First dive.......Last dive??

Mike&Nancy

I know there is additional classroom time, possibly pool time and OW skills, too.

please expand . . . I've looked at the PADI site . . . what are the additional requirements specifically?

(I was certified in the 70's by a PADI instructor with a single digit instuctor number ... an old timer .... several hundred dives as recently as last March )

I understand your guess answer but I'm looking for one from an Instructor

what does a diver need to do to be open water certified?

retake the entire course?

to go from OW to advanced you only demonstrate new skills . . .

If you don't already have one, consider getting a "dry top" snorkel. They help keep the water out while you're using your snorkel on the surface. But if its really rough I keep my regulator in my mouth from the time I leave the boat to the time I get back on board up the ladder.

SCUBA diving has a way of potentially compounding small problems to big problems if you don't address them when you should.

I know there is additional classroom time, possibly pool time and OW skills, too.

please expand . . . I've looked at the PADI site . . . what are the additional requirements specifically?

(I was certified in the 70's by a PADI instructor with a single digit instuctor number ... an old timer .... several hundred dives as recently as last March )

I understand your guess answer but I'm looking for one from an Instructor

what does a diver need to do to be open water certified?

retake the entire course?

to go from OW to advanced you only demonstrate new skills . . .

Where is an OWSI+ when you need one?

Where is an OWSI+ when you need one?

I will try to be brief so just the main points

PADI SCUBA DIVER

Knowledge development modules 1 to 3 . Does NOT take final exam.

Pool Dives 1 to 3

Open Water Dives 1 + 2

Depth limitation 40ft

Must Dive with a Padi professional in the water at all times.

PADI OPEN WATER DIVER

All 6 Knowledge development modules and a final exam.

All 5 Pool Dives

All 4 Open Water Dives

Depth limitation 60ft

Is taught to be able to dive with a buddy.

Scuba Diver can be upgraded to Open Water Diver at any time by completing the rest of the course.

Just looking at this list is really very simplistic, please talk to a Dive professional if you are considering the courses.

• 2 months later...

It's been awhile since I've been on, mainly because I felt bad about not going for my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th dives to qualify. So, with that being said, we did do the SJ B2B cruise and our very last stop on the 2nd leg was St. Croix. Offered thru RCCL was a Discovery Scuba excursion. I had no idea that these could be offered as I usually don't look at the ship's excursions. Just packed in too tight usually. So, I jumped at the chance to do this, since I'd had my other training and I was hoping it wouldn't be as rough as the FLL one. And I also thought that just maybe it would goad me into completing my OW cert. To say the least, this was the most fun I'd ever had, period. It was amazing. There were 14 of us. And 4 DM's. They took us down to the 40' mark and we stayed down as long as the air held out, about 40 minutes or so. I think come Summer I'm going to try and go back and do the muddy lake and get my OW cert. I can see now why everyone was urging me onward and upward. I'm still on Cloud 9.:)

Mike

Keys are a great idea. Great place to dive, lots to see and yes usually much calmer water.

Many years ago we went down to the Keys for our OW certification dives. The ocean was rough! We eneded up doing our checkout dives in a canal where the water was calm and the visibility about 3 feet! Two of us went down with the instructor and his assistant at a time. Figured if we can make it there we can make it anywhere!

The first dives in the ocean after certification were in somewhat in choppy water but it wasn't a big issue since we could see so much further!

The "scuba" certification thing is new to me. :confused:

I can't remember when I haven't been asked for my card. I've been asked for my logbook several times, too.

On the otherhand I have never been asked for my log book. :D

My usual cruise dive buddy is more advanced than I am and he doesn't log anything. One time he left his c-card on the ship (it was PADI so they could have checked it online) but when the dive shop saw me with my log book they said that if he signed my log book on previous dives they'd accept that as proof. So me with the geeky log book came in handy that day. ;)

Have dove all over the place - including the Red Sea ! ALWAYS take my C card...... but don't even own a log book. Have never been asked once for it.

That said, I forgot both mine and dh's cards in December on our post Xmas trip to Abaco Bahamas. Called our dog sitter and she emailed my PADI numbers to us from our cards....... dive shop took those.

Just depends on the dive shop I guess....but I have never been asked for a log book.

• 3 weeks later...
Gerry12, We're about in the same range of age. And the Caribbean is probably all I will ever dive in. I'm hoping to get at least one dive in to complete the "scuba" cert while we're cruising in Feb. If I feel comfortable after that, then I may attempt to complete the OW cert. Want to see what the DM's are like on-board ship and how patient they are with us older folk.;)

Mike!!

I'd like to give you my opinion .... and keep in mind I'm not trying to dissuade or pursuade you.

I'm 65 and my wife calls me a water baby since if I find something wet I'm in it. I love the water and Scuba was always something I wanted to do. So after reading this forum last year I signed up for the OW course. Passed it in two weekends and got my certification.

However .....

I was never comfortable down past 10 feet or so. Dunno why ... perhaps I'm a big wuss. But whatever it is I don't like Scuba diving. I've never been back under the surface since the final dive to pass. I still snorkel and still love it.

I hated the bulky equipment, I hated putting it on and taking it off. I hated having to take off the wetsuit just to pee. I was always struggling with keeping my feet down ... guess my legs are more bouyant since I was the only one who had that problem ... and yes it was a constant fight. I was the one who always had the lowest pressure left in the tank so I must have been sucking in more air. (Nervous maybe?)

I mentioned this to one of the PADI instructors and he said if I wasn't comfortable not to dive. He said diving should be fun and some people just aren't cut out for it so I've taken his advice.

Again, not trying to influence you, just telling you Scuba isn't for everyone. I wish you well in whatever you decide.

Hi Cruiserguy,

LOL, I kinda got tickeled when you said you couldn't keep your feet down. I'm not quite that bad, but I seem to be pretty damn bouyant too. I have to carry about 20lbs of weight with me to keep me down. The experience this time was such a 180 degree turnaround from my very first one, that I have to try to get the OW cert. The sea was just like glass on this one. I kinda wish there had been some choppiness just to see if I could handle it. But I know what you're talking about, putting all the gear on. My big problem I had in the confined water courses was getting that damn thing off and then back on. I've had rotator-cuff surgeries on both shoulders and they definitely limit me to movement. But, I did get it done and loved this last dive. Gonna try and we'll see what happens.

Mike,

I'm glad to hear that you had a good time. First time out in open ocean with swells can be really intimidating. Happened to me too.

We were booked in a resort in the Keys to get out Advanced Open Water (myself, my son and a friend). We got down a day early so my son & I decided to go out for a warm up before the course started. What a disaster. 6 -7 foot swells, 4-6 knot current and a boat full of newbies. My son and I were together in line to jump off the back and just after he went in, a newby stood up (nearly knocking me over) and cut in front of me. Of course he was mis-rigged, hadn't turned on his air and had his weight belt threaded wrong. While the deckhand was trying to get him straightened out, my son was headed for New York because he missed the dragline. I finally gave up and rolled off the side of the boat. Swam over to my son and found that he was having equipment issues. His regulator had a crack in the mouthpiece and he was sucking seawater with every breath. He hadn't quite panicked, but it was close. So we headed back to the dive boat to get his equipment fixed. If you have ever tried to fight a 4 knot current, it is not fun. I had to drag him the last 100 yards or so to the dragline. After some fun getting up the ladder (think washing machine agitator on steroids and you are the socks) we were so exhausted we skipped going back in. That was a mistake. I ended up feeding the fishes a nice warm meal for the rest of the afternoon.

After that first trip out, I was sure my son was never going to set foot on a boat again. But 7am, he was there shaking me out of bed, ready to go at it again. The weather was much nicer and we both got our AOW cards over the next couple of days. He was 12 at the time and we have gone diving every chance we get. So don't give up. 99% of the dives have been wonderful. The other 1% have been interesting.

As far as equipment goes, it gets better with practice. I have shoulder issues also and it can be a bear sometimes getting into the BCD. I have found I just need to get it on most of the way and fix it in the water. Most dive masters get upset when I just throw the equipment in and get into it in the water, so I fight my way into the straps and then fix it up in the water. It also helps if you bring your own equipment. That way you know how it is going to work and you can pre-rig it to make it easier to get into. The rental stuff is usually pretty beat up.

Also if you are having bouyancy issues, ankle weights can help. They make soft ones that wrap around your ankles and help trim you. I normally go heavy and compensate with the BCD and bleed it off as the tanks become emptier. If you have to empty your BCD completely to make the initial descent, you need more weight. You have to remember that as the tank goes empty, it becomes bouyant and if you have no air to bleed in the BCD you will start to float up.

Anyway, welcome to the Brotherhood of the Bottom Dwellers. And remember the motto "You are not in trouble until you see the boat below you!"

ken

From my Old inst. back in 67.

Requirements to consider yourself an avg. intermediate diver.

50hr. Snorkeling ( now called freediving)

50hr. Scuba Diving

After this 100hr total you might consider yourself a avg. intermediate diver.

Truth:

The most likely accidents that will occur in 40ft OR 60ft OR 80ft. are the same for a single tank non repetitive dive.

A depth limit of 40ft. is no real protection from them.

Ken, I was laughing out loud at your post. Not AT you, mind you, but WITH you. Poor kid, trying to fight that current. And as far as you having to pull him back in, the DM on my first dive had to "tired diver" me for a ways because I was so sick. And as far as feeding "chum" to the fishes......yep......the rest of the afternoon waiting on the other divers. It was a 2 tank dive.

I actually went to a dive shop this afternoon and expressed my concern for having to take off and put on the BCD in the water. Told them that I had done it but it was very difficult for me. The DM there told me that was NOT one of the requirements for OW cert. Imagine my surprise. My mouth must have been open because he told me to shut it. That's one of the MAIN reasons I've been putting off trying for the OW cert. I really struggled with that in the pool and figured I'd never get it out in OW. The DM said they hold OW dives starting in May over a 2-day weekend so I will be trying to get in one of the classes for June. A re-fresher course is gonna cost me $75 for a 3 hour course, but worth it to me. Will hold off taking that until closer to the time to actually qualify.

frediver....I definitely have the 50hrs of snorkling. Love to do that. And actually have about 2 hours of scuba diving now. So well on my way to being an average intermediate diver, LOL. Thanks guys for all the stories and help. Keep 'em coming. It makes great reading.......at least to me it does.

It really is to bad they ( or someone ) discontinued the B.C. skill for OWD.

All I can say is that it is not tuff to master if you have good inst. and a good buddy.

I will also say it can be a skill you will often Need to Know !

Mastering this skill can make many of your dives much more enjoyable.

If you are worried about sinking after you remove your B.C. consider

wearing a snorkel vest under your Scuba B.C. ( no CO2 inflator ).

I use one as part of my std. equipment, at some point you Will Need To remove

your B.C. in the water ! Learn now before you actually need to Know How.

It really is to bad they ( or someone ) discontinued the B.C. skill for OWD.

All I can say is that it is not tuff to master if you have good inst. and a good buddy.

I will also say it can be a skill you will often Need to Know !

Mastering this skill can make many of your dives much more enjoyable.

If you are worried about sinking after you remove your B.C. consider

wearing a snorkel vest under your Scuba B.C. ( no CO2 inflator ).

I use one as part of my std. equipment, at some point you Will Need To remove

your B.C. in the water ! Learn now before you actually need to Know How.

I lost the Edit.

Skin or Scuba diving is all about maximum comfort with your equipment/environment and elimination of stress.

Less Stress = more comfort or More comfort=less stress .

Both will get you more time in the water, more air in your tank and fewer/less chance of accidents.

The BC removal/replacement is one way your instructor can judge

your comfort/stress level.

I actually went to a dive shop this afternoon and expressed my concern for having to take off and put on the BCD in the water. Told them that I had done it but it was very difficult for me. The DM there told me that was NOT one of the requirements for OW cert. Imagine my surprise.

That leaves me with the question: what do you do in case you must get out of your BCD underwater? :eek:

Don't get me wrong, guys. I can get out of it, and damn quick. I just can't get the thing back on. I can also get rid of my weight belt pretty quickly also. Not sure whether I posted it earlier or not, but have had surgery on both shoulders and it's a little difficult reaching behind me. But, I can/could do it if my life depended on it.

Many BC's have clips or buckles on the shoulder straps which make it much easier to get into and out of the BC. While I don't always use them myself, I notice that most times when I'm on a boat where the crew switches out the tanks for you between dives, the first thing they usually do once I'm seated is to unbuckle the shoulder straps. It's much quicker and easier to get out of the BC this way, and it would also make it less of a struggle for anyone with possible shoulder issues.

It's not about getting out of it if your life depended on it, I'm sure you could.

It is more about finding a better way that works for you so you can get out of it

without the stress you seem to be giving the task.

If you are having range of motion issues then you need to find another way. Perhaps a smaller tank would work better for you, not as much mass to move.

Or a modified BC with grab loops where you need them, careful of getting them caught on crap you swim by or thru!!!!

Perhaps just adding more webbing to the straps you have would work, this would enable you to make larger loops you could swim into rather than pull over your head. You would need a way to secure the excess strap when you get everything on but that is a different issue.

My wife had "issues" with that task but they seemed to go away when I switched her to a smaller 50ft. tank. A smaller tank also means less work, less air consumed. The 50 will last her as long as many peoples 80 will last them.

She is not a tiny girl either, 5-6 130lbs.

I certainly do appreciate all the advice and concern everyone has thrown my way thru-out this entire thread. Heck, I've almost learned more on here than I did in my class. And I'm really starting to get excited again about taking my refresher course and going for my OW cert in a muddy lake. We don't have another Carib cruise until Feb of next year, but if things work out, at least I'll be ready to go to 60' instead of having to stay at 40'. I think what I'm really trying to say here is.......HOPEFULLY I'll never be in a situation where I HAVE to rid myself of my vest. I just can't foresee myself in any dangerous spot. The only place we sail is the Carib(except she wants to go to Alaska(YUK)), so hopefully it'll all be nice clear water. I watch some of the diver shows on Discover and The History Channel and I would absolutely love to be able to do that, but I'm a realist. I know at my age that just ain't happenin', boys.

For me, getting into the BC is easier in the water than out. A trick I learned back in the days when it was 2 straps and a steel plate helps.

When in the water:

Step 1, lay the BC out on the water in front of you with the regulator facing you and the tank below

Step 2, insert your arms into the BC straps

Step 3, do a really hard dolphin kick and roll head over heels into the BC.

Step 4, when you finish rolling into the BC, tighten the cumberbund (or waist cinch straps) and then adust the shoulder straps.

It is sort of like the old kid's trick of laying a jacket on the ground and rolling into it.

Most dive masters freak out the first time I do that to them. I will talk to the dive master and just tell him that I am going to toss my gear overboard and get into it in the water. About 80% will tell me flat out no, that I have to do it the "normal" way. The other 20% look at me like I have lost my mind, but say OK while thinking "what the h*ll, it should be amusing". Tossing your all gear in and putting it on in the water used to be a required skill way back in the day (I was first certified for scuba in 1974). As well as being able to completely swap your gear with your buddy while underwater. So people tend to freak out when I stop and take everything off to reset the tank or the hoses or fix something while sitting on the bottom.

When I take my own gear, I looked for a BC that has the front straps on snaplocks. So I unsnap the left side and slide my right arm in, lean back into the BC and then refasten the left side once the right side is seated correctly. When I use rental equipment that won't do that I have to loosen both sides of the upper straps as far as they will go and slide my right arm in, then lean forward to get my left arm in and then tighten the straps. Arthritis limits my range of motion on getting my arms through the straps. Worse case I ask the person on my left to help slide my arm in. Getting old is not for fraidy cats. :D

ken

I've put my bc on in the water on several occasions. Mine is a Zeagle Zena and it zips up like a vest. I slip my arms through it, lie on my back on the tank, and zip it up. No problem at all. I almost always remove it in the water and pass it up, also, before climbing back onboard.

Thing is, there are many ways to do this and one of them will work for you.

If your instructor does not think it important to help you find one that works for you

then you need to think about finding a new instructor!

Archived