Just Returned: Carnival Magic / Galveston

bushwhack77

We just got back from a 5 day/night on Carnival Magic from Galveston. Went to Progresso and Cozumel. This was our 2nd cruise and we had a great time. The ship was smaller than our first (Royal Caribbean "Voyager of the Seas"). I would have to say that we preferred the larger ship since there is simply more to do/see on a larger ship. But, if you're already booked on a ship the size of the Magic, its not a reason to worry/change. Its a really nice ship and great service. If you take advantage of the offerings on the ship, you'll have plenty to keep you busy.

We liked going to both Progresso and Cozumel to see the contrasting areas/ports. Progresso is still basically primitive/UN-westernized and could be a bit intimidating if you're the type that doesn't like getting out of your comfort zone. Cozumel, on the other hand, is more commercialized/"smooth" for the typical US sourced person.

If you are _looking_ for something to complain about, I'm sure that you'll find it on every ship, but, I'll give you a head start on the Magic. The big screen had a few blocks of video that were constantly out. A couple of the hot tubs weren't open all of the time and one of the comedians weren't as Vegas-level as the other. But, find another vacation option that will take you to a foreign place, feed you lots of good food (full service), provide multiple entertainment options on the hour and do it with a smile for a few hundred bucks.

A cruise is as good as you make it. We have looked forward to both of ours, look for the good in things and in the people on the ship and at the ports and purposely enjoy them :)

We just got back from a 5 day/night on Carnival Magic from Galveston. Went to Progresso and Cozumel. This was our 2nd cruise and we had a great time. The ship was smaller than our first (Royal Caribbean "Voyager of the Seas"). I would have to say that we preferred the larger ship since there is simply more to do/see on a larger ship. But, if you're already booked on a ship the size of the Magic, its not a reason to worry/change. Its a really nice ship and great service. If you take advantage of the offerings on the ship, you'll have plenty to keep you busy.

We liked going to both Progresso and Cozumel to see the contrasting areas/ports. Progresso is still basically primitive/UN-westernized and could be a bit intimidating if you're the type that doesn't like getting out of your comfort zone. Cozumel, on the other hand, is more commercialized/"smooth" for the typical US sourced person.

If you are _looking_ for something to complain about, I'm sure that you'll find it on every ship, but, I'll give you a head start on the Magic. The big screen had a few blocks of video that were constantly out. A couple of the hot tubs weren't open all of the time and one of the comedians weren't as Vegas-level as the other. But, find another vacation option that will take you to a foreign place, feed you lots of good food (full service), provide multiple entertainment options on the hour and do it with a smile for a few hundred bucks.

A cruise is as good as you make it. We have looked forward to both of ours, look for the good in things and in the people on the ship and at the ports and purposely enjoy them :)

Umm the Magic doesn't sail 5 nights to Progresso and Cozumel. Where you on the Triumph?

You were on the Triumph... Magic only does 7 nights.

I started scratching my head when the OP said the "Magic" was a SMALLER ship:eek: When they are fairly equivalent and I believe the Magic has a slightly larger passenger capacity.

:p Ya'll be nice before you scare the OP away from posting anymore!

Oh come on admit it you were shaking your head and laughing too, LOL

OK. So I opened this thinking OH Boy we are going to hear about the 6 hr fog delay yesterday. Instead I am cleaning my coffee off my monitor.:o

After thinking about it I bet they're talking about the 6 night New Years Cruise on the Magic as it did go to both places if I remember right. Think Costa Maya may have also been on the ports of call but there may have been a problem. Either way beth they had a GREAT Cruise as I've sailed on both ships out of Galveston and have them both booked again! ;)

Wait a sec....i have a friend that left on the triumph sat 1/7 for 5 nights. Today is monday. Either OP doesnt know what hes talking about or my friend played an evil joke on me to make me jealous that hes cruising and im not....and i doubt that joke would include a 3 hr drive to galveston just to take and post a pic of triumph on fb.

Wait a sec....i have a friend that left on the triumph sat 1/7 for 5 nights. Today is monday. Either OP doesnt know what hes talking about or my friend played an evil joke on me to make me jealous that hes cruising and im not....and i doubt that joke would include a 3 hr drive to galveston just to take and post a pic of triumph on fb.

Your friend is right, the Triumph sails on Saturday's on a 5 day that gets back on Thursday, then departs on Thursday's for a 4 day that gets back on Monday, the departs on the other 5 day that gets back on Saturday.

Archived