Can 12 year old ,10 and 6 dine alone in MDR?

AKCoachie

" When my 17 year old son is with his buddies I often wish that I didn't know him. However, he was also raised to understand what behavior is proper in which situation, and is often the "voice of reason" in his peer group. My 18 year old daughter has an obsession with all things "proper and protocol ...But 17 and 18 year olds are not quite "kids". . You just can't lump all kids/teens into one category.

17, 18???...YES..they can join the Army.

So how can you make a comparison with a 10 and 6 yr old..:confused::confused::confused:

Good Lord, I wouldn't let my now 18 and 19 year old dine without me at the table. They CAN be mature, ARE well travelled, VERY poised and polite, and get compliments from other adults on how well spoken they are...

BUT....

They CAN be the biggest pain in the necks, rude, selfish, loud, and annoying like any other teenager. ...and I would NEVER impose that on ANYONE.

If the OP doesn't want to dine with their children, what makes them think that I would?

Bathroom break ......One son stays behind, other walks her to the Ladies room and waits outside the door for her.

If they all must go at the same time, they notify (teacher, coach or waiter then go together.)

I recommend this procedure for others too. ..

ha ha..I would like to see a waiter who would take notice...

as if they don't have enough to worry about!!

17, 18???...YES..they can join the Army.

So how can you make a comparison with a 10 and 6 yr old..:confused::confused::confused:

I wasn't making a comparison. In my post before that one I asked what "teen" age would be considered okay by the community in general and if they felt that any different cruise lines were "safer" for kids than others. Someone had mentioned that wouldn't let their 15 year old. I have older kids (12,17,18) and wanted to feel out what was acceptable for them.

I wasn't making a comparison. In my post before that one I asked what "teen" age would be considered okay by the community in general and if they felt that any different cruise lines were "safer" for kids than others. Someone had mentioned that wouldn't let their 15 year old. I have older kids (12,17,18) and wanted to feel out what was acceptable for them.

I did mention earlier that my daughter and her friend (both 16) did go to the dining room one night on their own when my husband and I were just too pooped to get dressed up for dinner. My daughter was a server at that age in a restraunt so I knew that they would both be alright and would behave properly. Although we did go check on them.

On our last cruise we shared our MDR lunch with two 17/18yo girl best friends.

The only problem we had with them was that we heard both their families tales of woe, including how one of their father's was conned out of his life savings.

• 2 weeks later...

The great thing about a cruise is that if you don't want to sit with your tablemates, you have the choice to; ask to be seated at another table, eat at the buffet, order room service or enjoy an open seating meal at a speciality restuarant.

The great thing about a cruise is that if you don't want to sit with your tablemates, you have the choice to; ask to be seated at another table, eat at the buffet, order room service or enjoy an open seating meal at a speciality restuarant.

You're suggesting others should have to leave the dining room and eat at alternative locations rather than dine with children on their own without their parents present?

Just want to be sure I understand>

I'm not suggesting others do anything. I am stating that if for some reason a guest on the cruise does not care for their tablemates, for whatever reason, they are free to make other arrangements. The kids have just as much right to enjoy the dining room as anyone.

I'm not suggesting others do anything. I am stating that if for some reason a guest on the cruise does not care for their tablemates, for whatever reason, they are free to make other arrangements. The kids have just as much right to enjoy the dining room as anyone.

Yes, but their parents should be at the table with them.

I would always ask for a different table if my tablemates have young children.

<snip>

Quote:

2) At least for me and my wife, probably something wrong with us. We'd be taking them to the speciality resturant, we never understood the concept of needing to get away. In a few years, you'll wish you had spent more time not that you had more time seperat.

You have no idea how true this statement is. All of my boys are now grown. As I read through these responses I'm sitting here wishing I could take my boys on a cruise and enjoy the experience with them.

We saw a young boy (~11) dining on his own every night on CCL Miracle. That was even in Your Time dining, though that ship was seating people with the same staff each night when possible. We eventually invited him to our table since that was kind of ridiculous. (The parents being MIA for a week, not the kid ... who was well behaved.)

That said, I don't see that typical kids that young would enjoy the extended dining experience on their own.

Now this just makes me sad. :(

I did not mean to confuse. I have no idea what the seating arrangements will be. On the one hand it might be nice to meet others at dinner,(as a family), other hand, relaxing to be seated at a table with just our family. we plan on dining together all but this one night. We have 8:15 seating. The seating time was the only dining request we made. We will most likely try the Italian specialty restaurant one night. If so, and we have a private table, I will inform maitre'de so they can give our table away. I am a first time cruiser and I was under the impression that the tables were larger than 5. It makes sense that there would be tables of various sizes. I am still not sure if this means Carnival will assign us to one with just our family. As far as reading the menu, our ten or twelve will be capable of reading, explaining, or assisting their precious little sister, if this is the option we chose. The only expectation of any stranger that I have is show some respect/courtesy to others. Same expectation I have for myself and kids. That being said, that is why I'm interested in other's opinions.

In my opinion, (and, as you mentioned, the kids might want something quick), just have them go to the buffet to make it easier on everyone. I see kids in the buffet areas often and they end up finding others their own age so for one night for the 2 of you to enjoy a nice dinner together, seems the appropriate thing to do.

Agree with all the others that suggest they do the buffet (or one of the other free options) instead of the MDR.

Like others have said, the best brought up and well behaved kids, when left alone can often forget about decorum and act goofy. Mine do sometimes.

I would not appreciate "goofy" behaviour at a neighbouring table in the MDR after I took the time and effort to dress up and show up...ESPECIALLY if it was a formal night.

Besides, the kids are apt to be a LOT happier with the buffet dining room food options and more relaxed atmosphere. My 11 year old daughter love the MDR because she felt so "special", and she also enjoyed the food, but I think it had a lot to do with the fact she was with us - alone, I'm confident she would have bailed for Windjammer. My 13 year old was only dragged to the MDR reluctantly, opting to dine with his other teen buddies many nights in the buffet.

Newbie question, we are planning on dining one night in the Steakhouse on the CCL Magic. Is it OK to send our kids to dinner on their own? Interested in others opinion on this one. Of course we know that there are other options. The kids would probably prefer to grab a couple of sushi rolls, a pizza or something from the buffet. Just asking...

I'm sorry but the ages of these children make it totally inappropriate for them to be dining alone anywhere. If you don't want to dine with them, at least stay with them while they eat in another venue before you head out for your specialty dinner. I certainly would hope that you don't let them run around on their own while you're at the steakhouse -- I just can't imagine that anyone would even consider such a plan.

This thread just makes me sad and I'm afraid OP, although s/he has been replying in this thread, has said nothing to put me at ease about this situation/scenario. I sincerely hope alternate arrangements will be made, as opposed to sending the children to the DR alone. :(

If this makes you sad, you probably didn't read the thread from a number of months ago when a father came on the family board and asked if it was OK for his 6 year old to go to the pools and buffet alone, so he and his wife could sleep in. This father admitted that they allowed this boy to go to the pool and the fast food areas at a Disney hotel when he was five, totally alone while the parents stayed in the hotel room. Now this is terribly sad.

Unfortunately, the saddest thing is witnessing parents allow their various aged kids completely trash their table, throwing food and performing tantrums while wasting food and barely letting the extremely patient annd proffesional staff clean up their filth before defiling the area again. I am glad to say my less than perfect children were at home with their wonderful waitstaff in the MDR where we dropped them off for an hour and 15 minutes, when they were finished with their meal they stopped by the Steakhouse for a bite of dessert, then proceeded to their evening activities at kids camp. 12yr dropped 10 and 6 off then went to his camp. We picked them up and went to the 10:30 show together. Again thanks for everyone's thoughtful opinions on this issue. I hope this thread line will help others to make good decisions regarding dining.

Archived