Rooms for 6 people?

jenn-

Some of the larger suites will accomodate more than 5.....but it's almost always less expensive to book 2 rooms...connecting cabins are available, if you book early enough...those cabins go quickly! That way, you get 2 bathrooms, and the kids (if that's what your group has!!!) get their own space, and you get a bit of privacy, yet you are right there...closer than you would be at home to the kid's bedroom! Coonsidering that ships cabins are no where NEAR as large as most hotel rooms, I'd go the 2 cabin route!

The only rooms I know of would be family suites. I agree that connecting rooms is the way to go. I can't think that I would want 6 people in one room. We cruise with 2 adults and 2 small kids, and that is plenty to fill up a room. As they get older, we will have to do connecting rooms.

Nancy

Royal Caribbean has family OV rooms that hold six very comfortably. We had one on the Navigator last year when we took 7 grandkids on a cruise. It had two twin (or one queen) beds, a large sofa sleeper and bunks in a small alcove.

It was also quite large, but only one bathroom. The kids loved the bunkroom--sometimes all four girls slept in the two bunks!

Of course, there are also suites on various lines, especially NCL, that hold six, but they are very pricey.

I agree with the previous poster about the family OV's on Royal Caribbean. I much prefer them to connecting cabins. On the larger ships, they have family cabins with balconies, also interior family cabins and promenade family cabins. We've got a family cabin with a balcony for a cruise next year on Allure. I'm so excited!

I was just pricing out family oceanviews on the Mariner today! So, yes, there are staterooms for 6. You'll just have to call whichever cruiseline you want to inquire about them, since you can't seem to access those rates online. I thought the rate I was quotes was excellent, til the rep realized he told me the price for 4 people instead of 5. LOL

Dear Jenn - I've never sailed RCL so I didn't know about the cabins for 6. Six people and one bathroom sounds tight to me, but hey, I'd do it if that was the way to get to cruise.

Nancy

The one bathroom sure isn't ideal--we had four girls and sometimes one boy and me (grandma) and we made it work.

The oldest girls were 11, though, and not into (or allowed to be into) make-up and hair fussing though, so it was just into and out of the shower as fast as I could hurry them along.

The room itself was great though, and the price was very reasonable.

• 1 month later...

NCL Family Suites (SJ) also hold up to 6. They have a queen bed (or two twins), a pull-out sofa and a Murphy bed. They are about 400 sq. ft. The ones without a balcony are actually quite reasonable - if the add'l passenger rate is pretty low. For example, on our cruise it was $209, I believe, for additional passengers after the first 2. Just check because some of the rooms only hold 4 (no murphy bed).

The NCL Family Suites hold 6 and these are available on the NCL Star and NCL Dawn, cat SJ. The NCL Dawn also has the Family Suite with Balcony that holds 6. I think it is a cat. SD.

The more pricy suites SC will also hold 6. These are on most NCL ships. The Haven family suites also hold 6. The Epic and the new NCL Breakaway will also have suites for families of 6.

Finally, you can book a Garden Villa on the NCL ships. These have 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, your own deck, hot tub, elevator, and comes with a nice price-tag too!

We are a family of 6 and just booked two connecting rooms on Liberty of the Seas for this summer. They also had family rooms which would sleep six. Those appeared to have about the same square footage as two connecting room, but only one bathroom. These were a little less expensive than the 2 connecting rooms, but the one bathroom worried me. We took a cruise two years ago over spring break and did the two connecting rooms and it worked out very well.

The Royal Family Suite on RCI has 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, and a living room plus balcony. I have no idea what it costs (never used one), but I would guess it would be pricier than doing two connecting rooms.

We are a family of 6. Here is another idea other than connecting rooms. Get rooms right across the hall from each other!

We currently have a balcony room booked with an inside room right across the hall. Then our friend's family of four is two doors down in the inside quad room (they wanted inside). I really wanted a balcony room but two balcony rooms connecting is more expensive than 1 balcony and 1 inside room.

Originally I wanted a balcony quad for me, hubby, and the two little kids (and an inside double for the older boys) but the quad balcony were book. So our TA found a double balcony room with a quad inside directly across the hall. This works out well for us and is cheaper than my original plan. My daugher and I will get the balcony (the girls room), and the boys (DH, 10 year old son, 18 year old son and almost 20 year old) get the inside quad. :p

Archived