Balcony Vs. Suite question

smiles32617

Hey fellow cruisers!

I am getting Married and plan to take a cruise for my honeymoon. I have talked my fiancee into not getting a Premium Vista Balcony (same price as an ocean suite). but now we are faced with get a regular balcony or an ocean suite? about a 500 dollar difference in price, which is okay since it's our honeymoon. Is a suite really worth it?

I've never cruised with a suite but I've never cruised without a balcony. I NEED a balcony because I love to sleep with the door open. I don't spend much time in the cabin other than sleeping and before dinner, so a suite wouldn't be worth much extra for me.

I have cruised with a suite and standard balcony and I prefer just the standard balcony and will not be cruising a suite again. The suite was a bigger room and it did have a tub but seeing as we are never really in our room we don't think it is worth it for us to pay more for a suite again. We are just as satisfied with a standard balcony room.

I think it just depends on what you are looking for. I will say that having a balcony is definitely worth it. It is nice to be able to step outside and feel the breeze while the other person is getting ready and we also usually eat our breakfast on the balcony :)

I agree that it depends on what amenities are your priority and how much time you spend in your cabin. I have stayed in all three cabin categories you have mentioned. On a larger ship, priority embarkation & debarkation is a nice feature. I like having my own outdoor space & spend quite a bit of time on a balcony. If you plan to spend time sunning, eating, reading or taking photos on your balcony, you might want to consider getting the cabin/balcony that will be most comfortable for the both of you. If money is no object, my personal preference is a suite or aft wrap balcony. BTW, congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

LSDRG

IMHO the added cost of a first level suite doesn't enough added benefits for the added cost. Your cabin will be a little bigger. You'll have a larger dressing area and the bath will feature a small whirlpool tub. The balcony will be larger. Nice? You bet. $500 nice? Not for us. If you want to board early arrive early. Zone 1 is right behind VIP.

Now if you are talking about an aft wrap on a Conquest Class ship that's a different story! Cabin nothing special and no benies at all except....the most awesome balcony there is! Large enough for a small army or a nice couple!

I had an Ocean Suite on The Magic this past October and loved it. I really liked the seperate dressing room area and the very large bathroom. The balcony was ok but we really didn't spend much time there as this was a very port intensive cruise. Also, on Carnival there really are not any perks as there are with other cruise lines. I would say if you have an extra $500 laying around I would do it.

I would go for the Ocean Suite. Balconies are nice but the OS room is great. We have done the aft wraps but really do not like them--know I am in the minority. When our kids got married on board they had an OS and loved the extra room. I like the tub as I have a large whirlpool tub at home I use every night.

hey fellow cruisers!

I am getting married and plan to take a cruise for my honeymoon. I have talked my fiancee into not getting a premium vista balcony (same price as an ocean suite). But now we are faced with get a regular balcony or an ocean suite? About a 500 dollar difference in price, which is okay since it's our honeymoon. Is a suite really worth it?

no!

If've sailed on both. I'd say if you plan on spending a lot of time in your cabin ;) then go for it. But if not, go for the balcony and save the $500 for something. For my family and I, we like the suites, but unless there is a great deal on them we'll just go for the balcony.

Have fun and Congratulations!!

I had a suite on the Liberty and due to the fact I was sailing with my DD and her best friend - both 21 y.o - I must say that the extra space in the cabin, bathroom and private dressing area was well worth every extra penny. Also the balcony is larger and we could all sit out there together quite comfortably.

That said - if it were just myself and one other person I would stick with a regular balcony and spend the money in the spa instead :)

We now always cruise in a Suite, but that's because we like the extra room now that we have our small son with us. The bathtub is nice, but it's super small although the jets are nice.

You'll enjoy either room... there's not a huge difference in size. You'll enjoy the extra dressing area but I agree with others... with just the two of you, I would probably spend that on something fun at the spa, extra excursion, chef's table.... the balcony for me is the non negotiable item.

Are you getting married on embarkation day? If so you will get priority boarding regardless.

I have stayed in balconies and suites and enjoy both as long as the cabin is in a quiet location and the view is not obstructed. That being said, I was recently married on a Carnival ship and opted for the suite. It was absolutely worth it. You get a little extra glamour, the extra room is great for getting ready and taking pre-ceremony photos, and the extra storage was perfect for all of the extra wedding stuff we had to bring with us. I'm not sure why anyone would say a suite is absolutely not worth it- especially for your wedding/ honeymoon- unless they have never experienced a suite and a balcony room.

If money is tight, the balcony should be fine. But if you can afford it, I really felt it was worth the splurge. It made the whole wedding and cruise even that much more perfect!

Congratulations!!!!!

Are you getting married on embarkation day? If so you will get priority boarding regardless.

I have stayed in balconies and suites and enjoy both as long as the cabin is in a quiet location and the view is not obstructed. That being said, I was recently married on a Carnival ship and opted for the suite. It was absolutely worth it. You get a little extra glamour, the extra room is great for getting ready and taking pre-ceremony photos, and the extra storage was perfect for all of the extra wedding stuff we had to bring with us. I'm not sure why anyone would say a suite is absolutely not worth it- especially for your wedding/ honeymoon- unless they have never experienced a suite and a balcony room.

If money is tight, the balcony should be fine. But if you can afford it, I really felt it was worth the splurge. It made the whole wedding and cruise even that much more perfect!

Congratulations!!!!!

This is a great point if she is getting married on the ship!!!! I must say that I based my answer as if the cruise is the honeymoon with the wedding taking place at another location prior.

I would go with the suite! I have been in both many times. Besides the extra room, there is a separate vanity area with stool for make up application, etc. It is right next to the bathroom; but with the door closed to the bathroom, you can actually dress and style without the steamy bathroom ruining things. I like the glamour and mirroring in the suite as well. Go to cruiselineroomsdotcom and look at different photos of both.

Have Fun and Congrats!

Chick.

Wow.. thanks so much guys!!!

I think we are going with a regular balcony and going to call a couple months ahead and see if we can pay less to be upgraded. If not than we will be happy where we are :)

We are NOT getting married the day of but that's okay, I just love cruising, doesn't matter to me if I am the first on or not :)

Thanks again for all your opinions :)

Archived