Lawrence of Antigua

ranchette

Yes, excellent tour guide! Extremely flexible yet helpful in choosing sights to see. He provides beer, water and soda and will drop you at a beach for lunch and either wait nearby or pick you up.

Next trip try the Excellence catamaran, another excellent way to experience Antigua's beautiful shoreline and harbors.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a cruise that stopped in St. Johns Antigua and took an Island Tour with Lawrence of Antigua, this tour was wonderful, Lawrence was very informative, lots of island history. Lawrence took us to Church Beach after the tour, the beach was beautiful. Would choose Lawrence again if we ever go back to Antigua. :)

We booked a tour with Lawrence Of Antigua and were completely satisfied with the experience. He answered our e-mail right away and let us know what to expect, what the price would be and where and when to meet. He was on time and his van was spotless. Not only did he take us to all the promised spots, he was happy to go out of his way and take us to a beach were were interested in where he waited until we were ready to return to the ship. He didn't charge extra for the detour but we all felt that it was fair to add more for a great day. We just got back from our cruise and that tour was one of our highlights.

Edited by jackinav

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back from our cruise.

We used Lawrence of Antigua on Feb 10, 2012. He and the tour were outstanding!! His coach was spotless and very comfortable. If you have a group of 12 or more, the coach is yours alone. He includes beer, soft drinks, water and rum!!

He met us in town promptly at 8:45 and off we went. He took us to Devils Bridge, Blockhouse, Shirley Heights, Nelsons' Dockyard Valley church Beach, etc.

I had no idea Antigua was so beautiful. He also showed us Eric Clapton's compound from afar and the St James Villa resort.

We had such a great time with him, our 4 hour tour turned in a 6.5 hour tour.

Cost was $40 pp plus the $8 entry to the historical area. It was worth every penny plus some.

Our group loved him so much everyone gave him an additional tip.

After comparing Lawrence's Tours with Voyages Antigua Tours we chose to go with Voyages. The tours were very similar but Voyages price included the admission to the dockyard, Shirley Heights, beverages, a rum punch at the dockyard, and a large container of fresh local fruit. We ended up on the tour by ourselves and as weren't to interested in spending a couple of hours at the beach we requested and received more touring time. We were extemely pleased with Voyages, it is family business that involves the father, son and a daughter.

Just by the by, the first tour guide we encountered when got off the the ship was Lawrence and when we asked where we might find Voyages he pretended that he had no idea who they were.......really.:mad:

:p

Still wondering about that last comment...

But I'm sure the majority of other tours are just as professional and courteous as Lawrence. Some tourists posting here are not, unfortunately.

And just by the by, we paid only an entrance fee to the national park, all drinks and other parts of the itinerary were included in the tour price. Lawrence is a wonderful host and is extremely flexible. We were lucky enough to be there during the Regatta and watch ships leaving the dockyard. Antigua really has some amazing naval history.

I am curious about your post, what are you wondering about?

That's the second time I've seen the "By and by..." remark about Lawrence - do you feel that multiple posts like that are really necessary or helpful to anyone?

We all found Lawrence to be a very sincere gentleman. I appreciate direct viewpoints and the information on Voyages was great, I just would leave the last comment off your ensuing posts, that's all - once is enough for that type of "information".

IMHO of course

Edited by blue_water

You are certainly entitled to you opinion but when a direct question is asked of a tour operator on a small island and he feigns ignorance about where his competitor is located....what does that tell you about the invidual....or perhaps better stated it tells me something and I was both surprised and disappointed.

I am not sure why I should bother to defend my post but here is a copy of Lawrence's email to me.

"Hello XXX,

No problem taking you on a guided tour of the island. Tour plus beach is an all day tour. Tour without the beach last just over three hours.

We will be visiting historical sites like English Harbour, Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights, in fact the entire national park. There will be a $8.00US each entrance fee to enter the national park, that will take care of all the sites we will be visiting within the national park."

I am simply disappointed in seeing you post it more than once. With your number of postings (!) if you've traveled that much you should know that everyone is not perfect (including you in that situation). No need to advertise that for someone you approached for one moment asking for a competitor. Get over it already.

And please drop that comment when you re-post that post the next several times - Lawrence is a stand-up guy.

Thanks!

We will be there in December. Are either of these tours handicapped accessible? We need a chair lift.

While DW has MS and brought along a wheelchair, the van we had with Voyages did not have a lift. I obviously can't speak for Lawrence but if not you may have to rely on a ship's excursion.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from our cruise a little over a week ago and we used Lawrence. He was excellent. He has a cooler with pop, water and local beer so you have no worries about going thirsty:D I've done a lot of private tours in my time and we were all very impressed (for what that is worth). When he confirmed we didn't want a lot of beach time, he added something I had wanted to the itinerary that he had told me in my email that we wouldn't have time for (probably figured we would cave and want more time at the beach) at no extra charge!

He timed everything beautifully so that we missed all the crowds, got the guides in time and then moved on. It was a beautiful tour and one I am happy to recommend. Everyone was very impressed:)

We toured with Lawrence back in February and his tour was very accomodating. In fact, we had told him we weren't interested in the beach stop and we would leave the tour at the Dockyard. We had planned to get a cab to a restaurant where I had made arrangements to celebrate my DH's birthday. Lawrence arranged for a driver to bring us over to the restaurant and back to the ship for no additional charge. Of course we tipped the driver as it was a wonderful gesture. We will certainly use Lawrence again when we're back in Antigua next January. His tour was excellent and he was so flexible.