Itinerary for first time Alaska cruiser

ESMBDS

Need some input on an itinerary for a first time 7 day Alaskan cruise. I'm so confused and just starting to do my research ...Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier, Tracy Arm, Mendenhall, etc...

No preference on embarkation and debarkation, I just want to see as much as possible for this first Alaskan cruise.

Thanks.

Stacey

One way north or southbound is the best!

As the other poster said get Glacier Bay and/or Hubbard as your scenic cruising. Tracy Arm is nice but a distant third as to scenic cruising. Mendenhall is a glacier you see from your stop in Juneau, recommended for that stop but no replacement for Glacier Bay or Hubbard!

Need some input on an itinerary for a first time 7 day Alaskan cruise. I'm so confused and just starting to do my research ...Glacier Bay, Hubbard Glacier, Tracy Arm, Mendenhall, etc...

No preference on embarkation and debarkation, I just want to see as much as possible for this first Alaskan cruise.

Thanks.

Stacey

Thanks.

Stacey

Okay education on Alaska Cruises (I have done a total of 9), if you are going to be doing a pre-Alaska Cruise Tour it in my opinion is always best to do the Cruise Tour first followed by the cruise second. Doing an Alaska Cruise tour prior to your cruise insures that you will see the interior of Alaska as well and the wildlife (what ever is possible to view).

Alaska cruises from Seattle are offered by numerous cruise lines and are an affordable option, but you can see more and be assured that all Alaska cruises from or to Vancouver sail the Inside Passage route, known for the magnificent scenery of the lush temperate rainforest and wildlife sightings such as bald eagles, sea lions, and whales. THis is certainly my port of reference, but like I say I love the cruises to Vancouver southbound for the relaxation after the tour on loand.

An Alaska cruise from San Francisco is a great alternative, especially if you're looking for a cruise lasting 10 days or longer. While Alaska cruises departing from San Francisco are not as readily available as other closer ports, Celebrity and Princess do offer some extended cruises that allow you to sample Alaska and the beautiful Pacific Coast you'll find these on Regent Seven Seas Cruises (RSSC) or on Princess.

Like, I say however, to get a complete Alaska experience, you really need to consider

that stay at the beautiful resorts in Alaska, I prefer the Princess Lodges but there are others. These Cruise Tours to Alaska combine an Alaska Cruise with a land experience into the heart of Alaska and often take you to Denali National Park where you will find North America's tallest mountain Mt. McKinley.

So to sum it all up, you need at least seven days to cruise and a longer vacation (adding weekends either end) would be nice. If you plan to travel with an Alaska Cruise tour I recommend southbound (and to see wildlife book in May or September for best viewing and prices!)

The Vancouver sailing will be more scenic. In general the Seattle sailings cruise to the west of Vancouver Island, which puts you out in the open ocean. The best is still to travel southbound from Alaska to Vancouver.

If you are looking at a Princess one-way I would look at the southbound itinerary from Whittier to Vancouver IF glaciers are your priority. Princess has been going to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier the last few years on the southbound itineraries. If you want to see glaciers, this is a jackpot cruise if your older or have traveled on Holland America before then consider their southbound departures. I hope I have been helpful! :rolleyes:

Not disagreeing with what was said previously...

We have a limit on how much vacation time we have, so cruise tour was not an option for us.

We decided on a round trip out of Vancouver because you take the channel east of the island. (RT is more economical with airfare - again, we do not have the time to take a train/bus tour before or after.)

We chose HAL Volendam based on the size of the ship & the glacier bay.

Our first cruise and visit to Alaska is also next May. I chose the end of May sailing of the Island Princess northbound out of Vancouver. Vancouver is a beautiful city and I have cousins there. To me it was logical to travel north and wind-up to the excitement of seeing Alaska. It has been easy to arrange for independent excursions and the land portion of the trip. We prefer to have the freedom to seize the moment when we travel and I enjoy making the arrangements.

I timed out in the previous post:

We do not have the time to visit Denali in a way we would like to. Here is an outline of our trip:

Day 1-3 Fly and explore Vancouver

Day 4-5 Embark and at sea. Island Princess NB May 23.

Day 6 Ketchikan: Classic Tours

Day 7 Skagway: Chilkoot Charters Yukon 7.5 hr trip

Day 8 Juneau: Alaska State Museum; Orca Enterprises Whale Watch and Mendenhall Glacier; Princess Salmon Bake

Day 9-10 Glaciers--Glacier Bay + College Fiord

Day 11 Disembark, transfer to airport, pick up car rental, explore Turnagain Arm. Stay at Alyeska Resort.

Day 12 Seward: Alaska Sea Life Center and Puffin Encounter. Stay at Alyeska Resort.

Day 13: Drive to Matanuska Glacier--lots to explore on the way. Stay at Sheep Mountain Lodge

Day 14: Return drive to Anchorage--fly to LA during the day

Day 15: LA -home

Our first cruise and visit to Alaska is also next May. I chose the end of May sailing of the Island Princess northbound out of Vancouver. Vancouver is a beautiful city and I have cousins there. To me it was logical to travel north and wind-up to the excitement of seeing Alaska. It has been easy to arrange for independent excursions and the land portion of the trip. We prefer to have the freedom to seize the moment when we travel and I enjoy making the arrangements.

You have chosen well..The northbound out of Vancouver is our favorite..What a way to start a cruise..sailing out past Stanley Park and under LionsGate bridge is amazing..Enjoy :)

First decide if you want one-way with time on land or a round trip cruise only.

For a one-way I recommend the Princess Southbound that goes from Whittier to Vancouver and includes Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. Although cruisetours are the best choice for many, others, like myself prefer to plan the land portion on our own. You will see more and should save money by doing it on your own.

For a roundtrip cruise, I recommend the HAL cruise out of Vancouver that includes Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm.

There are so many different opinions about Glacier Bay, Hubbard College Fjords and Tracy Arm. Perhaps I am in the minority, but I would choose Tracy Arm over Hubbard. They are all great, but I put Tracy Arm a bit about Hubbard. In Tracy Arm you may or may not see the glaciers at the end, but we found the fjord to be spectacular. Hubbard is one massive glacier which is impressive. If glaciers are a priority then Hubbard is a better choice for you than Tracy Arm.

The absolute, best decision, to be made initially is HOW much time and money you have. There is NO point in spooling all over the place with one way, interior Alaska, round trips etc etc. Figure out that initial question, then proceed from that list of options.

Overall, time is your biggest friend. It will offer you the most for your distance and touring options. Do not underestimate it.

So, decide, round trip or one way. Then if one way, interior Alaska touring time. Good planning is the key and many people fall short or poorly plan. Any way you go there, do your homework. Get to know all the essential details of traveling Alaska, they will guide you to the best planning options. Head to your library, take out Alaska travel books, read several trip reports- and get the feel for the activites and time needed at destinations. Avoid marathon driving trips.

There are so many different opinions about Glacier Bay, Hubbard College Fjords and Tracy Arm. Perhaps I am in the minority, but I would choose Tracy Arm over Hubbard. They are all great, but I put Tracy Arm a bit about Hubbard. In Tracy Arm you may or may not see the glaciers at the end, but we found the fjord to be spectacular. Hubbard is one massive glacier which is impressive. If glaciers are a priority then Hubbard is a better choice for you than Tracy Arm.

My sentiments, too! (and I think we are in the minority on this board)

To OP - IMO, I would personally only do a one-way if I were to spend extra time on land before or after the cruise. I know someone who is doing a one-way next year and not spending any time on land and to me that seems to be kind of a waste of the extra airfare they are paying to fly all the way to/from Anchorage. We saw a lot on our RT Vancouver sailing on HAL and I don't even recall on our 2 sailing days that we were ever without scenery.

Archived