HAL Menu Changes

T739

We just returned from a Nieuw Amsterdam cruise, and a friend just returned from Ryndam. On both cruises (New Years Holiday cruises) we noted some changes in the main dining room from our previous experiences. These included no lobster tails (they did serve thermidor one night), no Baked Alaska parade with sparklers, no escargots, no Dutch night. I wonder if this is a fleet-wide change or just a one-week situation.

For the most part this sounds like just a Holiday change.

One thing -- we haven't had Dutch night on any ship in several years.

We were on longer cruises in November -- had both the thermidor and lobster offering on different nights.

Did have the escargo.

There have been rumors that the Parade of the Baked Alaska was being done away with -- but on cruises it was still there -- on the last night of the cruise which on our cruises was the Master Chef Dinner (which has also been rumored that it was to go).

Yes, there have been menu changes.

On our Nieuw Amsterdam Thanksgiving week (and week after) cruise, they served the usual lobster tails. We never order them but I saw them on the menu.

We also noticed menu changes that were not all for the better IMO.

I found myself ordering from the always available options more than I would have liked.

[/b]

We just returned from a Nieuw Amsterdam cruise, and a friend just returned from Ryndam. On both cruises (New Years Holiday cruises) we noted some changes in the main dining room from our previous experiences. These included no lobster tails (they did serve thermidor one night), no Baked Alaska parade with sparklers, no escargots, no Dutch night. I wonder if this is a fleet-wide change or just a one-week situation.

We were on the Zuidy in Dec on an 11 Day cruise and they had the Lobster tail toward the end (after a normal 7 day) there was no escargots, and dutch night has not been around for awhile. Don't know about the baked alaska, that is done on the last night at the MCD and we try to stay away from that

No escargot!!! :( :mad: :eek: That's the one thing I look forward to toward the end of any of our cruises!

It also seemed to me that on the last couple cruises they have used an inferior cut of meat on formal nights--more like sirloin than tenderloin for surf and turf or beef Wellington.

We have also found that in the main dining room the cuts of meat are not as high quality as they used to be.

TOUGH!!

No escargot!!! :( :mad: :eek: That's the one thing I look forward to toward the end of any of our cruises!

Escargot was served on Nieuw Amsterdam...... chances are excellent you'll find it on Maasdam, Sheila. :) ]

Escargot was served on Nieuw Amsterdam...... chances are excellent you'll find it on Maasdam, Sheila. :)

Thanks, Judy. I certainly hope so! It's amazing how we get into our minds one particular food item we enjoy. That, and the gazpacho at Gladys' Cafe in St. Thomas, and my cravings will have been met.

Looking forward to the Chocolate Purse too...and perhaps some watermelon pie! ;)

Thanks, Judy. I certainly hope so! It's amazing how we get into our minds one particular food item we enjoy. That, and the gazpacho at Gladys' Cafe in St. Thomas, and my cravings will have been met.

Looking forward to the Chocolate Purse too...and perhaps some watermelon pie! ;)

Well ..... :D who knew Gladys' served good gazpacho. That is a favorite of mine in hot weather but I never ordered it there. Thanks for sharing. :)

Gladys' Cafe in St Thomas ...

I have to look for that next time I'm there. Love gazpacho (I could eat it all day!), and this place sounds like a great spot to take a break from all port activities.

How close is it to where the ship docks?

Well ..... :D who knew Gladys' served good gazpacho. That is a favorite of mine in hot weather but I never ordered it there. Thanks for sharing. :)

It's excellent, Judy. At least it was the last time we were in St. Thomas a couple years ago. I will check it out this time for sure.

Vic....it's in town...in the center of things. Up one of those alleyways from the harbor. We went there initially because a friend who writes for Cape Air magazine wrote an article about it. Gladys wipes down the bar, singing Ella Fitzgerald tunes and such. It is a very fun place.

Gladys' Cafe in St Thomas ...

I have to look for that next time I'm there. Love gazpacho (I could eat it all day!), and this place sounds like a great spot to take a break from all port activities.

How close is it to where the ship docks?

Thanks!

It looks like a keen place!

I will definitely go there on my next visit. :)

She's in an alley right off Main Street in the center of town. Ask anyone if you don't spot it. Everyone knows where to find Gladys'. :D

Very casual; island time; relaxing; friendly; food is fine. Nothing fancy but a decent choice..

She's in an alley right off Main Street in the center of town. Ask anyone if you don't spot it. Everyone knows where to find Gladys'. :D

Very casual; island time; relaxing; friendly; food is fine. Nothing fancy but a decent choice..

That's what I look for in a good eatery/tavern. I'm sure I'll be "at home" there. Thanks for the tip! ;)

And don't forget the hot sauce. We will be back later this month for eight more medium bottles. First read about the sauce in a New York Times travel article, and then in the Fodors guide.

Customers love when she sings at breakfast time.

I was on Nieuw Amsterdam the middle of December and we had lobster tails. Also escargots one night. They had Baked Alaska and parade the last evening. No sparklers but I think sparklers were dispensed with years ago, Ditto Dutch night.

That's what I look for in a good eatery/tavern. I'm sure I'll be "at home" there. Thanks for the tip! ;)

You're very welcomed, Vic. It's on the Royal Dane Mall, West...a right off the road that runs along the waterfront...to the right if you're coming from Crown Bay.

KWJ is right about the hot sauce...we always buy a bottle! And some for our kids.

It's a very upbeat, colorful, casual place...and very fun to all of a sudden have her break into a song while she's wiping down the bar.

We usually go to Megan's Bay for a bit, then take a taxi to town and have lunch at Gladys' on the way back to the ship.

Archived