Lawrence of Antigua

ranchette

No he did not acknowledge my cancellation even after I sent him the copy of the email showing it. He certainly did not listen to me telling him so at the dock and it was uncomfortable having him follow us around arguing even after we decided to vacate the situation. Why he did not know of my cancellation I'll probably never know.

As for missing a fare well he did miss us, our party of 4.

I know its a business and hope he got other fares that day.

I meant did he acknowledge your original cancellation. There was a misstep there and it is too bad that happened, I'm sure you felt bad when you learned he didn't receive your cancellation. That's why I would go to the trouble of following up (by phone if necessary) to ensure the message got through since it is my responsibility. It is a business and he works primarily with pre-bookings. Just that Lawrence is a great guy and your post isn't really fair to him. He doesn't ask for a deposit and we should be respectful and verify cancellations are acknowledged.

E-mail is notoriously hit or miss in the Carib.

Edited by blue_water

I could not disagree more inre to this being a fair post. This is reality. It happened and it shows another side to him and hopefully an atypical one. However its true and its fair.

Why should I have had to call him when all the other emails inre to fares, trips etc. about 2-3 of them were answered. In any case its no excuse to act belligerently.

I agree with the below. Internet is kind of "iffy" in the Caribbean. It's more than likely, Lawrence may not have received your email and was shocked when you were cancelling in person the day of the tour.

I don't visit this board often -- but many are always quick to slam and say bad things about some of the workers without giving them the benefit of the doubt. It's a real turn off.

When I booked my tour with Lawrence, I was in communication with him a couple of times with questions via email. My last email that I sent to CONFIRM to him we were going for sure -- did not make it to him. After a few days, I received another email from Lawrence asking if I made a decision yet and then we confirmed. I don't think Lawrence was being unorganized -- I think internet in the Caribbean can be spotty.

We did our tour with Lawrence and he is a very kind and nice man, extremely organized and we really enjoyed our excursion.

I meant did he acknowledge your original cancellation. There was a misstep there and it is too bad that happened, I'm sure you felt bad when you learned he didn't receive your cancellation. That's why I would go to the trouble of following up (by phone if necessary) to ensure the message got through since it is my responsibility. It is a business and he works primarily with pre-bookings. Just that Lawrence is a great guy and your post isn't really fair to him. He doesn't ask for a deposit and we should be respectful and verify cancellations are acknowledged.

E-mail is notoriously hit or miss in the Carib.

I agree with the below. Internet is kind of "iffy" in the Caribbean. It's more than likely, Lawrence may not have received your email and was shocked when you were cancelling in person the day of the tour.

I don't visit this board often -- but many are always quick to slam and say bad things about some of the workers without giving them the benefit of the doubt. It's a real turn off.

When I booked my tour with Lawrence, I was in communication with him a couple of times with questions via email. My last email that I sent to CONFIRM to him we were going for sure -- did not make it to him. After a few days, I received another email from Lawrence asking if I made a decision yet and then we confirmed. I don't think Lawrence was being unorganized -- I think internet in the Caribbean can be spotty.

We did our tour with Lawrence and he is a very kind and nice man, extremely organized and we really enjoyed our excursion.

Perhaps so. I too was shocked by his reactive tone but I did say that it was probably atypical based on his other reviews which I was unaware of at the time. However this was the impression he gave us and it was a whopper. None the less its over and time to move on. I don't doubt he gives good service but at the time this is the side he showed me, our friends and my family. We all felt the same. He shouted, followed us even though I explained to him that I had cancelled and refused to consider anything I said. How would you feel if this was you? We have a side to this as well. Am i supposed to think he's a gentleman when he acts this way? I'll put it off to a bad day and again i am glad your tour went well.

Edited by jacketwatch

• 4 weeks later...

It all depends on you! Just e-mail him with questions and what, if anything, you want to do in particular and he'll tailor a tour around you. That's the beauty of this option, it's a PRIVATE TOUR and everything is your call. :)

We opted for a beach stop with lunch and he recommended Pigeon Beach and we all loved it. Had a great jerk chicken and burgers at the beach bar there.

You will be very happy with Lawrence!

We stopped at Shirley Heights and Nelson's Dockyard. We also made a stop for 40 minutes at this area for shopping (which we wanted to do) and there was a little cafe on the water where you could get hot dogs and sandwiches, so we ate there.

Lawrence will go where ever you want him to. We had a group of 12 of us.

About how long does his Island Tour last?

Does he stop somewhere so you can get lunch?

Thanks,

Tim:cool:

• 2 months later...

I just booked our group of friends with Lawrence for next year. He was prompt in reply and told us we could choose our beach for an optional beach stop. Some of us will probably be going to the beach while others will return to the ship, so I appreciated his flexibility with that.

for those going to the beach, what beach should we ask to go to where we van get a burger and drinks, too? A place where we can snorkel would be ideal.

Hi Ginny,

We stopped at Pigeon Beach because the jerk chicken and burgers at the beach shack there are so good. But we were just looking for a nice beach and not snorkeling.

Our other favorite excursion there is the Excellence cat (see Antigua by sea) which stops for a snorkel with the turtles at Green Island. But you will really enjoy your day with Lawrence, he is very professional and accommodating as you said.

Have a great day on beautiful Antigua!

Hi Ginny,

We stopped at Pigeon Beach because the jerk chicken and burgers at the beach shack there are so good. But we were just looking for a nice beach and not snorkeling.

Our other favorite excursion there is the Excellence cat (see Antigua by sea) which stops for a snorkel with the turtles at Green Island. But you will really enjoy your day with Lawrence, he is very professional and accommodating as you said.

Have a great day on beautiful Antigua!

Thank you for the input. We will keep Pigeon Beach in mind.:)

• 1 year later...
You are certainly entitled to you opinion but when a direct question is asked of a tour operator on a small island and he feigns ignorance about where his competitor is located....what does that tell you about the invidual....or perhaps better stated it tells me something and I was both surprised and disappointed.

I am not sure why I should bother to defend my post but here is a copy of Lawrence's email to me.

"Hello XXX,

No problem taking you on a guided tour of the island. Tour plus beach is an all day tour. Tour without the beach last just over three hours.

We will be visiting historical sites like English Harbour, Nelson's Dockyard, Shirley Heights, in fact the entire national park. There will be a $8.00US each entrance fee to enter the national park, that will take care of all the sites we will be visiting within the national park."

We are traveling to Antiqua in 3 weeks and still debating on Voyages and Lawrence, can't seem to find recent reviews on voyages. Was the transporation comfortable and safe? Large enough for 8 adults? Do you pay before the tour or after? Did you eat at Cooper and Lumber and if so was it good

• 6 months later...

I am a bit perturbed by Lawrence's behavior - and am a bit concerned as well LOL.

I have been in touch with him - along with other independents - to arrange a tour for my group this November. I have toured with Lawrence before and was very happy with his services.

I emailed him to make some inquiries in regard to his tour/cost/beach etc....he did email me back with his response BUT also indicated he has made a 'reservation' for us. I emailed him back saying thanks but we are not yet decided on what we are doing in Antigua and just getting information and have no final number or confirmation to provide.

He responded again - saying no worries - that I can provide him with a final count later - and he has still CONFIRMED spots for me on his Island tour? Given what I am reading here on this thread I am finding him to be somewhat pushy and presumptuous?

In fact looks like my group is leaning towards using another tour company so I will be emailing Lawrence back and letting him know to please RELEASE my spots and that we will not be using his services. Yes I will ask for a confirmation email back - but now wondering if that will ever come my way?

Would hate for him to cause any trouble at the port when (as mentioned by another cruiser) some other tour guide is holding a sign with my name on it? Will bring a print out of my cancellation email just in case? LOL....

I am a bit perturbed by Lawrence's behavior - and am a bit concerned as well LOL.

I have been in touch with him - along with other independents - to arrange a tour for my group this November. I have toured with Lawrence before and was very happy with his services.

I emailed him to make some inquiries in regard to his tour/cost/beach etc....he did email me back with his response BUT also indicated he has made a 'reservation' for us. I emailed him back saying thanks but we are not yet decided on what we are doing in Antigua and just getting information and have no final number or confirmation to provide.

He responded again - saying no worries - that I can provide him with a final count later - and he has still CONFIRMED spots for me on his Island tour? Given what I am reading here on this thread I am finding him to be somewhat pushy and presumptuous?

In fact looks like my group is leaning towards using another tour company so I will be emailing Lawrence back and letting him know to please RELEASE my spots and that we will not be using his services. Yes I will ask for a confirmation email back - but now wondering if that will ever come my way?

Would hate for him to cause any trouble at the port when (as mentioned by another cruiser) some other tour guide is holding a sign with my name on it? Will bring a print out of my cancellation email just in case? LOL....

Interesting! I emailed Lawrence and he sent me the information back and told me to email him again if we were interested, which I did.

However, I did get a couple of emails from other tour people I emailed for information telling me that they'd reserved my spot. Guess they just want to be proactive? LOL! Oh well.

Froufie, who did you end up going with in Antigua?

LOL!

What you describe as somewhat pushy and presumptuous I attribute to the competitive tour business on Antigua. As mentioned all of the guides want your business and sometimes they may seem a bit overzealous because of the competitiveness of the industry.

We (2 couples) loved our day with Lawrence, a nice, private tour with a very knowlegable and patient guide and a real gentleman. I would disregard any negative posts about Lawrence, at least those that are second hand or questionable. I found many posts quite funny because they had no relevance to the persons abilities or character, or they were from second hand "knowledge". :rolleyes:

Fanofcruising& colts Lawrence has different vehicles, we were 2 couples and enjoyed touring in a new, nicely-outfitted coach and he supplied cold water, beer, and snacks. We chose to stop at Pigeon Beach for lunch which we paid for. Excellent day! :)

LOL - have used Lawrence before -many years ago - was very satisfied.

At this time the 'group' seems to have decided on another tour operator (scenic tours antigua) so once all votes are in I will be making contact as required - and letting Lawrence know to 'release' our spots - and I do hope he writes me back so I have confirmation of that?

We are travelling in November so no 'details' until then? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well looks like my 'group' does not want to do the Lawrence of Antigua tour so I have contacted him to let him know and to 'release' our spots and I am happy to report that he responded immediately confirming the cancellation and wishing us a nice visit to Antigua!

So no problems there and I am quite relieved....and very much looking forward to my upcoming cruise :D:D

Well looks like my 'group' does not want to do the Lawrence of Antigua tour so I have contacted him to let him know and to 'release' our spots and I am happy to report that he responded immediately confirming the cancellation and wishing us a nice visit to Antigua!

So no problems there and I am quite relieved....and very much looking forward to my upcoming cruise :D:D

Sorry you had to feel stressed over that as Lawrence is a very nice gentleman. He doesn't like being left hanging which happens all too often I'm sure. And some folks freak if they don't get a response immediately :p

But do enjoy your cruise! :)

• 2 months later...