Comments section added to American Queen Website

JEM4205

I just booked a cruise for June. The customer service reps have answered every question that I have asked. All "regular" shore excursions are included; however, there are "enhanced" shore excursions that have a fee attached. I also learned that they have a number of bicycles on hand for folks interested in checking out the port towns. It appears to me that they are now trying to ramp up their website to meet its customers' needs, so right now a phone call may be the best way to get information.

• 5 months later...
My husband and I were very interested in booking a cruise, however, upon receiving the brochure it lacked detailed information re: sq. footage of the cabins and details pertaining to the decks. I was also disappointed to see an absence of photos highlighting the cabin areas.

I wrote in the comment section of their website my questions and concerns, but still expressed our great interest in taking a cruise. I also gave our mailing address again if they decided to mail information rather than posting it on the internet.

I never heard a word from them. That was over a month ago. This was not very impressive. We'll be making other travel arrangements.

I just have to respond to this comment - we just got back from a 12 day trip on the American Queen. The people were awesome before and during the trip. All of my pre-cruise questions and concerns were answered fast, by email, phone calls, and on facebook. We had low water issues, and so I had a lot of questions! I got nearly immediate responses. During the trip I could not have asked for a better crew, everybody was polite, quick, and friendly. The cabins were very nice. The food and excursions were wonderful. If you make other travel arrangements I hope you are lucky enough to find a cruise as all-around good as this one.

I also learned that they have a number of bicycles on hand for folks interested in checking out the port towns.

Now if they have tandem or three wheel bikes, that would be heaven for us old people!

Before some health issues cropped up, every inquiry I made with GASC was answered promptly. So if I can work out my FF miles to get to New Orleans/Memphis, I'll be booking again!

I am on the American Queen- Aug 20,2012 voyage and everything is wonderful. Just had a fabulous lunch after spending the morning on the Hop on/Hop off Bus. This was such an enjoyable way to see this lovely city. Everything is a 5 star on this ship. So glad we are here! I have to go now so others can use the internet. Will keep everyone updated. :)

Leslie Black:o

• 2 months later...
The address is what I was given by Susan Jackson of the Great American Steamboat Co. when I asked where the American Queen was leaving from for our May 29th cruise. I am not familiar with the area and I am trying to reserve parking for our car while on the trip. Any suggestions? Thank you. Denise

ghia007, Denise -- where did you end up parking? We are planning on a trip next May and will be driving also. How was your cruise. Did you write a review?

Cheers

Part of our cruise package was a day before stay at the Westin New Orleans Canal Place hotel. We came a few days early and stayed there to make life simple. We did valet during the stay but the day we left for the cruise I moved the car into "self parking" in the same garage that is connected to the hotel (it also has a mall as part of the block). I do not remember the cost. There is also a large open parking lot across the street from the Westin that might have a long term rate.

The American Queen shuttled us over the boat from the Westin.

If you are not staying at the Westin this might not be the best option for you but it worked for us. After the cruise the American Queen took us back to the Westin.

If you park in the garage make sure you write down your level and "area". I parked by an elevator so I would be able to locate the vehicle.

The cruise was great. I loved the hop on/hop off buses and the staff could not do enough for you. The food was good. We had a suite (LS) and it was huge. Excellent housekeeping. The not so good: It was very hot & humid but I had tried to explain this to my mother BEFORE she made the reservation. She does not do heat well....this was in no way the cruise lines fault. The dining room staff, some, not all....were in desperate need of additional training. If you had never cruised before & didn't know what "real" service was like you might not even noticed....but having to ask several times for coffee...first thing in the morning....would never happen on Holland or Princess. Did this cause me to have a unpleasant cruise??? Not in the least, we just rolled with it.

I would hope as staff gained more experience and chaff was weeded out things would improve in the dining room.

I would go again without hesitation. It was a very relaxing vacation.

Archived