Business in the Caribbean is Not Good......

sail7seas

Lorekauf

It was 7 days. Too bad I don't have the paperwork so I could prove it. I may be able to get a better price if I went thru some cheapo internet site where I could end up losing my money because they are not above boards. Because I also book my cruises far ahead of when I take them I am not going to gamble with the USD exchange. I find it odd that people are so interested in doubting what I say. While some people may choose to lie for no reason anyone that knows me I'm a pretty straight shooter. The price I have stated are single supp and include taxes. To quote a price w/o tax is useless since the tax needs to be paid.

IMO, Lorekauf, you have high credibility here and no reason to defend yourself. I, personally, have no reason to doubt what you say. :)

First of all, Hi "Sail7seas" (Judy) last year this time we were on our fave ship the Maasdam

<snip>

Hi Airlink Diva..... Great to hear from you. We'll be back on the beautiful Maasdam, hopefully, in April. Would be great to sail with you again.

Hi

It was 7 days. Too bad I don't have the paperwork so I could prove it:rolleyes:. I may be able to get a better price if I went thru some cheapo internet site where I could end up losing my money because they are not above boards. Because I also book my cruises far ahead of when I take them I am not going to gamble with the USD exchange. I find it odd that people are so interested in doubting what I say. While some people may choose to lie for no reason anyone that knows me I'm a pretty straight shooter. The price I have stated are single supp and include taxes. To quote a price w/o tax is useless since the tax needs to be paid.

I don't think anyone was doubting what you said and there is no need justify or proof anything to anyone. At the time when you booked that was probably the best available. It also makes a difference that you are traveling alone as the price examples that I gave were per person sharing one cabin. $1,200 for a cabin just for yourself is of course much higher than what each person would have paid if they would be sharing the cabin. I have taken one cruise as a solo cruiser and also paid $ 1,000 for a 4 day cruise on the Statendam. If someone was cruising with me I would have said it was only $ 500 per person. I think that is where your cruise fare comes from and makes a lot of sense now.

I don't think anyone was doubting what you said and there is no need justify or proof anything to anyone. At the time when you booked that was probably the best available. It also makes a difference that you are traveling alone as the price examples that I gave were per person sharing one cabin. $1,200 for a cabin just for yourself is of course much higher than what each person would have paid if they would be sharing the cabin. I have taken one cruise as a solo cruiser and also paid $ 1,000 for a 4 day cruise on the Statendam. If someone was cruising with me I would have said it was only $ 500 per person. I think that is where your cruise fare comes from and makes a lot of sense now.

I can't see that particular posters question as anything but doubting. There is a history there of doubting so I felt I was being questioned. If it was anyone else I might not have seen it that way. I just don't know why people would lie to make a price sound higher...lower yes....but not higher.

I can't see that particular posters question as anything but doubting. There is a history there of doubting so I felt I was being questioned. If it was anyone else I might not have seen it that way. I just don't know why people would lie to make a price sound higher...lower yes....but not higher.

You have been around these threads for much longer and know members on here much better than most. You have also been on way more HAL cruises than I have been. Most important is that you know you contributed something that is helpful and what anyone else thinks is either their gain or their loss.

It was 7 days. Too bad I don't have the paperwork so I could prove it:rolleyes:. I may be able to get a better price if I went thru some cheapo internet site where I could end up losing my money because they are not above boards. Because I also book my cruises far ahead of when I take them I am not going to gamble with the USD exchange. I find it odd that people are so interested in doubting what I say. While some people may choose to lie for no reason anyone that knows me I'm a pretty straight shooter. The price I have stated are single supp and include taxes. To quote a price w/o tax is useless since the tax needs to be paid.

In Australia we usually pay a lot more for our cruises and it has become a major issue. Carnival Corporation have stopped non-Nth Americans from using US travel agents, with a few exceptions.

Re the shopping; here the major growth in internet shopping is a big problem to our retailers and surely that is an important

factor everywhere.

Another thing is cultural change and in many countries people simply do not want so much stuff. I have never liked shopping, but strangely my husband does, and it can be a major source of conflict when we are travelling.

Here we are still blessed with a growing economy and low unemployment, however people this year have been paying down debts very strongly. We know what is going on in Europe and the US and it makes people cautious. Spending is still growing on restaurants, leisure activities and travel, but it is retailing that is suffering and not just because of internet shopping.

I think in terms of prices there are good deals available. We are flying from London to Fort Lauderdale at Easter £412 with Air Canada and the cruise in an inside guarantee on the Westerdam cost £325 so total of £737 ($1152) for 7 night cruise and flights from the UK which I think is a really good deal. Ok we still have additional costs of hotel in FLL as we have another 6 nights there. :)

Would agree. But they might have more play money if they wanted a few more months to take the trip. It's supposed to be a vacation. Not a bargain at Walmart.

Perhaps "play money" isn't a priority for everyone. Perhaps waiting a few more months to take the trip will make it unaffordable for people, thus defeating the point of waiting for the "play money".

I'm not trying to sound mean or anything, but just because people don't spend extra money on all kinds of things doesn't mean that it is a "bargain Walmart" experience. We're all on HAL, so we're all trying to have a certain type of experience to begin with based on the decision to sail HAL. What people do with their "play money" or if they even have it doesn't really matter...it is their decision to do what they want with it, whether that means spending it on the islands or not even bringing it with them.

:) :)

Personally, I cruise to visit places, not to shop. I don't particularly enjoy shopping at home, and I really don't enjoy bucking the crowds at a cruise port when I could be elsewhere doing something I couldn't do at home?

Am I that unusual?

Not in the least. I don't cruise to shop either. We cruise to enjoy the ports, the beaches, have lunch and enjoy some local color where ever we are...if there is time when heading back to the ship, I will browse the shops.

Having said that, it should be no surprise that businesses are not doing well in the Caribbean...it's happening all around us here in the States as well.

I have given up trying to shop in the islands. I am a person who likes to browse undisturbed while I decide what to buy and am not used to the constant bombardment you are under the minute you step foot inside a business. I have told clerks a few times that if they would just leave me alone I would probably buy something but if they continue to harrass me I will leave the store. I doesn't work---they just will not quit so I leave.

I am not being nasty---I simply cannot think straight when a clerk hovers over me.

I told my husband that what we need is a fly swatter to go shopping. Just kidding of course but it gives us a laugh.:)

I actually no longer shop either but the main reason is I have too much stuff already. Serious I think we are made up of a society that we just go out and purchase things we like even if we do not need it. I am starting to think I am getting to the point in my life that I would like to start getting rid of some of the"Stuff" we have. When we cruise now and go shopping I might look around but I seldom see anything I want or need any longer.

I have to agree with the others because we do not spend certainly does not place us or the cruise in a Wal Mart mode.

Do I think differently on how I spend my money compared to 5 years ago? Most definitely but I think that is now the way of life even for those that have plenty of money in the bank.

I actually no longer shop either but the main reason is I have too much stuff already. Serious I think we are made up of a society that we just go out and purchase things we like even if we do not need it. I am starting to think I am getting to the point in my life that I would like to start getting rid of some of the"Stuff" we have. When we cruise now and go shopping I might look around but I seldom see anything I want or need any longer.

I have to agree with the others because we do not spend certainly does not place us or the cruise in a Wal Mart mode.

Do I think differently on how I spend my money compared to 5 years ago? Most definitely but I think that is now the way of life even for those that have plenty of money in the bank.

I totally agree, Lisa. I have waaayyyy too much stuff...I need to get rid of it...not buy more!!! :eek: Additionally, I think that, overall, people are being more careful how they choose to spend their money.

Add me to the list of those who have way too much 'stuff'.

And yes, even people who have means are being careful with it. There's a strong sense of uncertainty and people don't feel secure.

This thread has redirected my thinking in a lot of ways and maybe it's been more worthwhile than some other threads we post.

Good conversation IMO

We cruise to the Caribbean most often because it's affordable, a great break from a cold Canadian winter and there are lots of itineraries and choice.

I always browse the shops but frankly, after having been to many of these islands multiple times I am just not finding anything unique or interesting. I think more people (who are cruise fans of course) are cruising more often because it's relatively affordable. If those people are anything like me, they have been there done that in the shops and even the excusions.

Like others have said, the internet has also created a lot of availbility and price competition for products that have historically been a deal in the Caribbean.

..... I have told clerks a few times that if they would just leave me alone I would probably buy something but if they continue to harrass me I will leave the store. I doesn't work---they just will not quit so I leave.

:D I have said the same thing to clerks that if they follow me around, I won't buy anything. I have actually found they stop, but they sure watch you because you are now "their customer" for commission purposes if you do buy want to buy something!

I don't shop much anymore on land or ship because I don't need much stuff anymore and I want to spend my money on more cruises and excursions.

It is a shame that in some countries so many sales are lost because you cannot browse in peace. I found Egypt the worst example and they so desperately need the sales.

Trouble with too much stuff, even getting rid of it is a nightmare here in Australia and no doubt in other countries too. The charities will only take what they can use or sell, and that is as it should be. The council cleanups are only twice a year for big items where we are and the weekly recycling is video monitored in places to prevent dumping the wrong thing. Tipping fees are very high and every time a tenant leaves a rental property, leaving lots of stuff but no forwarding address, the landlord is hundreds and hundreds of dollars out of pocket.

Regarding "stuff"----it seems that you spend the first half of your life gathering things you just "have" to have and then spend the last half of your life trying to get rid of them. :) I really do not need or want any more "stuff".

Regarding "stuff"----it seems that you spend the first half of your life gathering things you just "have" to have and then spend the last half of your life trying to get rid of them. :) I really do not need or want any more "stuff".

I guess that means I'm still in the first part of my life:D. I still seem to want all the stuff;).

When you deal with closing a household for a relative who has died or moved into assisted living, or when you move yourself, it cures you if the impulse to buy stuff on trips. wish I had the money now for stuff I bought years ago.

I give our relatives honey baked half hams now instead of more stuff. They seem to enjoy it, and food is more practical than the unworn shirt or taste-specific tchotchke. But a little more personal than cash.

I read an article about a recent study that concluded - the purchase of material goods give pleasure for a short time. By contrast, special experiences are far more long lasting with the pleasure they give you not only at the time, but for years to come in your memories. Especially, the study showed, the unusual experience planned near the END of a vacation like a memorable meal, raft trip, etc.

Guess I've talked myself into that pricey whale watching shore excursion.

I have noticed that the younger cruisers are not interested in shopping.

Just looking at the shore excursions available at the various ports and you will see a lot more ziplining, river rafting, 4 x 4's, tons of sport excursions to attrack the younger cruisers.

So it is not that people can only afford the cruise -- their interests in the ports are entirely different than what cruisers wanted years ago.

Today's cruiers for the most part have ideas of what they want to spend their money on. And it is not jewelry, crystal, perfume, etc. They prefer to buy t-shirts for gifts for family and friends.

Well said....

Maybe we are unusual, but I agree with you. I do not go on vacation to shop. I go on vacation to see things and experience things I can't back home. I am very thrifty and try, for the most part, to buy what I need, not what I want. I know if everyone was like me, the retail industry would take a big hit. I can't help that. I was raised to be very careful with money as you never know what tomorrow will bring. I have never had a lot of money, but I am comfortable by my standards. From what I can gather on this board, many would not be comfortable in my lifestyle, but that is okay. I don't buy jewelry or expensive souveniers. Occasionally I will pick up a t-shirt. I always get some books for the grandkids and maybe an outfit for them. Other than that, we really don't shop for anything else. I stress as it is when I have to spend time shopping for the few items I do pick up because that means I have less time to see what I went to see.
Sounds just like me.....

When you deal with closing a household for a relative who has died or moved into assisted living, or when you move yourself, it cures you if the impulse to buy stuff on trips. wish I had the money now for stuff I bought years ago.

I hear you. We could hold a state dinner here. Young people don't want silver that needs to be polished or crystal and old china that needs to be hand washed. You can't give it away to children and you can't sell it due to guilt so you wash and polish stuff you rarely use.

We went on a Carribean cruise in November, Only things we purchased were T Shirts for our grandchildren and one of the servers on the ship. He was thrilled to death that we did that for him.

I don't buy high priced stuff here and I'm certainly not gonna do it where I have no idea what I'm really getting.

I am going to have a "yard sale" when my chilluns are here for Christmas. Let them have just about anything they want in the house, plus all their stuff they have stored here.

I hear you. We could hold a state dinner here. Young people don't want silver that needs to be polished or crystal and old china that needs to be hand washed. You can't give it away to children and you can't sell it due to guilt so you wash and polish stuff you rarely use.

Ditto.

I had to break down a close relatives three bedroom condo filled with all the 'stuff' like silver, china, crystal. Like others said, I'm done with things. It's beautiful and valuable to someone who may want it and one can't just send it to a dump........ Few of the young folks want these things. Thankfully I found a way to pass it along.

Our generation and those before us collected things like Lladro and Hummel figurines and porcelains, dinner sets for a small mob etc but today there is no interest in these things. The younger generation is smart.... they don't need to dust all this 'stuff'.

Archived