Can we talk about shareholder benefits?

Someone last monday suggested people buy CCL at $34 .. how could you go wrong since you get OBC and a dividend.. anyone who bought even last monday from that thread is now down $150 approx on just 100 shares.. wiped out the next OBC and dividend ..swish.

Do understand that each point up or down is $100 on 100 shares or you should not be buying.

It's frustrating. You are talking over the heads of most people. The general public is the reason why the market is so fickle.:rolleyes:

When I see post like 'you can't go wrong at this price!' 'The stock is just going to keep going up!' I just shake my head.

It's frustrating. You are talking over the heads of most people. The general public is the reason why the market is so fickle.:rolleyes:

When I see post like 'you can't go wrong at this price!' 'The stock is just going to keep going up!' I just shake my head.

I just sold 600 of my 700 shares for market, took whatever I got, up 9 cents on a stupid bounce. small fries in today, not the big boys who are off on vacation. 32.88, hey up 9 cents today right now.

offset my gains on better stocks, held 100 shares shows I paid $45ish.. yikes.

Apparantly these people missed the sell off to 16 I rode down and back up. My bad for holding after I was overall green again. Anyone who says its a good investment, only based on the OBC probably missed that drop to 16 a couple years ago and doesnt understand the risk.

I agree, 100 shares is peanuts in my overall investing, so held 100 only, since I now think oil prices will stay this high for a while.

Thanks for the replies concerning obc...Just read the site and it seems that you cannot use it toward gratuties that are automatically charged to your account...correct? Unlike the fcc which can be used toward them...Is that correct or am I reading it wrong. Thanks

The stock credit goes right on your sign and sale bill so it can be used for anything.

I paid $26. I used to cruise twice a year, so OBC was a nice bonus.

However I would not own the stock if I though it would go to zero.

I think that is what is missing form the calculations in this thread. Besides the dividends and OBC, you still have the shares and they still have value.

If all you want is a small return on investment, if that is all you need to make you happy then the stock market is probably not for you.

You buy stocks in companies you think are managed well (you trust the management not to be playing with the numbers), and companies that are doing something that can make money today and in the future.

This stock is grouped under the industry heading of Recreational Activities. The bottom line should be if you think "Recreational Activities" like cruising is something that will be done as much as it is today, or even more in the future.

If you can answer yes to "Is CCL Management capable, and honest?" AND is the product popular and profitable? Not just today but 3 years from now, 8 years from now, ten years from now?

Then you are making an educated decision.

It could be APPLE stock, it could me Marriott....

So for me it was seeing how many profitable ships CCL has and how they manage them. I liked that, so I bought 100 shares...

If I thought for one minute that I didn't have confidence in the management, or that people might not cruise as much in the future....I would sell.

I just sold 600 of my 700 shares for market, took whatever I got, up 9 cents on a stupid bounce. small fries in today, not the big boys who are off on vacation. 32.88, hey up 9 cents today right now.

offset my gains on better stocks, held 100 shares shows I paid $45ish.. yikes.

Apparantly these people missed the sell off to 16 I rode down and back up. My bad for holding after I was overall green again. Anyone who says its a good investment, only based on the OBC probably missed that drop to 16 a couple years ago and doesnt understand the risk.

I agree, 100 shares is peanuts in my overall investing, so held 100 only, since I now think oil prices will stay this high for a while.

Don't feel too bad, I'm still riding BAC down. At this rate I'll either wait and recover in 10 years or go down with the ship:)

Thank you for all the insight provided through the thread.

To add to this story.. I am not really sure I will be out much by getting this stock. I found out I have an inheritance coming to me of HP stocks. I was considering converting a portion of them to CCL stock for the shareholder benefits while keeping the remaining stock as is.

My career and my lifestyle allow me to vacation as often as my wallet can afford and I am a train ride away from Long Beach and Seattle ports. In theory, I could cruise several times a year, so the shareholder benefits could be an enticing incentive. To the poster who asked would I want to hold on to the stocks if there was no benefit, the answer would be no, I would just keep everything in HP.

Anyways, I really appreciate the discussion on this thread.

Thank you for all the insight provided through the thread.

To add to this story.. I am not really sure I will be out much by getting this stock. I found out I have an inheritance coming to me of HP stocks. I was considering converting a portion of them to CCL stock for the shareholder benefits while keeping the remaining stock as is.

My career and my lifestyle allow me to vacation as often as my wallet can afford and I am a train ride away from Long Beach and Seattle ports. In theory, I could cruise several times a year, so the shareholder benefits could be an enticing incentive. To the poster who asked would I want to hold on to the stocks if there was no benefit, the answer would be no, I would just keep everything in HP.

Anyways, I really appreciate the discussion on this thread.

As others have said, in the grand scheme of your portfolio 100 shares if CCL is a pretty minimal risk anyway, and if you plan on cruising allot then go for it! HP's gotten pretty hammered lately but it has allot of upside.

Archived