail7seas

We were in Aruba in March and found Ferragamo Store closed. Louis Vuitton had merchandise but the doors were locked on a weekday. It appeared they were readying for closure but can't say that for sure.

I just read on another forum here at CC that Gandleman's Jewelers in Curacao has closed. They've been a solid family business in the Caribbean (Curacao and Aruba) for years. We shopped there in March for Alviero Martini. They are the only ones I know carry that brand. Closed? Makes me so upset.

Tropicana Perfumerie on Main Street, St. Thomas. They were in business forever...... closed. Longchamps, next door to Tropicana, closed.

Jewelry store after jewelry store shows sales people resting their heads on their bent elbows leaning on glass cases no one is buying from.

Seems not only are people not spending on the ships during their cruises but apparently they aren't spending ashore either.

How many cruisers really can't afford to be booking these vacations? This makes me feel so badly. I'm sure these few stores I happen to know are just a small representation of how bad business really is.

How many cruisers really can't afford to be booking these vacations? This makes me feel so badly. I'm sure these few stores I happen to know are just a small representation of how bad business really is.

I'm not sure what you mean by this part of your post. Just because one isn't spending in the stores on the islands doesn't mean that one can't afford to be booking a cruise vacation. Maybe I'm just reading your post incorrectly, but I just don't understand what you're stating here.

Thank you!!

:) :)

When people had money, they spent money.

For all the years we've been cruising, until the last several years, the stores were jammed with shoppers. Jewelers cash registers were singing, Tropicana bright pink bags were seen in many hands walking up and down Main Street......

On the ships, bars were busy and people were in the shops and buying photos and spending. This is far less so today IMO

That is not the case these days.

We saw a huge difference in the on shore activity in March and again when we just cruise November/December.

It is just my opinion that many people are barely able to pay for their cruise and there is little left over for extras. Not saying that isn't fine and they shouldn't spend as and what they wish where and how they wish....... but it is an obvious observation I see when I hear of all these store closings. These stores aren't fly by night, underfunded new shops. These are well established, long terms businesses that it would seem cannot afford to keep their doors open.

People are not spending.

Fares keep dropping.

Low fares have to mean reduction in on board experience IMO

Have to echo what you say Sail.

The amount of onboard activity where a buck is spent on mass-market like HAL has been disappointing and getting worse.

That translates into less of a cruise experience.

And I well remember droves heading ashore to support the local economy.

Now it seems like a quick walk through town and back aboard for lunch.

No wonder the Caribbean runs are being reduced.

People are not spending.

Fares keep dropping.

Low fares have to mean reduction in on board experience IMO

Where are these so called low fares? I keep hearing it here but I've never cashed in. My next caribbean cruise in Feb. is costing me $2500 for the cruise alone. That's for 7 days. That is not what I would call a low fare. In the case of high end stores closing I don't have a lot of sympathy. I'm worried about losing my own job and have for years.

Amount of money one has is not at all related to their 'class'.

There are plenty of 'high class' folks who have limited resources. Plenty of people with lots of funds who are not particularly 'high class'.

IMO

I didn't say that and didn't infer it. If that is what I meant, I would have said so.

As to high end shops closing, of course it is upsetting. All the people that worked there are now out of work. What's the difference if the salesperson in Ferragamo lost their job or the salesperson in WalMart, they would both be out of work.

$2500 for two or one?

My 10-day is costing $11,000 on Seabourn. Id say $2500 is pretty darn cheap.

Seabourn and HAL are hardly the same:rolleyes:. If HAL can't make a go of it on my $357 per day they need to sell their ships and go out of business.

And while I get what you're saying, take a look around. It isn't just the shops in the Caribbean...it's everywhere. While I feel bad and it is a shame that these long-time businesses there have gone under, how many businesses do you know in your area that have not made it through this time of economic turmoil right here in the US? I know I can name a handful just off the top of my head...and those are just local, not to mention the national companies that have gone under as well.

For us, we have specific things that we intend on purchasing while on a cruise, but sometimes we come home empty-handed. For instance, we always buy many fragrances in St Thomas @ AHRiise, however on our sailing in October we did not buy a thing until we got back to Ft Lauderdale and went shopping before our flight home because we didn't find anything we wanted on the islands we visited.

Keep in mind too that there are many more shopping options available right here at home now. For instance, a few weeks ago we bought a rather expensive new handbag for my SIL's birthday and with coupons, etc and purchasing it at the factory store we were able to save almost 50% off of the price. Why would I purchase something in the islands when I can get such bargains like this right at home and not have to worry about carrying it with me from the islands?

I think the industry has changed so much...just like everything else. The "extras" that you're referring to are not necessarily things that are important to many these days. Many people are able to save to have a wonderful vacation and enjoy themselves on the ship and doing excursions, etc, but all of the excessive spending is not necessarily as important as it used to be to many. While there are many of us that enjoy the "bargains" that are or used to be there for the taking on the islands, many more people are discovering cruising just for that and not for all of those "extras".

What's the difference if the salesperson in Ferragamo lost their job or the salesperson in WalMart, they would both be out of work.

There seems to be a lot of retail jobs open in Calgary so I wouldn't think the employment would be that hard to replace. Maybe it would be in the Caribbean. The amounts that some of the designers charge for their clothing, purses etc. are outragous. The good times may be over for some.

There recently was an article about air travel. And some of the things just said were said there.

So instead of an enjoyable experience, air travel became a bus with wings.

Cruise ships are headed that direction. When will it go from great vacation to a cheap thrill?

Seabourn is actually cheaper than sailing in a HAL suite.

ok...and so? I'm not the one saying that fares are cheap......because in my mind they are not. If you are sitting on a couple of million in the bank then maybe $11,000 is cheap to you. I'm not in that position and I'm sure a lot others aren't either.

Im not sitting on a million. But I want value for what I spend. And Seabourn offers that compared to what I'd have to spend on HAL in addition to the fare. That wasn't always the case. But as fewer people spent, onboard expenses rose, diminishing the cruise experience in my opinion.

On my upcoming cruise, we'll call at St Barts. It will cost $100 Euro roundtrip to go to the beach that we'd like to visit. It will cost $90 Euro for 2 chairs and an umbrella.

If we spent all year shopping for bargain cruises, we would have the money tospend on a very unique and special experience. We'd rather wait and save.

And while I get what you're saying, take a look around. It isn't just the shops in the Caribbean...it's everywhere. While I feel bad and it is a shame that these long-time businesses there have gone under, how many businesses do you know in your area that have not made it through this time of economic turmoil right here in the US? I know I can name a handful just off the top of my head...and those are just local, not to mention the national companies that have gone under as well.

For us, we have specific things that we intend on purchasing while on a cruise, but sometimes we come home empty-handed. For instance, we always buy many fragrances in St Thomas @ AHRiise, however on our sailing in October we did not buy a thing until we got back to Ft Lauderdale and went shopping before our flight home because we didn't find anything we wanted on the islands we visited.

Keep in mind too that there are many more shopping options available right here at home now. For instance, a few weeks ago we bought a rather expensive new handbag for my SIL's birthday and with coupons, etc and purchasing it at the factory store we were able to save almost 50% off of the price. Why would I purchase something in the islands when I can get such bargains like this right at home and not have to worry about carrying it with me from the islands?

I think the industry has changed so much...just like everything else. The "extras" that you're referring to are not necessarily things that are important to many these days. Many people are able to save to have a wonderful vacation and enjoy themselves on the ship and doing excursions, etc, but all of the excessive spending is not necessarily as important as it used to be to many. While there are many of us that enjoy the "bargains" that are or used to be there for the taking on the islands, many more people are discovering cruising just for that and not for all of those "extras".

Absolutely, I can name business in our area that are closed due to the economy. Restaurants and stores... some national. Being aware of what is happening elsewhere, does not translate into being unaware at home. Most of us can do both.

As to buying local, I absolutely agree. Keep all business local when possible.

The items I wished to purchase at the store, Gandleman's, are not available at any U.S. location that I know of. I have searched endlessly to find Alviero Martini products in the U.S. and cannot locate them. If anyone knows of a source, PLEASE share the information.

For me to feel bad for people in the Caribbean to be losing their jobs, does not mean I feel less for Americans or Candians or anyone else. I firmly believe everyone should have the 'right' to a decent job.

We have cruised and shopped those stores for so long, we know some of those now unemployed people and I feel for them.

I think most can understand that.

*Before someone pounces about luxury goods and no need to purchase them, I want that Alviero Martini for my heart surgeon's nurse. She has been very kind to me, she has admired it and I wish to purchase it for her.

ok...and so? I'm not the one saying that fares are cheap......because in my mind they are not. If you are sitting on a couple of million in the bank then maybe $11,000 is cheap to you. I'm not in that position and I'm sure a lot others aren't either.

I have heard of HAL fares, seven days, Caribbean $499. I think that is cheap.

JMO........

Personally, I cruise to visit places, not to shop. I don't particularly enjoy shopping at home, and I really don't enjoy bucking the crowds at a cruise port when I could be elsewhere doing something I couldn't do at home?

Am I that unusual?

I have heard of HAL fares, seven days, Caribbean $499. I think that is cheap.

JMO........

I agree, that is super cheap and one that I have never seen. The cheapest caribbean cruise I ever took was about $1200. That was for the cheapest inside room and it was in 2003. If a person were free to go at any time I'm sure there are bargains to be found. As long as I'm employed I won't have the luxury to go at the drop of a hat. Even if I could, the airfare would besure to kill the deal. You folks must see a lot better deals then I see in my neck of the woods.

For me to feel bad for people in the Caribbean to be losing their jobs, does not mean I feel less for Americans or Candians or anyone else. I firmly believe everyone should have the 'right' to a decent job.

I have never believed that I had a "right" to a decent job. I have always believed that a decent job was a privilege that I had to educate, train and work for. I guess that's why I was always fortunate enough to find a job -- decent or not.

Things have become much tougher in the economy lately, even for people who would be considered well-to-do. College tuition and health care costs have skyrocketed. Homes can no longer be considered 'piggy banks' to extract equity so as to be able to take vacations, etc. Much more has to be set aside for retirement and long term care insurance and so on.

The rest of the world is catching up to us in living standards, so that stores in other countries have higher employee costs and other overheads than they used to, and so cannot offer the bargains they used to, and so there is less attraction to shop there. It's all called change.

Archived