Silly Question.. Bed Jackets and Smoking Jackets

I have a bed jacket! Some friends got it for me last summer when I was sick, don't know where they found it. I thought I'd never use it, but I do on cool evenings when I'm reading in bed. I actually wear it backwards so I can fling it off when a hot flash hits.

Smoking jackets...haven't seen one in years, mostly on old movies. They are gorgeous.

Edit, I don't think I'd bother taking it on a cruise, too bulky to pack. I only take a thin cotton robe and if outside on the balcony first thing a.m. if it's cold I'll wear their heavy terrycloth robe.

Bed jackets are if you are recovering from some illness, lying in bed and receiving visitors, (preferably, with a poodle on your lap!) Smoking jackets are only for Hugh Hefner!

What Hef wore was not a smoking jacket but a short dressing gown.

Bed jackets come in handy in colder climes while sitting up in bed and reading...or watching Dave or Jay.

Thanks so much for the replies. Now I have a better idea about bed jackets!

My husband and I usually walk around hotels in our jammies late at night.. I am trying to figure out a little big more elegant attire than jammie pants and t-shirts. Maybe satin jammie pants and a smoking jacket for him and satin jammie pants and a sweater with rhinestone buttons and scarf for me. We are cruising out of Long Beach in February and expecting to be chilly :)

I own a smoking jacket. Also, in French, a smoking jacket is a tuxedo. Occasionally, when entertaining, I'll wear my smoking jacket with a bow tie and if entertaining at a restaurant, I will not hesitate to wear my shawl collar tuxedo jacket matched with black slacks and captoes.

CK

I own a smoking jacket. Also, in French, a smoking jacket is a tuxedo. Occasionally, when entertaining, I'll wear my smoking jacket with a bow tie and if entertaining at a restaurant, I will not hesitate to wear my shawl collar tuxedo jacket matched with black slacks and captoes.

CK

I have visions of Hercule Poirot! :D;):D

CK

I just have to say, that in this vast land of men in baseball caps and baggy shorts, it's nice to know that someone out there not only knows about men's apparel, but also actually dresses this way occasionally. :)

I had two extremely serious surgeries and when my best friend visted me in the hospital, she and her DH brought me a beautiful bed jacket. It was modest enough to cover me but pretty enough to give me a physcological lift. Something pretty always makes a lady feel a little bit better. :)

I had two extremely serious surgeries and when my best friend visted me in the hospital, she and her DH brought me a beautiful bed jacket. It was modest enough to cover me but pretty enough to give me a physcological lift. Something pretty always makes a lady feel a little bit better. :)

I love that story, thanks so much for sharing :)

fashion items come back in style. i would give anything too have my hip-hugger bell bottoms i once owned. a man in a smoking jacket would would be very smart looking on the balcony with a late night drink in his hand.

I would give anything to FIT in the hip-hugger bell bottoms I once owned! :D;):rolleyes:

Archived