motion of the ocean???

only1deejay

So I'm in a star balcony baja deck forward ship way forward....

if the waves outta SF Bay get choppy will forward cabins get the brunt of the motion???

also I'm thinking that due to the weight of the ship it would make her more stable in ocean:eek: or is it that she's not very wide but very tall??? thanks.:)

To a large degree with modern stabilizers that limit sideways movement, in rough seas the forward to rear (up and down) is noticed least midships and on the lower decks .

Imagine the ship as a seesaw, the higher up you are and the nearer to the extreme ends of the see saw the more you are going to go up and down .

Caveat Emptor : Size does not always count . Have been in big boats in big seas that have ridden poorly, and small vessels in big swells that have ridden much better .

Agree with the previous poster regarding size....I've also been on some smaller ships that ride nicer than some of the larger ones. Motion depends on too many factors.....wind conditions at the time, waves, currents, how much they use the stabilizers, etc.

You will definitely feel the motion less on the lower decks and midship. After that, I'd say the aft is better than the far forward. I know this sound strange, but in my opinion, the aft sometimes tends to sway side to side, while the front is more of an up and down. You can also sometimes feel a slight vibration on the aft. I've had several aft cabins with no real issues, but visited a friends cabin in the far forward of the ship (when the ship seemed to be a bit rocky) and realized how much worse it was forward.

As said, the stabilizers help only if the ship is rocking side-to-side and there are many factors that affect ship movement. Larger ships, while heavier, also have a very shallow draft for their height which, even with ballast, makes them susceptible to the wind. That's why the Grand class ships can't get into some ports if the wind is stronger than 35mph; their height acts as a sail, making them harder to control. Small ships are narrower and often designed to cut through waves better. The old ocean liners didn't have stabilizers but did pretty well because of their design: sharp bow and narrow body that pierced the waves. Today's large ships are more like giant rubber duckies. :) OK, an exaggeration...

In my experience, you will feel the most movement on the ship all the way forward. It is a pitching up and down movement. You may also be able to hear the crash of the waves against the hull. I think midship and aft are better locations if you get seasick and are worried about movement.

However, if the seas are not terribly rough I do not think movement is a big issue anywhere on the ship. The only time I was inconvenienced by movement (woken multiple times during the night) was in a cabin that was second from the bow during a hurricane in the Caribbean.

In my experience, you will feel the most movement on the ship all the way forward. It is a pitching up and down movement. You may also be able to hear the crash of the waves against the hull. I think midship and aft are better locations if you get seasick and are worried about movement.

However, if the seas are not terribly rough I do not think movement is a big issue anywhere on the ship. The only time I was inconvenienced by movement (woken multiple times during the night) was in a cabin that was second from the bow during a hurricane in the Caribbean.

I agree. The far forward cabins seem to have the most motion to me. I've stayed far forward, midship, aft and in between. The only time I felt quesy was in a forward cabin. I think it was the pitching, up and down motion and the fact that it was a sailing to Mexico. So, on the way back up from Mexico the seas can be rougher.

I agree. The far forward cabins seem to have the most motion to me. I've stayed far forward, midship, aft and in between. The only time I felt quesy was in a forward cabin. I think it was the pitching, up and down motion and the fact that it was a sailing to Mexico. So, on the way back up from Mexico the seas can be rougher.

Love those forward cabins! As I am concerned, the more movement, the better! Of course, on our last cruise to Hawaii, there were many sick people for the first couple of days... Not a pretty sight!

Archived