Celebrity Millenium vs. Princess Alaska

nodan

Trying to decide between Celebrity and Princess for our 7 day Alaska cruise.

Ships/cruises seem so similar.

Princess goes to Glacier Bay National Park while Celebrity does the Inside Passage.

Princess is a bit more $ but is the Glacier bay National Park worth the extra $.

Your input please.

We live in Alaska, and fly to every cruise we take. So our decisions on what lines to cruise are not based on the convenience of driving to the port.

With that in mind, we have done two Alaskan cruises on Celebrity. We were on the Millennium in 2009 and the Infinity last summer. We have been very pleased with the Celebrity Alaskan product. Celebrity on-board naturalists are excellent, and there are no attempts to sell discount coupon books the first day of the cruise (On the first day of a family reunion cruise on Princess a friend was repeated approached by more than one Princess staff member who were trying to sell coupon books.). The Celebrity cruises generally include Hubbard Glacier, which is one of the most fascinating glaciers in Alaska since it is actually advancing. We are non-smokers and so find the Celebrity smoking policy a big plus, although Princess has modified their smoking policy.

I read and post on the Alaska board, and find it interesting that a number of posters insist that only one or two lines are suitable for an Alaska cruise. An Alaskan cruise will only provide a small sample of a very large state. So just remember that in one cruise you will not see it all.

Princess goes to Glacier Bay National Park while Celebrity does the Inside Passage.

Princess is a bit more $ but is the Glacier bay National Park worth the extra $.

Your input please.

both lines in Alaska..and have enjoyed both...but I would book Princess as I think you would really enjoy Glacier Bay over the Passage. Have fun!! LuAnn

Your input please.

ALL cruise ships that do cruises to Alaska cruise the Inside Passage. ALL of them. The Inside Passage stretches from Puget Sound to Skagway and Glacier Bay and encompasses tens of thousand of coastline miles in the US and Canada.

With that said, pick the ship whose ports of call suit your desires. Glacier Bay, College Fjord, Hubbard Glacier, and Tracy Arm are the biggest differences in most ship itineraries. Some visit these scenic sights, some don't. Again, pick the one most important to your adventure.

Another aspect to consider is the amount of time you are spending in each port. A half day visit to Juneau may not be enough, and an all day visit in Ketchikan may be too much. Balance the port time with what Shore Excursions you expect to do. And don't skimp on these either, as they are the single biggest experiences you will take away from your Alaska cruise.

I've done five cruises to Alaska; two on Princess, one each on HAL, Celebrity, and Cruise West. Find a ship you are comfortable with. I enjoyed each cruise for different reasons, all we're great in their own right, but Alaska was the dominant reason for the cruise, not the ship.

I've also always favored cruises that were roundtrip Vancouver, or a N/B or S/B cruise that began or ended in Vancouver. The route east of the large Vancouver Island is more scenic, and ships that leave from Seattle typically go to the west of Vancouver Island into open ocean to get to Alaska. The Seattle cruises also often spend a half day (late) in Victoria (6pm-?) and this is right over dinner and a wasted stop. Victoria is best seen during the day to enjoy the grand sights and Butchart Gardens.

And don't be stuck on thinking you HAVE to have a balcony. I've had suites, inside cabins, and ocean view cabins. Pick a price you are comfortable with an splurge on shore excursions. Spend lots of time topside where the views are 360 degrees and free of charge.

Most of all expect to have a great time and expect the weather to be just as unpredictble with rain, sunshine, fog, mist, cold temps in the glacier areas, and 70 degrees in town.

Have a great cruise!

ALL cruise ships that do cruises to Alaska cruise the Inside Passage. ALL of them. The Inside Passage stretches from Puget Sound to Skagway and Glacier Bay and encompasses tens of thousand of coastline miles in the US and Canada.

With that said, pick the ship whose ports of call suit your desires. Glacier Bay, College Fjord, Hubbard Glacier, and Tracy Arm are the biggest differences in most ship itineraries. Some visit these scenic sights, some don't. Again, pick the one most important to your adventure.

Another aspect to consider is the amount of time you are spending in each port. A half day visit to Juneau may not be enough, and an all day visit in Ketchikan may be too much. Balance the port time with what Shore Excursions you expect to do. And don't skimp on these either, as they are the single biggest experiences you will take away from your Alaska cruise.

I've done five cruises to Alaska; two on Princess, one each on HAL, Celebrity, and Cruise West. Find a ship you are comfortable with. I enjoyed each cruise for different reasons, all we're great in their own right, but Alaska was the dominant reason for the cruise, not the ship.

I've also always favored cruises that were roundtrip Vancouver, or a N/B or S/B cruise that began or ended in Vancouver. The route east of the large Vancouver Island is more scenic, and ships that leave from Seattle typically go to the west of Vancouver Island into open ocean to get to Alaska. The Seattle cruises also often spend a half day (late) in Victoria (6pm-?) and this is right over dinner and a wasted stop. Victoria is best seen during the day to enjoy the grand sights and Butchart Gardens.

And don't be stuck on thinking you HAVE to have a balcony. I've had suites, inside cabins, and ocean view cabins. Pick a price you are comfortable with an splurge on shore excursions. Spend lots of time topside where the views are 360 degrees and free of charge.

Most of all expect to have a great time and expect the weather to be just as unpredictble with rain, sunshine, fog, mist, cold temps in the glacier areas, and 70 degrees in town.

Have a great cruise!

This is right on. I generally like Princess, but did the Millennium in 2009 from Vancouver to Seward, followed by a land tour. Make sure your cruise spends cruise time at one of the glacier parks. Celebrity typically goes to Hubbard Glacier which is incredibly beautiful and will give you a good alternative to Glacier Bay. If time permits, go to the Denali. Have a great trip.

Thank you for your reply.

yes, we are doing Denali on our own before the cruise.

My basic question is, in choosing which ship(The Celebrity or the Princess), if both include Hubbard should we choose Princess because it is also includes Glacier Bay National park?

We heard great things about both ships and this seems to be a deciding factor.

Thank you.

I have not been to Glacier Bay as I have only cruised Celebrity in Alaska. I am Elite Captains Club so to me that is a big factor in my choosing Celebrity. If you are not, then I would look at the whole itinerary next. Longer times in port are very important to see as much as possible. Are you saying that is generally equal except Princess does Glacier Bay while Celebrity does Inside Passage? Does Princess do Hubbard Glacier as well? If Princess does Glacier Bay rather than Hubbard then I think it is still a toss-up. If Princess does both, frankly I think one glacier day is enough so I would go back to evaluating on other factors.

I have cruised both Celebrity and Princess to Alaska. Both routes were from Vancouver return and sailed the east side of Vancouver Island of course which tends to be smoother than a route that goes on the west side of Vancouver Island.

Both ships were lovely. I did prefer Hubbard to Glacier Bay due to the amount of calving we saw.....

I would choose Celebrity again over princess for one reason...that being the non smoking policy is better with Celebrity. Both lines had wonderful crew, food, and the ships were terrific as well all around.

Only you can make the choice, but as I said I would pick Hubbard and the non smoking rules with Celebrity over any other line....

What ever choice you make enjoy the cruise and the adventure.... I have been three times now and would go again in a heartbeat!!

Which Princess ship?

My wife and I did an Alaska cruise on Coral Princess in June 2009. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and the day in Glacier Bay was really super. Coral and Island Princess (sister ships) are smaller than the other Princess ships in Alaska - about the same size as the Celebrity M-class ships. Great outside observation areas on upper deck, as well as the front and rear of the ship on the Baja and Caribe decks. We spent many hours every day watching for whales and other wildlife. Fantastic cruise and we lucked out with great warm weather too.

I suggest Millennium for this cruise.

Why? Because Millie has a top forward lounge for a cold day in Alaska. Buffet is at back with an open area towards the ships wake.

Coral Princess uses the back of Lido Deck and that pool area on the back for the Santuary. Most of all, Coral Princess has the buffet top forward. The Santuary and the buffet location is great for a cruise in hot climates because passengers can find plenty of viewing spots all over the outside of the Princess ship.

But, on an Alaska cruise it gets pretty cold; esp., when cruising an ice field. Many passengers will look for an enclosed location rather than stand on promenade or lido deck for the duration of the touring. Remember more hours of sunshine on an Alaska cruise.

We cruised from Vancouver to Seaward a few years ago on a Princess ship.

Unfortunately, there were so many passengers crammed into the buffet area at the front of the ship that there was literally no where to sit with food due to the tables being full of passengers "hogging" or sitting to see the sights.

I'd go with Millie on the Alaska cruise. I'd also prefer an inside passage cruise rather than a one way. You said you're booked for Denali. I guess that means you're taking the one way trip.

Only other suggestion is that you take the White Pass tour from Skagway to the Yukon. It's unforgettable.

Marisela

We did the Millennium Northbound from Vancouver last August. First time with Celebrity and I was impressed. The itinerary was great including our morning at Hubbard. What a spectacular glacier. Also good length of time in each of the other ports. The naturalist on board was very good. The only thing that was a bit surprising with Celebrity and different from Princess, is that Celebrity charges upfront for all excursions booked through them; we only booked the flight plane bear watching with Celebrity but as that was pretty costly, we were out of pocket for months in advance (if you cancel then they apparently reimburse you). Also discovered that Celebrity charges the gratuities ahead of time if you want to book select dining. The buffet on Celebrity was the best buffet we have had on any cruise....so much so that we ended up abandoning the dining room. If you follow the link in my signature and go to my Alaska page, you will see my blog, pictures and itinerary.

We were on the Millie in July, 2 years ago, northbound from Vancouver to Anchorage. This year, we are taking PRINCESS due to the GREAT itinerary that includes both GLACIER BAY AND HUBBARD GLACIER... This is very difficult to find. In all honesty, Princess typically does not have the greatest food (compared to Celebrity), BUT, this itinerary (2 glacier days!) is so rare, that we will sacrifice lesser food to have amazing views. We can have GREAT food back in San Diego, but no glaciers... We will go with the glaciers! The best therapy money can buy!

Come join us on September 1, 2012 on the Sapphire Princess!! :D We have a super friendly roll call going!

Angie in San Diego

We were on the Millie in July, 2 years ago, northbound from Vancouver to Anchorage. This year, we are taking PRINCESS due to the GREAT itinerary that includes both GLACIER BAY AND HUBBARD GLACIER... This is very difficult to find. In all honesty, Princess typically does not have the greatest food (compared to Celebrity), BUT, this itinerary (2 glacier days!) is so rare, that we will sacrifice lesser food to have amazing views. We can have GREAT food back in San Diego, but no glaciers... We will go with the glaciers! The best therapy money can buy!

Come join us on September 1, 2012 on the Sapphire Princess!! :D We have a super friendly roll call going!

Angie in San Diego

I have to second this reply. We did Alaska on the Island Princess last year. It is hard to top Princess in Alaska. Our party of 5 thought that the food was excellent. And they just made cabins and balconies non-smoking, so Celebrity no longer has the edge there (at least not for non-smokers.)

I haven't read all the previous posts. I've been on the Coral Princess twice to Alaska and twice to the Panama Canal. I did the Celebrity Solstice two months ago to the Mediterranean for a 12 day cruise. (Nov. 16 to 28, 2011)

Hands down. Princess! I won't be going on Celebrity again. http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=93102

Archived