Comments section added to American Queen Website

JEM4205

After booking a cruise on the American Queen for June 2012, I have been visiting the GASC website and reading the blog entry’s on a weekly basis to be in the loop on what’s happing to the ship, and company.

There is some interesting info on the ship in the blogs.

Today I noticed that they have added a comment block to the Blogs. It will be interesting to see how many individuals will take the time to comment / ask questions, and if the company will answer or respond.

I don't know how GASC will handle answering the Blogs, but if inquiries are any indication, Sandy (Service Rep GASC) has always answered my inquiries within a day or two = and I think there was at least four or five questions on my part.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I were very interested in booking a cruise, however, upon receiving the brochure it lacked detailed information re: sq. footage of the cabins and details pertaining to the decks. I was also disappointed to see an absence of photos highlighting the cabin areas.

I wrote in the comment section of their website my questions and concerns, but still expressed our great interest in taking a cruise. I also gave our mailing address again if they decided to mail information rather than posting it on the internet.

I never heard a word from them. That was over a month ago. This was not very impressive. We'll be making other travel arrangements.

My husband and I were very interested in booking a cruise, however, upon receiving the brochure it lacked detailed information re: sq. footage of the cabins and details pertaining to the decks. I was also disappointed to see an absence of photos highlighting the cabin areas.

I wrote in the comment section of their website my questions and concerns, but still expressed our great interest in taking a cruise. I also gave our mailing address again if they decided to mail information rather than posting it on the internet.

I never heard a word from them. That was over a month ago. This was not very impressive. We'll be making other travel arrangements.

I think the ship is a work in progress

I just got a brochure within the last 2 weeks looked fine to me but would also like the sq ft information

Maybe emailing them is the way to go

I am surprised to read of the difficulty in obtaining cabin information. I called the toll-free number (on a Saturday) and got right through and was able to get square footage,

care to share the info ;)

In response to the last question, I can only say I got every answer I needed quickly and politely. The cabin type we have chosen for the July 5 voyage from St Louis, Category D, is extremely large with a huge window.

The size of that cat of cabin is ???

Is it a secret ;)

I was under the impression that the excursions were included anyway is this not the case?

Yes, Category D, 185 square feet, much larger than my cabin on the Island Princess in September. And with wine with dinner! : )

Thanks

In the the pictures they look roomy but pictures can be deceiving

Enjoy the cruise

To LHT28:

I tried emailing the company via their web site, in their "contact us" section, but no success. I agree, the brochure was beautiful but incomplete. I feel you're correct, it is a "work in progress".

Hopefully, someone there will recognize all these means of communication are useless unless someone on the other end responds to their potential clients.

To LHT28:

I tried emailing the company via their web site,

That is strange - every inquiry that I have made, I got a reply within a day or two.

I hope that the Christmas rush and work schedules may have been the reason for the lack of communication.

I am looking forward to our trip in April from New Orleans to New Orleans! There are tours included and at one time I saw some optional tours ($) which looked interesting.

Happy New Year!

The size of that cat of cabin is ???

Is it a secret ;)

I was under the impression that the excursions were included anyway is this not the case?

Lynn, the included excursions were a perk for booking before Dec 31. We got emails stating there were only a few days left to qualify for that and also for up to $150 on board credit (we got $100 fopr booking in Category E). Whether they will extend those bonuses or create new ones remains to be seen, but for now, they are over.

Lynn, the included excursions were a perk for booking before Dec 31. We got emails stating there were only a few days left to qualify for that and also for up to $150 on board credit (we got $100 fopr booking in Category E). Whether they will extend those bonuses or create new ones remains to be seen, but for now, they are over.

Don

I think the promotion was for the OBC

I am not ready to book yet so will see if they offer other promotions later in the year

The brochure I got recently & the website does not have an expiry date

they state

Fares will include:

• Shore excursions to fascinating river towns and cities.
  • One-night luxury hotel stay and transfers before or after your voyage included in price.
  • Complimentary bottled water and soft drinks.
  • Complimentary wines and beers with dinner.
  • An array of sumptuous dining options including regional cuisine by famed American Chef Regina Charboneau.
  • Captain’s Champagne Welcome Reception and Gala Dinner.
  • All regular shore tours included in the price of your voyage.
  • Hot and cold canapes at cocktail hour every evening.

Check here, it´s saying

"when you book by December 31, 2011, all regular Shore Adventures are included in the fare"

It was a bit confusing as all adds were saying all shore tours are included. Later it stated that they are only included when you book by Dec 31st.

As for cabin sizes - I don´t know them either. But expect the cabins to be small - way smaller than on a big cruise ship. Anyway I didn´t mind - as long as I´m on a steamboat :D. And besides sleeping and using the bathroom you won´t spend much time in your cabin anyway. We never understood why MAL did add TV sets as most of the people never used them :rolleyes:.

steamboats

Don

I think the promotion was for the OBC

I am not ready to book yet so will see if they offer other promotions later in the year

The brochure I got recently & the website does not have an expiry date

they state

Fares will include:

• Shore excursions to fascinating river towns and cities.
  • One-night luxury hotel stay and transfers before or after your voyage included in price.
  • Complimentary bottled water and soft drinks.
  • Complimentary wines and beers with dinner.
  • An array of sumptuous dining options including regional cuisine by famed American Chef Regina Charboneau.
  • Captain’s Champagne Welcome Reception and Gala Dinner.
  • All regular shore tours included in the price of your voyage.
  • Hot and cold canapes at cocktail hour every evening.

LHT is quoting from the second and most recent brochure, which has just come out in the last month. For GASC to not give the shore excursions on any booking made before the next brochure comes out, IMHO, would be most Majestic America Line like. ;)

Well I guess we will find out soon when they update their website after the holidays or it could be marketing like Oceania ;)

same deal just change the cut off date until sold out

Maybe Tim R is reading the forum ;)

This the webpage I was quoting

http://www.greatamericansteamboatcompany.com/steamboating/

Lyn

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was given the address of 1350 Port of new Orleans Place for the May 29 departure. This is the round trip New Orleans. Is this the dock where the bigger cruise ships leave from? I am trying to work out parking details and want to make sure where we are leaving from. Thank you

The AMERICAN QUEEN will be operating out of the Robin Street Wharf which is above the bridge at New Orleans. The blue water cruise ships land at the Julia Street or Erato Street Wharves below the bridge. All are within walking distance of each other. A little lagniappe at Robin Street is Blaine Kern's Mardi Gras World where many of the colourful Carnival parade floats are constructed and stored.

I was given the address of 1350 Port of new Orleans Place for the May 29 departure. This is the round trip New Orleans. Is this the dock where the bigger cruise ships leave from? I am trying to work out parking details and want to make sure where we are leaving from. Thank you

That´s the physical address of the Port of New Orleans port authorities and not an address for a specific cruise terminal.

steamboats

The address is what I was given by Susan Jackson of the Great American Steamboat Co. when I asked where the American Queen was leaving from for our May 29th cruise. I am not familiar with the area and I am trying to reserve parking for our car while on the trip. Any suggestions? Thank you. Denise

Parking used to be in the Robin Street Wharf building but that´s used by Blaine Kern´s Mardi Gras World now.

Majestic America Lines did use the Julia Street Terminal.

For parking at the Julia/Erato Street Terminals check here

http://www.portno.com/pno_pages/cruises_passenger_info.htm#parking

According to the Port of New Orleans website the AQ is departing from Robin Street Wharf. Maybe you check with the port and ask them where parking is available.

steamboats

Calling the port authority makes good sense. Another option, if you are using the pre cruise hotel stay, is to check with the hotel about parking.

Have you received your documents yet? I know that Great America Steamboat Co. is going to mail out paper documents to its passengers. (Glory be, none of the aggrevation of having to print your own after spending thousands of dollars for a cruise!) Parking info for New Orleans departures should be included with the tickets.

Archived