Anybody been to Costa Smerelda, Sardinia?

bazzaw

We have a port stop with Cunard in the Costa Smerelda, Sardinia. I think the port is Palau.. I can't find out much about it. Looks to me like a full day shore tour , just touring around would be the thing to do. It looks more like a beach type resort area to me.

Any thoughts please?

Barry

We went there in 2010, but not on a cruise. It is a resort area which appeals to the rich and famous in July and August and is pretty quiet at other times. I see you are a Queenslander; we often go to Hamilton Island and its owner, Bob Oatley, has a villa in Porto Cervo as it is a yachting centre. We heard that he was trying to model Hammo partly on Porto Cervo and we were interested to see what it is like. It is very nice, low density but quite spread out. Has those typical European beaches where you pay to sit on it, but unlike other places in Italy, plenty of free beaches too. Quite good sand by Italian standards. And all the African blokes wander around selling this and that to the tourists. It is lovely scenery and I think you would need some type of tour unless you want to sit on a beach all day. We had a hirecar as we had a week in Sardinia.

Thanks for that - you have confirmed what I was thinking. It looks like it might be quite a nice place to visit - but a shore tour will be needed to see the place and fill in the day there. We don't do "sitting on beaches" anymore :)

Barry

Thanks for that - you have confirmed what I was thinking. It looks like it might be quite a nice place to visit - but a shore tour will be needed to see the place and fill in the day there. We don't do "sitting on beaches" anymore :)

Barry

Ha ha, neither do we, especially if one is expected to pay! But we were with our daughter and son-in-law who are living in London; they dragged us from beach to beach and tried to persuade us (without success) that spending 40 euros to have a "lounger" is a good way to part with your money.

However Sardinia is an interesting island and travelling there is a bit like Tassie. One expressway up the middle and the other roads slowish and scenic.

Archived