Breaking news: Costa Concordia in deep problems!

Topo Gigio

I don't think there was a fire however one report I read said the ship was actually further out way offshore when it hit something. The captain turned the ship toward land knowing the closer it was to land more lives would be saved. Even if he was at fault for the incident, he surely saved some lives by getting closer to land.

The latest reports have the Capt announcing they had a "Technical" problem, not electrical.

That seems like something logical for the Capt to say at that time.

This is so sad, and the more you hear the worse it gets. With all the onboard technology and state of the art equipment, how can something like this happen? Unimaginable. I'll bet all of the cruiselines will now, once again, require the full lifeboat drills, including wearing the jackets. Mandatory attendance, and roll calls will also be in full force once more. But in spite of all this precaution, in a real live emergency, we all know full panic would reign. Human nature just can't help it.

A massive rescue is underway after Costa Concordia (sister ship to C. Splendor) have run aground off the coast of Italy.

I woke up to this on news and a dancer being interviewed...prayers..and wow, as we all shrug off potential problems.... the dreaded emergency runs....relatives with copies of our papers, real disaster learning....all we need..whew.....again prayers and gratitude it was not a worse lesson...Sarah

PS Knew a woman who crossed the Columbia Bar with her fishing dad numerous times, actually was honered to sit with her passing..and she said "I will make this because we always made that,"..the museum in Astoria is great for understanding danger in these treacheous sand bars...know nothing about changes in Med but there must be many..I crossed the Columbia Bar coming from Vancouver BC to Portland. OR on old Westerdam and thought it no small feat..this ship twice it's size...wow..failure with tech or what ever..sand bars are tough i would guess..but know nothing technically...Sarah

Oh No !! Is this going to turn out to somehow be his fault, and preventable?

Not necessarily, I think this is normal proceedure in Italy when there is an accidental death.

Shocking news, I hope the unaccounted for passengers are safe somewhere.

It is his fault, regardless of what happened, he is the Captain.

All part and parcel with "burden of command".

How would it be his fault regardless??.. if in fact the object that was hit was not on the navigational maps/charts that they use when power goes out for instance???

How would it be his fault regardless??.. if in fact the object that was hit was not on the navigational maps/charts that they use when power goes out for instance???

Doesn't matter as far as I have heard. Capt of the Valdeze was not even on the bridge but it was still considered his fault.

So sad!

My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone on this ship.

The one thing I feel has never been properly addressed at the muster drill is, in a real emergency do you actually go back to your cabin for your lifejacket then try and get back to the lifeboats? I can't imagine 3000 people doing this in any kind of orderly manner. Shouldn't the jackets be kept by the lifeboats?

I agree! They do keep some life jackets near the life boats, but not enough for 4,000 people. I would be afraid to go back to my cabin to get my life jacket because I would be more afraid of getting caught down in my cabin than in being on the top of the ship without one.

The captain did not even put out a mayday call as he was supposed to do.

Not correct. He did not immediately put out a may day call. One was put out later when the situation became apparent that one was needed.

In other words, he didn't panic, assessed all pertinent information and then made a decision and acted.

Regardless, I have seen no evidence at this point that the Captains actions or inactions, post incident, resulted in injury or death.

SKY news stated that the captain and one other have been arrested they will also be interviewed by the maritime office. they also said that this was normal procedure in Italy.

70 people are still missing.

Thanks for update..while it could have been way worse in lives lost it is still terrible...continued prayers for all and that more will be learned for better avoidance of all this in future...sarah

Oh No !! Is this going to turn out to somehow be his fault, and preventable?

Not sure about the collision being preventable but reports are that the Captain left the ship BEFORE all passengers had been evacuated. That's reason enough for scrutiny.

Why does a ship with a gash in her port side list to starboard?

I read this earlier today.. dont ask me where I have been reading so much.. but it said that because of the listing to the port because of the hit.. the Captain started filling the ballast tanks on the starboard to help with the list.. my thoughts.. only my thoughts are that they didn't realize the amount of water coming in on the port side and over compensated that caused the severe list and overturn to the starboard side...

Doesn't matter as far as I have heard. Capt of the Valdeze was not even on the bridge but it was still considered his fault.

So sad!

They hit something that was on a navigational chart.. not something that wasnt.. I said if it wasn't on a chart the Captain can not be at fault as there was no way of knowing.. if there was no electrical navigational systems on board to show the object??

There will be MANY MORE casualties discovered once the divers go in and search passenger and crew cabins that are currently below water.:( This story is FAR from over so please don't make snap judgements when you were not there. Please try to actually STICK TO THE FACTS!:D

Sorry...you won't find too many facts either here on Cruise Critic or the major news outlets!:eek:

They hit something that was on a navigational chart.. not something that wasnt.. I said if it wasn't on a chart the Captain can not be at fault as there was no way of knowing.. if there was no electrical navigational systems on board to show the object??

Sorry Kelly it just doesn't work that way. Right or wrong the Captain is ultimately responsible, that's why they get paid the big bucks.

Why does a ship with a gash in her port side list to starboard?

I'd say inertia has a lot to do with this one, the ship was headed towards land and the bottom obviously hits first so it tips into the direction it was headed.

Archived