What about WA cruises to Asia??

bazzaw

With the announced demise of Pacific Sun, most comment has been so far about whether there will be a replacement for her, or what offers people have been made for replacement cruises.

But from a wider perspective is the question about the future viability of cruises from WA to Asia. Will these now be a thing of the past??

Barry

With the announced demise of Pacific Sun, most comment has been so far about whether there will be a replacement for her, or what offers people have been made for replacement cruises.

But from a wider perspective is the question about the future viability of cruises from WA to Asia. Will these now be a thing of the past??

Barry

Nothing at the moment on P&O, but who knows in the future? Princess do Asian cruises from Fremantle.:)

I am looking to do a cruise from Freemantle in 2013, but Princess have only a couple listed during the period I'm interested in June/July and the prices are horrendous. they have increased by more than $1,000 over next years prices. I was hoping to get out of our winter for a couple of weeks, but unless sanity prevails and they get real with the prices, looks like I'll have to continue to cruise anywhere but in Australian waters. So much for "buying Australian".

I have been told that the Athena is a great small ship with very nice feel to it, so this could be an option for those of you thinking to do asia,some very good itineraries as well.Of course you still have princess.

Regards Frank.

Barry

Yes not looking good for our cruises out of Perth.A close friend had a short cruise booked on the PS in Sept 2012,they have now been offered a similar cruise out of Sydney next year (flights at their cost ) or a full refund.

They did ask if there was to be a replacement ship for Perth next year but were promptly told there is no plans in the near future.

Oh well it was good why it lasted and we did get to sail on her last year out of Perth.

Cheers

Johhno

Nothing at the moment on P&O, but who knows in the future? Princess do Asian cruises from Fremantle.:)

I am sure Sun Princess did the Indo cruise out of Fremantle for one season before Pacific Sun? If so It may be going back to this route? Hope so as I thought it was a fantastic trip even though it was on the tired old pac sun.

I would assume some are getting a little bored with the same old South pacific Islands,I am anyway.

Den

I have been told that the Athena is a great small ship with very nice feel to it, so this could be an option for those of you thinking to do asia,some very good itineraries as well.Of course you still have princess.

Regards Frank.

When I did the Indo cruise on pacific Sun I spoke to quite a few cruisers who had already done the Athena Bali Cruise and although the Athena is not a new or big vessel they all disliked the pacific sun and said they were very dissapointed and wished they were on the Athena instead.

Cruisers from East would possibly say the same about the Athena because they are so used to P&O?

Den

I am sure Sun Princess did the Indo cruise out of Fremantle for one season before Pacific Sun? If so It may be going back to this route? Hope so as I thought it was a fantastic trip even though it was on the tired old pac sun.

I would assume some are getting a little bored with the same old South pacific Islands,I am anyway.

Den

The Sun Princess did Indonesian cruises out of Fremantle this year, as well as the Indian Ocean cruise to South Africa.

I think P&O Australia sent the Pacific Sun on experimental new departure ports because they knew it would not be missed by the Sydney crowd. Cruising from Fremantle was a new thing and obviously it needed testing to see how popular it is. The danger of sending a ship like Pacific Sun to new ports to cruise from is that if passengers hate the ship then it damages the reputation of P&O.

Why did the city of Newcastle get the Pacific Sun and not the Pacific Jewell or Pacific Dawn instead? I know some people who can vouch for Pacific Dawn as exceptionally better than the Pacific Sun.

I personally think cruising from Fremantle is a great idea as it is a short trip up the coast that can get to parts of Asia that I would like to visit. Cruising from Fremantle may even be able to include pots like Hong Kong, Singapore and some Thai and Vietnamese ports in a reasonable amount of time. Looking at the Princess website they have a few departures from Fremantle back to other ports into 2013.

If Darwin had the facilities to do turn around voyages then it may even be a great city to launch cruises to Asia. Its not that much of a pain to fly across Australia.

The thing that is 100% crystal clear here is that P&O Australia knew they had to get rid of Pacific Sun so bad that it was worth the damage to their reputation by ruining peopels holidays.

The Sun Princess did Indonesian cruises out of Fremantle this year, as well as the Indian Ocean cruise to South Africa.

She also entered York Sound in the Kimberleys - a first for a ship this size earlier this year. Now that is a sight to see. :)

http://www.pocruises.com.au/AboutUs/News/Pages/SunPrincessBecomesLargestCruiseShiptoVisittheKimberley.aspx

She also entered York Sound in the Kimberleys - a first for a ship this size earlier this year. Now that is a sight to see. :)

http://www.pocruises.com.au/AboutUs/News/Pages/SunPrincessBecomesLargestCruiseShiptoVisittheKimberley.aspx

We were there in April this year on the Sun Princess. We were looking forward to the Kimberley Cruising (as it was shown on the itinerary). The weather was good, but frankly, the scenery we could see wasn't that great. We have travelled by road through this part of the country and it is spectacular, but seen from a ship the size of the Sun P (having in mind how far off the shore line it has to travel), it was rather a non-event. We kept waiting for the good bit. :D I would rather take the small boat ride down the Ord River (spectacular) or the Chamberlain Gorge boat ride, or the Geikie Gorge boat ride. I could go on.....

We were there in April this year on the Sun Princess. We were looking forward to the Kimberley Cruising (as it was shown on the itinerary). The weather was good, but frankly, the scenery we could see wasn't that great. We have travelled by road through this part of the country and it is spectacular, but seen from a ship the size of the Sun P (having in mind how far off the shore line it has to travel), it was rather a non-event. We kept waiting for the good bit. :D I would rather take the small boat ride down the Ord River (spectacular) or the Chamberlain Gorge boat ride, or the Geikie Gorge boat ride. I could go on.....

Or on the Orion - mmmmm.....

Kimberley Expedition

Orion’s Expedition Team will lead your exploration of secluded beaches and river inlets – waters famous for an abundance of wildlife. From spectacular waterfalls and awe inspiring gorges, to ancient cultural history and indigenous rock art, the only way you can access the best of the Kimberley is from the sea onboard Orion.

This itinerary has been enhanced to include complimentary flight seeing over the famous Bungle Bungle ranges. Please note these voyages are made up of two international sailings and will be ticketed as such. One way pricing to/from Com is also available.

Saw a documentary of something similar a few years ago. They saw some spectacular scenery.

Or on the Orion - mmmmm.....

Kimberley Expedition

Orion’s Expedition Team will lead your exploration of secluded beaches and river inlets – waters famous for an abundance of wildlife. From spectacular waterfalls and awe inspiring gorges, to ancient cultural history and indigenous rock art, the only way you can access the best of the Kimberley is from the sea onboard Orion.

This itinerary has been enhanced to include complimentary flight seeing over the famous Bungle Bungle ranges. Please note these voyages are made up of two international sailings and will be ticketed as such. One way pricing to/from Com is also available.

Saw a documentary of something similar a few years ago. They saw some spectacular scenery.

Oh to win the lottery!!!! Around $1,000 per day is just a BIT out of my pocket.

Barry

Have you looked at Royal Caribbean - Voyager of the Seas. Cruises leaving Freemantle November 2012 and 2013. I sailed on Voyager out of Miami some years ago, can't wait to go on her again.

Barry, I think the Pacific Sun will be missed - she has been successfully completing Indian Ocean cruises from Fremantle for a few years now. Friends of ours were booked on one of the now cancelled cruises and have asked me to watch out for any good deals going on Sun Princess.

Sandy

Talking about Sun Princess. ,

Have just been speaking to a very well cruised friend who has just completed a 14 day cruise to NZ on Sun Princess. - this was the cruise where they missed a number of ports. He reckons that he wouldn't do a WC on her for a number of reasons (he did the WC on Oriana and Arcadia with us) - but also reckons that he has never experienced such good food in the MDR as he did on Sun (and that includes cruises on the 2 previously mentioned P&O UK ships, plus Queen Victoria and QE2). He also said that the crew on Sun Princess are the happiest he has ever experienced.

Just his opinion , of course!! :p

Barry

Sandy

Talking about Sun Princess. ,

Have just been speaking to a very well cruised friend who has just completed a 14 day cruise to NZ on Sun Princess. - this was the cruise where they missed a number of ports. He reckons that he wouldn't do a WC on her for a number of reasons (he did the WC on Oriana and Arcadia with us) - but also reckons that he has never experienced such good food in the MDR as he did on Sun (and that includes cruises on the 2 previously mentioned P&O UK ships, plus Queen Victoria and QE2). He also said that the crew on Sun Princess are the happiest he has ever experienced.

Just his opinion , of course!! :p

Barry

Thanks for that, Barry. Good to know. Happy crew + good food = great cruise. :)

Archived