A tip for NCL soda drinkers

Carolyn1950

If you get tired of the little glasses they serve soda in, ask for a mega bloody mary mug.. It took me 2 cruises to figure this one out. Not only do they hold more coke, they aren't as apt to blow over as the small glasses or the offical coke container. Then carry the mug back to your cabin and use it again.. Another tip, hide it in your cabin or the steward will take it when he cleans.

Do you mean for the same price you can get more soda?

What would you use the mug for later?

If you get tired of the little glasses they serve soda in, ask for a mega bloody mary mug.. It took me 2 cruises to figure this one out. Not only do they hold more coke, they aren't as apt to blow over as the small glasses or the offical coke container. Then carry the mug back to your cabin and use it again.. Another tip, hide it in your cabin or the steward will take it when he cleans.

Do you mean for the same price you can get more soda?

What would you use the mug for later?

I am refering to if you purchase the soda package.. Sorry, should have made myself more clear.. If you have the soda card, refill the mug.. And yes, it holds much more and saves you trips to get refills.. I rinsed mine out and used it the next day, but then I drink a lot of diet coke..

Oh, I see.

:rolleyes: I wonder why they don't remove juice from included beverages and sell that in a package too? (not really looking for an answer though)

I am refering to if you purchase the soda package.. Sorry, should have made myself more clear.. If you have the soda card, refill the mug.. And yes, it holds much more and saves you trips to get refills.. I rinsed mine out and used it the next day, but then I drink a lot of diet coke..

I didn't realize they would do this. We always get the soda program and while in the dining rooms it's never a problem to get refills. But when in a lounge we've found the "cocktail" waiters/waitresses to be a little less than excited about refills. (I know, they don't get the 15% added tip when you purchase the soda program.) So it would be much easier if we could ask for a larger glass.

Also, it kinda irritates me that we can't get the can. They will only pour it into a glass with ice.

On our first NCL cruise I bought the soda program and it said on the flyer that it included Coke, diet Coke, Sprite, Orange and Ginger Ale. My drink of choice is caffeine free diet Coke. But that wasn't one of the options. I can't have a lot of caffeine, so was drinking more Sprite, but don't really want the calories either. So one time at the bar I saw cans of diet Sprite. So I showed my S&S card with my sticker on it proving I was part of the soda program and asked for a diet Sprite. The bartender said that diet Sprite wasn't included in the soda program. I didn't argue with him, but in my mind I'm thinking how ridiculous that is because diet Sprite is just as much of a Coke product as regular sprite is!

So, when it came time to fill out the comment card at the end of the cruise I told them how much we enjoyed ourselves and how wonderful we thought the crew was, etc. Then I told them how silly it was to NOT include diet Sprite in the soda program.

9 months later we were on another NCL cruise - different ship. We signed up for the soda program again. The flyer said the same thing....Coke, diet Coke, Sprite, Orange and Ginger Ale. So on our first meal my nephew stepped up to the counter and asked for a Root Beer. The guy simply opened up a root beer and filled up my nephews glass and away he went. I thought I'd try it too, so I stepped up and asked for a diet Sprite. He gave me a glass filled with diet Sprite - no problem! Throughout the cruise we got many different kinds of Coke products that weren't listed on the flyer, including Cherry Coke. So I'm thinking they must have changed their policy about it, or the Star crew was more relaxed about granting people's wishes.

Have you experienced any of this?

Hikini:D

we brought our own large plastic travel mugs and they filled them up for us. It was nice to have something insulated while we were by the pool and nice to have something with a top in it. We also filled them with water at the buffett and it stayed cold for a fairly long time.

Is it worth getting the card...not for the money but for the service? It seems like people don't have good experiences getting drinks when they want them using the soda card. What do you think?

Is it worth getting the card...not for the money but for the service? It seems like people don't have good experiences getting drinks when they want them using the soda card. What do you think?

I have never seen a problem except when the passengers abuse the card. One card 5 people please bring me another and another until everyone is happy.

How much harder is somebody going to work for the 25 cent tip if you don't have a card. Now if the group next to you is drinking $10 coconut shell drinks I believe the wait staff might be more attentive to them.

Archived