Do you think it's worth it to purchase a waterproof camera?

cransplash

I think in the future I'm going to just get one of those 1080p waterproof cameras like the gopro hero2, etc. The movies underwater are almost always more interesting that the photos unless you have pretty series rig and are pretty good. Plus the stills on a HD video are good enough for a wallpaper or internet posts, even normal size prints. Plus you'll never have a moment you missed because you didn't click fast enough. Besides I can get the whole video camera for less than what a waterproof case costs for my camera.

I've used them on many occasions while snorkeling and they turned out pretty well. But conditions were optimal, clear sunny day, water not cloudy or full of sand, etc. I would say they're pretty good up to about 10-15 feet away, no more than that.

i think it is a good investment to capture underwater adventures. I have the Panasonic Lumix TS3 and it is waterproof,shockproof/freezeproof and dustproof so I am no worried about getting it wet or covered in sand. Also not concerned if it gets banged around.It takes the bests underwater video and also on -land pics as it has different scene modes. Also you must get the highest Gb memory card, the one I have in it for vacations is 32 Gb so has lots of memory

I use the Olympus TOUGH. I'm on my second Olympus underwater in about 10 years. They work awesome for both water and out. I've taken some fabulous video, great shots, I can't say enough about it. And the fact that it's shock/drop proof, when it's banging around is awesome. We live in WI and have had it out at ice-skating parties, snowmobining, etc and always works great!! Taking mine tomorrow on our cruise and will use it a lot!

I love doing underwater photography, and sometimes it doesn't matter what you have. It's rather dicey too, as it's hard to stop moving as you're floating so much.

But three years ago, I got the cheapest underwater camera you can get. It was a bog standard manual film camera. I took 60 photos, and a lot of them were bad. But I still got gems like this (particularly the last two which are incredible).

These were in Vanuatu, Mystery Island and Wala.

A002927-R1-03-1A.jpg.2fed0b32fe454f4f26abac09c114144c.jpg

A002927-R1-12-10A.jpg.fe389c4d96440e4d9d05a06bf0fd29ee.jpg

A002927-R2-22-28A.jpg.087a8ee04a7c84de785d9443d8ad4116.jpg

A002927-R2-23-29A.jpg.3530f7c382d0c658986ba36fe3a39e5f.jpg

In April, I picked up an underwater Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4. Only good to 40 ft, but that is where the best photos are, located in the sun-light.

On the first dive I ever took it on, a 40 ft whale shark showed up!

Definitely worth the money!

Wow, that was crazy and really neat to capture that! Thanks for sharing. :)

• 1 month later...
In April, I picked up an underwater Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4. Only good to 40 ft, but that is where the best photos are, located in the sun-light.

On the first dive I ever took it on, a 40 ft whale shark showed up!

Definitely worth the money!

Wow! Lived and snorkeled ALL my 64 yrs. on the coast of Al./Fl. and have seen these sharks from kayaks and a few at a distant, many times, but to just have one show up on demand is outstanding! Always in the water in the carib. and looking for something BIG with any number of different cameras. To all those that are NOT into trying to get that perfect adventure underwater with a camera, then you are missing a thrill of a lifetime. Thanks for sharing, will be at it again soon So. Carib. and then Tahiti soon. Gotta be under the waves!

Archived