NCL offering balcony for oceanview price

Gaprofitt

My PCC helped me out in using this sale to get a nice reservation on a B2B 2013 Canada / New England cruise. They found some OBC that I didn't know about in addition to the upgrade. On our cruise(s) the upgrade on the NCL site was obvious though.

I'm still not getting this. I put the promotion code in and then it ask me to pick "a room" according to the category I picked (which it doesn't state if you can go with ANY of the rooms of if you have to pick a certain room in order to get the upgrade...meaning can I pick the cheapest room and still get the upgrade???):confused:

Then it proceeds to tell me that it will "hold my room for 30 minutes".

At what point do you get the actual upgrade? How do you know you got it? How do you know where they upgraded you to? Do they pick your room for you?

If upgrade is available on the sailing you selected, you will see something like "free upgrade to category XX" showing in the cabin type selection screen. I found this written right under the price of the Cat 01 OV cabin of my sailing and when I click 'continue' then I was prompted with the deck plan and cabin number of the Cat BB Balcony cabins available for selection.

I posted this question on NCL's website and the response I got was this:

Norwegian Cruise Line wrote: "Hi Kim - Free upgrade refers to a better available accommodation within the meta (i.e. Interior for the price of a lower Interior category or Oceanview for the price of a lower Oceanview category or Balcony for the price of a lower Balcony category or Mini-Suite for the price of a lower Mini-Suite category). Sailings with Cross-Meta upgrades refers to selected sailings booked during 12/30/11 and 1/22/12 which allows the option to book a specific Oceanview category category for the price of a specific Interior category or book a specific Balcony category for the price of a specific Oceanview category or book a specific Mini-Suite category for the price of a specific Balcony category. So, the upgrades are built into the price. I hope that helps clarify for you!"

So the way I'm reading this is you actually select the "oceanview" room and the price showing is the same as an interior. I guess that's how it's working.

I posted this question on NCL's website and the response I got was this:

Norwegian Cruise Line wrote: "Hi Kim - Free upgrade refers to a better available accommodation within the meta (i.e. Interior for the price of a lower Interior category or Oceanview for the price of a lower Oceanview category or Balcony for the price of a lower Balcony category or Mini-Suite for the price of a lower Mini-Suite category). Sailings with Cross-Meta upgrades refers to selected sailings booked during 12/30/11 and 1/22/12 which allows the option to book a specific Oceanview category category for the price of a specific Interior category or book a specific Balcony category for the price of a specific Oceanview category or book a specific Mini-Suite category for the price of a specific Balcony category. So, the upgrades are built into the price. I hope that helps clarify for you!"

So the way I'm reading this is you actually select the "oceanview" room and the price showing is the same as an interior. I guess that's how it's working.

That's the way I understand it.

Well, I found a pretty good price for Breakaway Bahamas/Florida. As I was pondering the situation for about 6 hours -- one cannot rush into things -- the price went up almost $150 for the cabin I had chosen! This was at a very large online TA -- the one that pretty much had the Breakaway Bermuda open for booking first -- which will remain nameless, especially since I am not happy! Well, October 2013 is a long way off. I'll have time to get my revenge. :cool:

My PCC helped me out in using this sale to get a nice reservation on a B2B 2013 Canada / New England cruise. They found some OBC that I didn't know about in addition to the upgrade. On our cruise(s) the upgrade on the NCL site was obvious though.

I'm glad that I booked when I did. The upgrade for this cruise is no longer showing on the NCL webpage. When you see a good deal, you have to move fast with NCL. :D

Hi all. New here but I just went through this same confusion. We were looking to book a cruise for next month and the NCL "free balcony upgrade" drew us in. I was expecting it meant any oceanview room which would obviously be a great deal. After poking around the site I finally realized that only the more/most expensive oceanview rooms are available for balcony upgrades. They have something like "free upgrade available to category XX" in italics under the rooms.

We didn't end up paying for the more expensive oceanview rooms to take advantage of this promotion but their marketing gimmick worked since we just ended up booking an interior room.

Hi all. New here but I just went through this same confusion. We were looking to book a cruise for next month and the NCL "free balcony upgrade" drew us in. I was expecting it meant any oceanview room which would obviously be a great deal. After poking around the site I finally realized that only the more/most expensive oceanview rooms are available for balcony upgrades. They have something like "free upgrade available to category XX" in italics under the rooms.

We didn't end up paying for the more expensive oceanview rooms to take advantage of this promotion but their marketing gimmick worked since we just ended up booking an interior room.

:D Yes most advertising gimmicks do work that way. Stores do it all the time. They will either only bring in a limited number of something that is on a super deal or have limited quantities you can buy. It gets the buyer in the door. Car dealerships also do it as well as many other companies. In this case here, "getting the customer in the door" is getting you to their website.

It takes some digging sometimes, but over the past weekend I used that upgrade offer and got a balcony for the price of an Oceanview window room. This is on the Pearl's repo PC cruise next Sept. The BC catagory balcony rooms are $5679 for that cruise. By using the upgrade offer, I got one for $4119. So yes, the upgrades do exist...just kinda hard to locate sometimes. Oh....I see there is one room still remaining on that cruise for this offer.

Archived