Can we talk about shareholder benefits?

I'm seriously considering buying CCL stock after our February cruise. I would be getting the stock specifically for the benefits, although, I will be mindful to purchase when/if it goes lower.

A few questions though..

Do shareholders become Platinum guests or would I still have to accumulate enough time on trips to qualify for Platinum?

If I don't use all of the credit, am I reimbursed the money at the end of the cruise?

Are most people experiencing an easy time using the OBC shareholder benefits on the sister lines?

Does anyone regret their decision to purchase CCL stock?

I'm seriously considering buying CCL stock after our February cruise. I would be getting the stock specifically for the benefits, although, I will be mindful to purchase when/if it goes lower.

A few questions though..

Do shareholders become Platinum guests or would I still have to accumulate enough time on trips to qualify for Platinum?

**No, -you have to qualify

If I don't use all of the credit, am I reimbursed the money at the end of the cruise? **Not sure, but cannot imagine how you would not use the max of $100 for a 7 day cruise

Are most people experiencing an easy time using the OBC shareholder benefits on the sister lines? **I used it on Princess also-no problem

**Look at the cost to buy the stock. I sold a stock and then bought Carnival and it cost me about $250-I have received $250 benefits back, so it was a wash for me.

**best answers I can give you-hope it helps-also, I think it ends like in July,2012 or sometime around then but I could be wrong.

We purchased our CCL stock solely for the OBC. We cruise at least five times a year, this year will finish as eight. We have received our initial investment in OBC.

You will not become platinum based on stock ownership. You will be eligible for OBC on all CCL lines. We have never had a problem receiving the OBC. Likewise, we have never had a problem spending the OBC!

Keep in mind that CCL votes each year on the OBC. The OBC is only per cabin, not per person.

Shirley

A few questions though..

If I don't use all of the credit, am I reimbursed the money at the end of the cruise?

Are most people experiencing an easy time using the OBC shareholder benefits on the sister lines?

On the last two, no we have used it on both HAL and Princess with no problemand no, I do not regret buying it. We cruise enough were we will have paid for it in 5 or 6 years.

Doesn't help with plat status.

The OBC is nice but I would not buy only for that reason (unless you cruise 6+ times a year, then maybe it would be worth it). The price point is a huge determiner on how happy you'll be with the purchase, just like any stock. I picked some up at around $16 a couple years ago....so $1600 for the 100 shares. Those same 100 shares were also bought 5 years ago for $5800 and currently at around $3300. So as you can imagine people that hold the stock at different prices probably have vastly different views on how happy they are with their choice to buy.

Other than the OBC, it isn't a great stock. Div is low, growth is slow, outlook (short term) is not great. It's certainly not a bad stock either, there are just many better ones, IMO, out there. Just make sure you do your research before you buy.

Here's a thought.....Even if you only cruise 1 time each year for 7 days....

I challange anyone to find another $25-$50 stock that pays a $100 annual dividend on 100 shares.

So, in essence, 1 7day cruise a year and you get a better deal than any other dividend you might earn for 100 shares somewhere else.

Now if it's stock performance you seek, CCl is probably not the best way to go.

I would seriously look at Carnival's last earnings. HUGE MISS and they guided down. Would you rather buy a stock with huge growth, or one that says going forward we might not be able to continue ANY GROWTH. fuel prices are up 30% year over year and more cabins being booked at lower than ever prices. We HOPE spending per cabin next year will be up 1% to 2%.

Anlysts downgrading it like crazy.. seriiously. Go read some of the headlines from their earnings before you say its worth it for the OBC rather than a growth stock.

The day the market was up over 300 points this week is the day they announced earnings. One of only 5 dow stocks that went DOWN that day. .. and they guided forward lower earnings. If you dont care if the market goes down you will lose money in your investment .. go ahead. Maybe the market will go higher for a while and you wouldnt lose money.

I challange anyone to find another $25-$50 stock that pays a $100 annual dividend on 100 shares.

So, in essence, 1 7day cruise a year and you get a better deal than any other dividend you might earn for 100 shares somewhere else.

I think the last line needs to be bolded and understood.

Im down $9 a share from where CCL sold earlier this year X 700 so Im down $6300 from where the stock was earlier this year in a better market, so I either have to sell and take a loss or hope oil goes back down or people who are in a recession in europe etc start paying more.

Are you going to exclude possible continued earnings being down so the stock continues downward?

stock was over $40 earlier this year and there is nothing to stop this stock from continuing down if oil prices stay this high.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Fuel-prices-drag-Carnival-apf-1459419037.html?x=0

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Summary-Box-Carnival-4Q-net-apf-3241396778.html?x=0

http://seekingalpha.com/article/315105-carnival-s-ceo-discusses-q4-2011-results-earnings-call-transcript?source=yahoo

analyst downgrades just came out (like shutting the barn door after the horse is out), after earnings, still hitting.

If you still think its a buy here before this settles out .. and read even the above news from a few days ago .. go for it. Its mostly about fuel up year over year... and I dont think CCL has settled in price. Has much more chance of going lower here.

Im down $9 a share from where CCL sold earlier this year X 700 so Im down $6300 from where the stock was earlier this year in a better market, so I either have to sell and take a loss or hope oil goes back down or people who are in a recession in europe etc start paying more.

Are you going to exclude possible continued earnings being down so the stock continues downward?

stock was over $40 earlier this year and there is nothing to stop this stock from continuing down if oil prices stay this high.

Yeah, that loss is not good. I'm glad I purchased my shares when they were at $30. I have no loss, as of yet. But it's the market, I certainly have loss in other stocks, and I have gains in yet others....If we could forecast accurately what was going to happen, we would all be billionaires...but hey, I'm no Buffet, just a lowly little fish in a big pond of scum.

Shareholders OBC is $50 for cruises 6 days and less, $100 for cruises 7 to 13 days, and $250 for cruises 14 days, or longer. I personally, LOVE having that OBC, and since we sail quite often, (6 cruises last year) we've certainly received our moneys worth.

"SKY"

Yeah, that loss is not good. I'm glad I purchased my shares when they were at $30. I have no loss, as of yet. But it's the market, I certainly have loss in other stocks, and I have gains in yet others....If we could forecast accurately what was going to happen, we would all be billionaires...but hey, I'm no Buffet, just a lowly little fish in a big pond of scum.

I am a stock picker. Stocks like CAT just came out showing 30% year over year and they have a much better chance of going higher. In fact Im up $30K on CAT since Sept. They are building 5 new facilities and have a large backlog of orders, especially mining equipment. They move with the price of copper often. Mining equipment is still hot.

But I have a bad habit of holding losers like CCL (so I always have it for a last minute cruise in my account).

Im just pointing out that CCL's earnings were pretty awful. The only reason the stock did not go down more that day was the market was up huge. You cant say this is what we will make .. and then not make it. CCL's management should be able to accurately predict earnings.. a miss is unforgiveable. I will get out if there is any kind of run here and take my losses. I see this going lower, not higher.

Here is a summary of the problem with earnings.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2011/12/21/charting-carnivals-latest-earnings-release.aspx

Again .. if a company is going to dissapoint, they should "warn" ahead of time themselves. Surely CCL knew they were going to dissapoint. its the year over year numbers that stank. Poor planning with shareholders money to not warn.

I would also note CCL is down on a up day so far.. its lagging already into a up week.

Not really sure how in depth you are with equities, but even if you purchased at $30, $100 divident on 3000 is only about 3.5%....there are literally thousands of stocks that press out a much higher div plus have price growth that CCL does note. PM is around 5.5 div, at&t is over 6%.

This board is NOT the place to get financial/stock advice.....

Thanks for the replies concerning obc...Just read the site and it seems that you cannot use it toward gratuties that are automatically charged to your account...correct? Unlike the fcc which can be used toward them...Is that correct or am I reading it wrong. Thanks

I am a stock picker. Stocks like CAT just came out showing 30% year over year and they have a much better chance of going higher. In fact Im up $30K on CAT since Sept. They are building 5 new facilities and have a large backlog of orders, especially mining equipment. They move with the price of copper often. Mining equipment is still hot.

But I have a bad habit of holding losers like CCL (so I always have it for a last minute cruise in my account).

Im just pointing out that CCL's earnings were pretty awful. The only reason the stock did not go down more that day was the market was up huge. You cant say this is what we will make .. and then not make it. CCL's management should be able to accurately predict earnings.. a miss is unforgiveable. I will get out if there is any kind of run here and take my losses. I see this going lower, not higher.

Here is a summary of the problem with earnings.

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2011/12/21/charting-carnivals-latest-earnings-release.aspx

Again .. if a company is going to dissapoint, they should "warn" ahead of time themselves. Surely CCL knew they were going to dissapoint. its the year over year numbers that stank. Poor planning with shareholders money to not warn.

CAT a great stock, picked up some during 'the great recession' but wish I loaded up on more. Mining is awesome, I have done well with POT and a few other metals/mining outfits. I think CCL will recover some, but it might be a while before you're flush on it again. Might be worth taking the hit and selling to get the tax break.

Thanks for the replies concerning obc...Just read the site and it seems that you cannot use it toward gratuties that are automatically charged to your account...correct? Unlike the fcc which can be used toward them...Is that correct or am I reading it wrong. Thanks

Same as FCC, both say they cannot be used for tips and gambling, and both can. Everything charged goes against all OBC.

Both are the same, both nonrefundable OBC.

Just to point out one more thing. RCL used to allow combinging FCCs with stock OBC and it was suddenly pulled out and not allowed.

if you buy ONLY for the OBC and ignore the fundamentals of the stock (Ive actually owned it for years, so when I bought the fundamentals looked much better and I held) ask yourself if you will be upset if they quit allowing you to combine it with FCC and other promos?

I have a personal 401k with my business using an E*Trade account. I bought the 100 shares in this account. It is a small portion of my retirement funds and i have picked worse stocks in the past, LOL. Why not get the perk of OBC and the dividends? I won't see any money in my hand until I retire anyway and it's not a big investment.

Someone last monday suggested people buy CCL at $34 .. how could you go wrong since you get OBC and a dividend.. anyone who bought even last monday from that thread is now down $150 approx on just 100 shares.. wiped out the next OBC and dividend ..swish.

Do understand that each point up or down is $100 on 100 shares or you should not be buying.

Archived