locking your luggage

luvinacruise

Is it ok to put locks on the luggage? I have no problem with the locks being broken if they feel they have to check it out. One of my bags came open and arrived with clothes hanging out. The way they throw the bags around a lock would hold the zippers together and prevent this from happening. Anyone else have problems with luggage arriving open? Thank You for any advice.

You can lock your luggage before giving it to the porter. If upon xray they see something in there they don't like they will hold your bag and summon you to the "naughty room" so you can open it for their inspection.

We use zip ties as well. But that is for airline purposes because if you don't use airlines approved locks they will cut them off if they want in your suitcase. So they are still on our bags for the ship.

The ship will not open your luggage without you present so you can lock them, zip tie them or whatever you wish. Even without a lock as the above poster said, if they question anything they will invite you to the naughty room to open it.

Always always always lock your luggage, preferably with TSA-approved locks. There are also plastic zip locks with serial numbers, which are a good alternative. Both will deter (though nothing will prevent) theft from your bags, because in both cases you will know if the bag has been entered and can make a complaint, and a potential thief will know that you will know.

Always always always lock your luggage, preferably with TSA-approved locks. There are also plastic zip locks with serial numbers, which are a good alternative. Both will deter (though nothing will prevent) theft from your bags, because in both cases you will know if the bag has been entered and can make a complaint, and a potential thief will know that you will know.

Locking your suitcase is like locking your front door. It is used to keep the honest man honest. The 2nd reason for locking a suitcase is the zipper is less likely to catch on something and your suitcase come open.

If locking your luggage gives you peace of mind then go right ahead but don't think it deters anyone from getting into the bag. To my thinking it only invites someone to look harder since they'll think there's something of value to be had.

So what if your plastic zip tie has been cut when you get your bag back? The damage is already done & if someone wanted to take something it's long gone.

The simple solution is to pack nothing in your suitcases you don't want to lose.

Always always always lock your luggage, preferably with TSA-approved locks. ..

To each their own. We never, ever lock our bags. And we travel alot.

Never had bags pop open. Never had stuff pop out. Never had anything stolen. We do always have a roll aboard with more valuable items in it.

If locking your luggage gives you peace of mind then go right ahead but don't think it deters anyone from getting into the bag. To my thinking it only invites someone to look harder since they'll think there's something of value to be had.

So what if your plastic zip tie has been cut when you get your bag back? The damage is already done & if someone wanted to take something it's long gone.

The simple solution is to pack nothing in your suitcases you don't want to lose.

As I stated above the reason I use them is so my zipper doesn't come unzipped through handling. I've seen many an underwear travelling around airport conveyor belts because someones zipper on their bag got caught on something.

I don't believe it makes people think there is anything in the suitcase that is of value. And as I said above if someone wants into it a suitcase lock or zip tie is not going to stop them.

I use TSA combination locks TSA has keys to open them . Most luggage stores have them I also get them in airports THey are the best I ask the salespeople to put my combination in or I will not buy them . Most know how ...I still cannot figure it out!!!!DUH

On my last trip I found my suitcase upside down with a paper at the bottom saying they had inspected . Thankfully nothing was missing I had ALL my gifts in it But because I knew how I packed I knew they had been in.

I was robbed in Buenos Aires . My sidepockets full of socks undies...designer stuff and expensive bras was emptied ...stuff needing washing ...WHy anyone took my sons socks I will never know I kept them separate on purpose ..... but they did vanish . someone was that desperate .....sigh......So now I lock everything

Michele

I use TSA combination locks TSA has keys to open them . Most luggage stores have them I also get them in airports They are the best I ask the salespeople to put my combination in or I will not buy them . Most know how ...I still cannot figure it out!!!!DUH

On my last trip I found my suitcase upside down with a paper at the bottom saying they had inspected . Thankfully nothing was missing I had ALL my gifts in it But because I knew how I packed I knew they had been in.

I was robbed in Buenos Aires . My sidepockets full of socks undies...designer stuff and expensive bras was emptied ...stuff needing washing ...WHy anyone took my sons socks I will never know I kept them separate on purpose ..... but they did vanish . someone was that desperate .....sigh......So now I lock everything

Michele

On our cruise a few weeks ago, flying in both directions, we had notes that TSA had opened our luggage. I felt sorry for the TSA person doing it on the return. We brought back some tequila and in order to keep it padded securely, we used all of our dirty clothes from the previous week to pack around it. TSA had to dig through a ton of dirty clothes to get to the tequila for inspection.

I haven't locked my bags in about 20 years. I don't put anything valuable in them now and never have. We use soft suitcases with very heavy zippers so I'm not really afraid of the zipper breaking and the bag coming open. Back years ago when I was locking my luggage we lost the keys enroute. The lock was so easy to open without the keys I figured it really wasn't doing anything other than keeping the suitcase closed so don't bother anymore. I think its a personal preference.

they sell locks for luggage that can be opened by the inspectors if need be

I think they are TA Locks but not sure

"TSA has worked with several companies to develop locks that can be opened by security officers using universal "master" keys so that the locks may not have to be cut. These locks are available at airports and travel stores nationwide. The packaging on the locks indicates whether they can be opened by TSA."

But since the OP is speaking about locking luggage for their cruise this isn't really important unless they are flying in or want to have a lock for future air travel.

The locks that came with our luggage are simply not worth the hastle, virtually useless in detering thieves. I use large ziplock bags to put undies, socks and small stuff in and place them usually in the zipped portion of the suitcase. In case the luggage needs to be opened, the small stuff will not come flying out. Medicines, makeup and valuable items are in a carry on in my possession at all times.

We Locked our Luggage on one cruise years ago(Carnival) and when it arrived in the room both locks had been Torn off from the one part of the zipper.....Someone had to have used a pair of pliers or something cause even though the locks were little they were strong ones.....The lock itself stayed intact but the zipper was trashed...

Nothing was missing and All things of Value like Cameras, Money$$, Medicines, etc We keep in our walk on luggage anyway....

"TSA has worked with several companies to develop locks that can be opened by security officers using universal "master" keys so that the locks may not have to be cut. These locks are available at airports and travel stores nationwide. The packaging on the locks indicates whether they can be opened by TSA."

But since the OP is speaking about locking luggage for their cruise this isn't really important unless they are flying in or want to have a lock for future air travel.

While true in print, it's never worked for us in reality. All of our "TSA Safe Locks" have been either removed entirely or cut open and left hanging. It started to get very expensive after losing six or seven of them, so we just use zip ties. It doesn't keep the TSA from getting in, but seems to keep the theft down for some reason (either that or maybe we are getting more trustworthy baggage handlers?)

We secure our luggage because we have had many, many things go missing, usually when flying - and you would NOT believe the items they tend to take :eek:. Once, on a cruise (years and years ago) we had some items go missing - mainly a box of about 20 cassette tapes (that tells you how long ago it was!). We have not had a problem with theft on cruises since then, and often have removed the zip ties before boarding without issue. Occasionally, we have had a bag arrive somewhat unzipped - so now I have been equipping all of our bags with twist ties (from bread items) - I just leave them on there and if we remove the zip ties, I use the twist ties as a backup to keep the bags shut. I think the main reason we have issues with bags opening is the type of bags we use - rolling duffels - they seem to unzip more easily than standard suitcases.

Robin

It doesn't matter what you use they just drive a fork lift arm into it which is what happened to one of our hardcased luggage pcs in January, needless to say I was some pi$$ed.

However Carnival did give me an obc for $100 probably because it was our first and last cruise with them.

We Locked our Luggage on one cruise years ago(Carnival) and when it arrived in the room both locks had been Torn off from the one part of the zipper.....Someone had to have used a pair of pliers or something cause even though the locks were little they were strong ones.....The lock itself stayed intact but the zipper was trashed...

Nothing was missing and All things of Value like Cameras, Money$$, Medicines, etc We keep in our walk on luggage anyway....

It just goes to show how much good locking you suitcase does. :rolleyes:

Archived