Lawrence of Antigua

ranchette

Lawrence of Antigua is the best island tour I have been on. Awesome.

Our driver was Christopher and we followed Lawrence, who was driving the bigger bus, most of the time. They took us everywhere I wanted to go. Devil's Bridge was spectacular! Got two picture of Lawrence and Christopher. Christopher even stopped at the entrance to the rainforest and got us bananas at pineapple. Mmmmmm That pineapple was so sweet.

I very highly recommend using Lawrence and I will certainly do this tour again if I go back.

We just got back from a caribbean cruise (our 4th) and had the great pleasure of touring Antigua with Lawrence of Antigua. I can echo every positive statement made about his tour, the cleanliness of his van, his knowledge of the island, his flexibility in letting us add some additional points of interest and photo ops. He stopped for 1/2 hour at Devil's Bridge alone. Fantastic! Lots of stops, plenty of refreshments (he even stopped at a road side stand for some fresh Antiguan pineapple which he paid for). He was completely professional the entire tour. We highly recommend his services and his prices were in line with other similar tours.

His email is lawrenceofantigua@gmail.com . He responds to emails very quickly.

allenee

My partner and I have just returned from a Caribbean cruise and we did the trip in Antigua with Lawrence. He wasn't our guide/driver, but seemed to be at every stop to ensure we were having a good time.

I have severe arthritis and find the buses in the Caribbean not to be very disabled friendly. The step to get into the mini buses are quite often high, which are difficult for me. However, Lawrence did manage to find a step and that made it easier. We enjoyed the tour and would probably choose Lawrence again should we return.

I think you may find it difficult in getting transportation with a hoist. There was a lady on our cruise who had a mobility scooter which wouldn't fit into the mini buses so her and her husband did private taxi tours. I had a folding manual wheelchair with me, but even then at a couple of the islands where we were doing a tour we left it with security at the cruise terminal as the trip didn't involve much walking.

If I were you I would contact Lawrence beforehand and see what he can suggest. It may be worthwhile contacting the Antigua Tourist Board and putting your question on Tripadvisor.

allenee

I had a folding manual wheelchair with me, but even then at a couple of the islands where we were doing a tour we left it with security at the cruise terminal as the trip didn't involve much walking.

My wife has a folding wheelchair which she needs for even short distances although she can get into a tour bus. If you had wanted to, could you have taken the wheelchair on the tour with Lawrence.

• 1 month later...
I am simply disappointed in seeing you post it more than once. With your number of postings (!) if you've traveled that much you should know that everyone is not perfect (including you in that situation). No need to advertise that for someone you approached for one moment asking for a competitor. Get over it already.

And please drop that comment when you re-post that post the next several times - Lawrence is a stand-up guy.

Thanks!

Actually I found Putterdude's comments helpful. I was just "stood up" by a tour on my last cruise and was able to scramble and get another great tour.

People want to know these things...I personally hate when people on these boards "shill" for tour guides...

I don't care how nice they are or what lovely family people blah blah...if they stood someone up or were sneaky or whatever I want to know.

I appreciate hearing that this guy did not tell a cruiser where their tour was, pretending not to know. I am not working for these tour guides, I am paying them and I want to know what I am paying for.

There are a couple I would never use based on things I have read. I also personally feel that once a guide gets too popular on CC and tripadvisor they farm out their tours to their friends and relatives and you might get a bummer tour from them....JMO of course, which we are all entitled to.

Esty, that's my point - I would hate to have someone looking for an excellent tour guide miss out on the services of a kind and talented tour guide based on that kind of post. If I had never met Lawrence I would have skipped over that comment as I do all comments of that nature I find on this site. It's not helpful to me as information as I don't know the exact situation although it was obviously very busy when everyone was looking for their parties.

This was a slur toward the man and unfair IMHO. If I had an experiemce that bothered me (as brief as this was) I would have addressed it to Lawrence first to get his response before questioning his character, but that's me. And yes, some folks do base their decisions on Everything they read here, unfortunately.

• 1 month later...
Just by the by, the first tour guide we encountered when got off the the ship was Lawrence and when we asked where we might find Voyages he pretended that he had no idea who they were.......really.:mad:

Really - you are angry and critical of Lawrence because he did not know who YOUR tour guides were and where you were suposed to find them? Lawrence some how "failed" by not having memorized the names and locations of EVERY other guide on the island??? How on earth do you know he was "pretending"? FYI there are plenty of tour guides on Antigua and I truly doubt that they all know each other and keep tabs of each others pickup locations for your convenience.

i prefer Gordon went with him 2 years ago with 2 ships in port i thought he would have more people but it was just the 6 of us with Gordon. He drove us around, avoided the rain so we could go to the beach later in the day. He stopped and got us local food, bun butter and cheese was great! It was a great time we went to devils bridge and to other parts of island, Naval shipyard. I would use him again next time i get to Antigua. Hope this helps.

We've gotten prices for both. Do you have a preference for a tour? If so, why? We're not sure which way to go.

We have not toured with Lawrence, but we have toured with Gordon. We had a great day with Gordon and I would highly recommend him. In deciding on whom to choose when we toured there in 2009, we also got prices for both Gordon and Lawrence. I don't remember what the difference was in price, but we ended up choosing Gordon because his price included drinks and snacks, whereas Lawrence's price only included drinks.

To read my review with photos of our day with Gordon, click on the link below and read posts #138-#143

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...1038334&page=7

I have also put together a YouTube video of our day with Gordon. You can view that here:

Both Lawrence and Gordon are highly recommended on CC and I am sure you will have a good time with either of them.

Good Luck in making your decision!

Edited by dz63

• 2 weeks later...

Others recommended to me Lawrence and Voyages Tours, and have checked into both of them. With Lawrence, I especially liked that there is no deposit up front, just cash when tour is completed. I was prepared to book with him for November. price for his full day tour, which includes sightseeing and beach, is $50.

Please supply email or web site for "Gordon" if you have it so I can check it out.

Thanks!

Edited by Lovefuninthesun

Others recommended to me Lawrence and Voyages Tours, and have checked into both of them. With Lawrence, I especially liked that there is no deposit up front, just cash when tour is completed. I was prepared to book with him for November. price for his full day tour, which includes sightseeing and beach, is $50.

Please supply email or web site for "Gordon" if you have it so I can check it out.

Thanks!

Like Lawrence, Gordon no longer requires a deposit up front, only cash once the tour is completed. The tour we booked with Gordon was called Best of Paradise Island Tour. I just checked his website and noticed that the cost for this tour is now $50.00. There is an additional $8.00 entrance fee to get into the Dockyard National Park. Gordon's tour price includes sightseeing, beach, snacks and bottled water (it looks like he no longer provides soft drinks).

Here is the link to his website:

http://www.tourguidegordon.com/