3 Queens together?

bazzaw

How many times have the 3 current Queens been together? I thought it was only once before in New York Harbour? - but I think now that I have discovered that they have been together in Southampton

Barry

How many times have the 3 current Queens been together? I thought it was only once before in New York Harbour? - but I think now that I have discovered that they have been together in Southampton

Barry

I know that in April 2008 the QM2,QV and the now retired QE2 were in Southampton on the same day.A few months earlier on January 13,2008 the same 3 ships were in New York.This past January 13,2011 the QM2,QV and the new QE were in New York.I don't know if the QM2,QV and QE were ever in Southampton on the same day yet but I know that next June 5th the QM2,QV and QE will be in Southampton for the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II. Regards,Jerry

G'day Gerry

Thanks for that. I think you have confirmed for me the the 3 CURRENT Queens have only been together once in NY ?? I saw a series of Youtube vids which referred to QE - but probably meant QE2.

Maybe it's time for Cunard to think of some other famous British Queens - I vote for the next Cunard ship to be called Queen Buddica.

Barry

G'day Gerry

Thanks for that. I think you have confirmed for me the the 3 CURRENT Queens have only been together once in NY ?? I saw a series of Youtube vids which referred to QE - but probably meant QE2.

Maybe it's time for Cunard to think of some other famous British Queens - I vote for the next Cunard ship to be called Queen Buddica.

Barry

Thanks Barry.And that is Jerry with a J. Regards,Jerry

Jerry

:):) Well it may appear that way to you - :) - but it is a fact that only Australians can understand what New Zealanders say :p. As for the Brits - well their accents change every 100 yard /metres - who knows what they are saying!! :p

Barry

Jerry

:):) Well it may appear that way to you - :) - but it is a fact that only Australians can understand what New Zealanders say :p. As for the Brits - well their accents change every 100 yard /metres - who knows what they are saying!! :p

Barry

Barry, Very Funny :D Regards,Jerry

G'day Gerry

Barry

I must say that Queen Boudicca is quite my favourite famous queen, but Fred Olsen already have a Queen Boudicca ship, and I'm sure she was a bit too war like for the Cunard image. Our local chapter of Daughters of the British Empire was called Boudicca of Iceni, with a motto of Victory or Death. The national organisation asked that we change our motto as it was too violent alas. I suppose that did make sense as all we ever seemed to do was crochet loo roll covers to sell at the annual nursing home bazaar.

The 3 Queens in New York in January was cold but fun (video at

and
, or if those don't work try my videos and they are hidden somewhere in the other videos.)

We will be on QE for the 3 Queens get together in June next year, hopefully the weather will be warmer!:)

Barry, I live in the USA and to me the accent between people from England,Australia and New Zealand to me it sounds like the same British accent. Regards,Jerry

May I just chime in, that for this American, I can quite easily hear the difference between those three accents. Not all Americans think you all sound the same. Jerry, I do love your posts and think you sound like a very nice man, but you did make us Americans seems terribly ignorant with this particular post! May I suggest that you listen to those accents a bit more carefully because they are quite distinct, and there's nothing my Australian friends hate more than being asked what part of England they are from, and nothing my New Zealand friends hate more than being asked what part of Australia they are from. It would be a bit like asking a person from Alabama what part of Texas they are from.

And please do see my lighthearted ribbing in this post, Jerry. Your posts are usually quite entertaining and I do think you are probably a very lovely person.

Don't be hard on Jerry :) I have trouble picking Canadians from Americans (quickly ducking to avoid incoming missiles!) -- not those from the South though - they are easy to pick!! and people from Noo Joisey :rolleyes:

Barry

May I just chime in, that for this American, I can quite easily hear the difference between those three accents. Not all Americans think you all sound the same. Jerry, I do love your posts and think you sound like a very nice man, but you did make us Americans seems terribly ignorant with this particular post! May I suggest that you listen to those accents a bit more carefully because they are quite distinct, and there's nothing my Australian friends hate more than being asked what part of England they are from, and nothing my New Zealand friends hate more than being asked what part of Australia they are from. It would be a bit like asking a person from Alabama what part of Texas they are from.

And please do see my lighthearted ribbing in this post, Jerry. Your posts are usually quite entertaining and I do think you are probably a very lovely person.

Well I did not mean anything mean and vicious.I do not hate any nationality.And I can hear the difference between the accents from England and Scotland for example.But to me as I posted in the other post the accents sound the same between England,Australia and New Zealand to me and I do not hate these nationalities.This was meant to be just a little joke between Barry and myself and I think you are taking this too seriously.Just Lighten up please. Regards,Jerry

Don't be hard on Jerry :) I have trouble picking Canadians from Americans (quickly ducking to avoid incoming missiles!) -- not those from the South though - they are easy to pick!! and people from Noo Joisey :rolleyes:

Barry

Watch it Barry I live in Noo Joisey (correct spelling New Jersey) Just Kidding and thank you for sticking up for me :D Regards,Jerry

Well I did not mean anything mean and vicious.I do not hate any nationality.And I can hear the difference between the accents from England and Scotland for example.But to me as I posted in the other post the accents sound the same between England,Australia and New Zealand to me and I do not hate these nationalities.This was meant to be just a little joke between Barry and myself and I think you are taking this too seriously.Just Lighten up please. Regards,Jerry

Awww geez... I should have known better than to say something. It seems that everything on message boards is taken too seriously. I certainly never meant to imply that you hated any nationality, and in re-reading my post I see that I did not state that I thought you hated any nationality. Not sure where you got that from, and I'm sorry that you inferred that a "hatred" was involved where you were concerned. What I will say though, is that I travel internationally extensively and frequently, and I find that Americans are actually well liked, for the most part, around the world. What they don't like about us is, often a dislike of our government, but not a dislike of us individually. But where I DO hear a fair amount of criticisms about us, is our ignorance, or for a less harsh term: our tendency to be less than informed about other cultures and accents and things of that matter. I think there's often a perception around the world that Americans tend to be a bit egocentric, and if it's not about our culture or traditions, then we don't seem to care to know about it. I don't think that's the truth, but it IS what I hear. Recently in London, I heard an American say to an Englishman: "I just love your Cockney accent". The American was quickly (and a bit harshly) corrected that a Yorkshire accent was indeed NOT a Cockney accent. After the bewildered and well meaning American walked away, the comments I overheard between the two Brit's were about how ignorant American's were to anything that isn't from America. And once again, it made my heart sink a little that we are perceived as not caring enough to know the difference... Because some of us do care very much and try to know as much as we can about the differences between various cultures.

I only meant two things with my post: 1) to let our Australian and New Zealand friends know that some of us Americans DO hear the differences in their accents, and 2) to encourage you to listen a little more closely and learn to hear the differences between the accents. Because they really are quite different.

But I certainly never meant to infer that you HATED anyone! How anyone could read any of your posts and think that you had the ability to hate anyone is beyond me... So please don't assign added inferences onto my comments that weren't there. And now, go out and rent "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" on DVD and follow it up with a viewing of "Absolutely Fabulous", and I promise you that you will hear two very different sets of accents. (In the case of Ab Fab, you'll hear a smattering of several English accents, actually!)

Awww geez... I should have known better than to say something. It seems that everything on message boards is taken too seriously. I certainly never meant to imply that you hated any nationality, and in re-reading my post I see that I did not state that I thought you hated any nationality. Not sure where you got that from, and I'm sorry that you inferred that a "hatred" was involved where you were concerned. What I will say though, is that I travel internationally extensively and frequently, and I find that Americans are actually well liked, for the most part, around the world. What they don't like about us is, often a dislike of our government, but not a dislike of us individually. But where I DO hear a fair amount of criticisms about us, is our ignorance, or for a less harsh term: our tendency to be less than informed about other cultures and accents and things of that matter. I think there's often a perception around the world that Americans tend to be a bit egocentric, and if it's not about our culture or traditions, then we don't seem to care to know about it. I don't think that's the truth, but it IS what I hear. Recently in London, I heard an American say to an Englishman: "I just love your Cockney accent". The American was quickly (and a bit harshly) corrected that a Yorkshire accent was indeed NOT a Cockney accent. After the bewildered and well meaning American walked away, the comments I overheard between the two Brit's were about how ignorant American's were to anything that isn't from America. And once again, it made my heart sink a little that we are perceived as not caring enough to know the difference... Because some of us do care very much and try to know as much as we can about the differences between various cultures.

I only meant two things with my post: 1) to let our Australian and New Zealand friends know that some of us Americans DO hear the differences in their accents, and 2) to encourage you to listen a little more closely and learn to hear the differences between the accents. Because they really are quite different.

But I certainly never meant to infer that you HATED anyone! How anyone could read any of your posts and think that you had the ability to hate anyone is beyond me... So please don't assign added inferences onto my comments that weren't there. And now, go out and rent "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" on DVD and follow it up with a viewing of "Absolutely Fabulous", and I promise you that you will hear two very different sets of accents. (In the case of Ab Fab, you'll hear a smattering of several English accents, actually!)

I do remember seeing Absolutely Fabulous on PBS.Does PBS still broadcast that show? Regards,Jerry

I do understand Jerry's point about Australian and New Zealanders sometimes sounding very British.

Also, Australian accents do vary quite widely. I have often found that many Americans cannot understand what I am saying, which sometimes leads to difficult dining table conversations. The "self appointed fashion police" on the QE2 that I referred to elsewhere was American and he said that I sounded to him like a softly-spoken Prince Charles.

We will be on QM2 -- wear a red hat and we will wave to you :):)

Barry

Hey, I have the perfect hat! Will do!:)

........and while we have drifted into the realm of accents - I have a Zimbabwe/Rhodesian one and am very flattered when I am mistaken for being Australian!

What I will say though, is that I travel internationally extensively and frequently, and I find that Americans are actually well liked, for the most part, around the world.

All the Americans I have met whilst traveling have been absolutely charming.

But where I DO hear a fair amount of criticisms about us, is our ignorance, or for a less harsh term: our tendency to be less than informed about other cultures and accents and things of that matter.

Generally speaking, the education standards across the West have dropped significantly over the years. Most young people these days have little to no understanding of their own culture or history. Americans are not alone in this.

I do think this criticism is simply a cheap shot at Americans that could readily be applied to any country.

And now, go out and rent "Priscilla Queen of the Desert" on DVD and follow it up with a viewing of "Absolutely Fabulous", and I promise you that you will hear two very different sets of accents. (In the case of Ab Fab, you'll hear a smattering of several English accents, actually!)

As others have pointed out there are also distinct differences in various Australian accents.

Archived