Breaking news: Costa Concordia in deep problems!

Topo Gigio

Forgive me if this has already been mentioned (I missed a page or two) but this ship, The Concordia, is a sister ship to the Splendor. If any of you have sailed with the Splendor, you will have a better idea as to the size and configuration of the ship. This is a very sad day, indeed, for all those whose lives were lost and for those who survived but experienced such a close call.

How terrible and terrifying for all of them. My Prayers go out to all for a safe rescue, and sympathy to the families of those who died.

Big wake up call for all of us who cruise isn't it?

We should all be making sure we locate our lifejackets in our cabin, of course paying attention to the drill, know the quickest way from your cabin to the stairs and doors, and have a plan for all family members. All these things only take a few minutes out of our cruise. May we never have to implement them!

Sad day for cruising.:(

First my prayers are for everyone involved. But I have a concern about the comments that were made that "passengers are not told to put their lifevests on any more during the drills". I mostly cruise with Princess and we are ALWAYS told to put our vests on during the drill. I always take it seriously and I always try on my vest. This way you know for sure if any of the parts on the vest are broken so they can be replaced or fixed. Kathy

First my prayers are for everyone involved. But I have a concern about the comments that were made that "passengers are not told to put their lifevests on any more during the drills". I mostly cruise with Princess and we are ALWAYS told to put our vests on during the drill. I always take it seriously and I always try on my vest. This way you know for sure if any of the parts on the vest are broken so they can be replaced or fixed. Kathy

Carnival and RCI do not require life vests at the muster drill. Princess' drill still does.

My DH and I are sailing on the Splendor tomorrow. Should we be worried? How extensively was the Splendor fixed after the fire last year? :-/

Let's just say driving or flying to the port is multiple times more dangerous than getting on ANY cruise ship!

Go and have fun!!!

My DH and I are sailing on the Splendor tomorrow. Should we be worried? How extensively was the Splendor fixed after the fire last year? :-/

Please go and enjoy your cruise. The odds of anything happening are astronomical - probably similar to being hit by a meteor. You can bet that the Splendor's systems were looked at very very closely before she was certified to sail again. Whatever issue they had in November has certainly been rectified. Coast Guard would not allow her to sail again otherwise.

Absolutely horrible! Being an avid boater ( in fact preparing to go offshore in a bit) , some of my family thinks Im crazy about always booking a cabin up high.. would hate to be down low and the hull breaching and making my way up!

Also regarding life safety/ muster drills/ life preservers , so we all know they are very important. The preserver is the last ditch attempt to stay alive . A healthy person in tip top shape could not stay alive for very long floating in waters say about 65 degrees, let alone a person up in age and out of shape.

Absolutely horrible.

Never thought I'd see a Carnival looking ship without a whale tail look like that. I'm sick to my stomach.

Been scouring the news channels all night and only found a small story on BBC.

Words can even express my feeling for those lost.

A sad day indeed.

Been scouring the news channels all night and only found a small story on BBC.

A sad day indeed.

An update....... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16558910

Some say as many as 30+ dead, I fear most will be crew who were sleeping or living below deck where the hull was breached. They would have drowned instantly with no escape.:(

And I ask, how many laugh at and think the life-boat drills are "stupid."
the lifeboats, sadly, were of little help, due to the listing of this vessel - I listened to one video of a crew member speaking of the panic and inability to utilize the lifeboats; eventually, they jumped into the sea (fortunately, not so far from a shore).

An update....... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16558910

Some say as many as 30+ dead, I fear most will be crew who were sleeping or living below deck where the hull was breached. They would have drowned instantly with no escape.:(

i was just reading that muster is normally not done till the next morning on this run.

getting this amount of people off a ship that size must have been a superhuman feat, especially if half the life boats were unusable, as speculated and reported.

even the bbc has sketchy reports.

165 foot long gash?

I expect the toll will rise. I also expect everyone will take muster drill far more seriously. I will confess that while I of course paid attention, I considered it an annoying part of the first day, happy to get it over with. Although both my cruises this year are with Princess, who require life jacket try-on at muster drill, well, I intend to familiarize myself with the life jacket on any line.

i was just reading that muster is normally not done till the next morning on this run.

getting this amount of people off a ship that size must have been a superhuman feat, especially if half the life boats were unusable, as speculated and reported.

even the bbc has sketchy reports.

165 foot long gash?

This particular cruise lets people embark from several of the ports. Per the BBC and Costa board many of them boarded at the ship's next port and were actually on their last night. They were going to do the muster drill after the next large group of people boarded.

As far as the gash - I am really curious how that happens in the middle of the hull. Why no damage to the forward part of the hull or the stabilizer which is still extended? One would think that if it was that close to a reef, the stabilizer would have been sheared off before it hit the rest of the hull.

the lifeboats' date=' sadly, were of little help, due to the listing of this vessel - I listened to one video of a crew member speaking of the panic and inability to utilize the lifeboats; eventually, they jumped into the sea (fortunately, not so far from a shore).[/quote']

This is incorrect. They were able to lower all the PORT side lifeboats before she listed (you can see this in video coverage from the helicopter) and she was able to lower all the STARBOARD side lifeboats before they reached the water. However, it IS true that there was much panic among the passengers and many jumped in the water as they could see the island was only a short swim away. Unfortunately the water was icy cold and a couple died from hypothermya and heart attack.

There will be MANY MORE casualties discovered once the divers go in and search passenger and crew cabins that are currently below water.:( This story is FAR from over so please don't make snap judgements when you were not there. Please try to actually STICK TO THE FACTS!:D

Archived