Has anyone heard about this?

Princesssuzie

I heard that starting in 2012 travel Agents are not able to offer discounts on Princess Cruises. I like to book directly with the cruise line anyway. They have a department of Cruise Vacation Planners and they know everything about Princess. Has anyone else hear about this new policy?

I heard that starting in 2012 travel Agents are not able to offer discounts on Princess Cruises. I like to book directly with the cruise line anyway. They have a department of Cruise Vacation Planners and they know everything about Princess. Has anyone else hear about this new policy?

I had an email from a US based TA stating this and suggesting "get in quick". Since I do not have an historical link with a US agent so cannot book via US, I deleted it and did not bother to follow up. The email was implying that "in kind" offsets might be possible.

Colleen

Royal Caribbean and Carnival no longer allow TAs to lower their price. Sounds like Princess is now doing that. TA's can give free insurance, wine, OBC but price is set. Remember Princess, Holland America, Costa, etc. are cruise lines owned by Carnival Corp.

Princess is just now doing what the other lines have done for at least two years. They will now prohibit TAs from offering prices lower than what Princess feels is an appropriate price. (actually the "street Price" versus the Brochure Price). So that all prices will now be somewhat the same if you buy from Princess directly, an On-Line TA or the bricks and mortar TA down the street.

(This is usually done because of certain parties discounting the prices dramatically and thus the TA commission for others is reduced to intolerable levels.)

Why use a TA? They are unnecessary middlemen. Cruise lines will have to adjust pricing based on sales. The downside is that it will be like shoppting around for airfare, but the time invested will be worth the savings when they come.

TA's continue to offer "thank you gifts $$$ "despite cruise line discount restrictions. They also may offer speculative group rates that are lower than current rates.

Because since we are cruising with another couple, our TA was able to set us up as a group and we were given a discount of $250 per person, plus $200 each on board credit. That's almost $1000 savings per couple compared to booking directly with the cruise line. That's why. Maybe for you that $450 savings per person is "unnecessary", but for us it's a nice bonus. :rolleyes:

Why use a TA? They are unnecessary middlemen. Cruise lines will have to adjust pricing based on sales. The downside is that it will be like shoppting around for airfare, but the time invested will be worth the savings when they come.

Because since we are cruising with another couple, our TA was able to set us up as a group and we were given a discount of $250 per person, plus $200 each on board credit. That's almost $1000 savings per couple compared to booking directly with the cruise line. That's why. Maybe for you that $450 savings per person is "unnecessary", but for us it's a nice bonus. :rolleyes:

Even if they don't make a group for just a few people, they may rebate some of their commission in the form of an OBC or amenities.

Archived