Door signs?

LizCatMom

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1532046

Check out that link for the Cruise Critic door sign. I printed one out and kind of adjusted it to personalize my cruise.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v629/_marie_/DSC03896.jpg

It's hard to see but I had "Carnival Victory Jan 1-8, 2012" on the bottom left. Also got rid of comic sans and put it in arial. You could put a picture of the ship on there too if you want to.

There is enough to worry about and organize without added door decorations to the list of things to do.

Oh my goodness!:eek:

Didn't know that I should be worrying. Never have.

Must be something wrong with me.

Why do some people feel the need to come into a thread about door decorations if they don't like them? Are they that miserable that they have to try and bring others down as well? Does it make them feel better about themselves that can say they don't participate in such mundane activities? It must be horrible to have that desire to bring people down inside of you.

I'm not the decorating type, but to those that are I say go for it. I actually like seeing some of ideas people come up with, which is what brought me to this thread.

If the snobs will stay out of the fun threads, I promise I'll stay out of the "I think I'm better than you, and above the pedestrian activities most of you enjoy, and feel I have to rain on your parade as much as possible" threads. Deal?

Edited by Rudyard

Oh my goodness!:eek:

Didn't know that I should be worrying. Never have.

Must be something wrong with me.

Not sure why some people get worked up about door decorations. I figure if you want them go for it. If you don't, then don't.

Here's a simple sign I made for my SIL & BIL for our Alaska cruise. Its hard to see but the little pictures inside the Alaska map are things like a bear, a moose, a fish, a deer, waterfall, iced mountains. I just used graphics from a clip art program on my computer.

(Princess added the Happy Anniversary sign & balloons.)

When we've cruised during NBA playoffs, we've put a Lakers logo on our door, and when we've sailed during college football season, we've put USC logos on our door (which usually end up getting pulled off as the UCLA fans don't like it much! LOL

1684662266_ALASKACRUISETOUR2009withDUBOSE023.jpg.0128e9afb98053fb5b11e1afae957a59.jpg

Edited by MszKitty

I like the idea of something/anything to make my door look different than every other door in my loooooonnnnnngggggg hallway. Last year we celebrated our anniversary onboard and we had balloons for the day. It was so nice to have it stand out, if only for a day.

I may have to tinker with some ideas this weekend. :rolleyes:

PS - thanks for the idea....I love it!

Edited by Sassy's Mom

We have placed a hibiscus flower magnet on our door on each cruise. Its not so much decoration as it is a easy way to locate the room with out reading out room numbers, especially after an evening at the piano bar. ;)

I had thought about doing the same thing. Have you ever had an issue with your magnet "disappearing"?

I had thought about doing the same thing. Have you ever had an issue with your magnet "disappearing"?

I've had issues with whatever I put on my door. Some people are just mean. So don't put anything on there that you would miss if it gets taken.

Thanks to all who contributed thoughtfully! I appreciate your kind input :)

Sorry for the way you have been treated in this thread, your question was reasonable and one would have thought non-controversial. Keeping asking questions!

I guess someone needs to start a dress code thread to take the edge off :rolleyes:.

If anyone is worried about ruining their doors, like we were, here's a tip; use the 3M Command Strips. And at the end of your cruise you can rest assure that you will leave your stateroom door in the condition you found it.

thumbnail.aspx?q=1596277071367&id=da91e80bd9ebfcfe1f2e51f153ae3690

Edited by lady_cruiser

I've never understood the need to do this - maybe it's because I've sailed on Cunard ships where it is just not done. People don't decorate their room doors when they stay in land based hotels. There is enough to worry about and organize without added door decorations to the list of things to do.

I can oinly understand it if you need help to quickly identify which room is yours but I'd just stick a magnet high up that's distinctive I think my husband and I did that last time, I am 5'10" and can reach really high on my tippy toes, when it comes to remembering my room number I'm awful... I literally like need to write it on my hand or somewhere... and I'm only 27 years old!

I have to admit I like admiring other peoples' fancy doors and that also helps me remember where my room is if it's close to a heavily decorated door lol.

Here is how our cabin door decorations turned out. Since we had the cabin that you could see from the elevator hallway, lots and lots of people saw it. And lots and lots of people thanked me for helping them remember which hallway to go down to find their cabin!

Warning ..... if you are a 'door snob' close your eyes!! LOL!

DSCN0120.jpg

I loved how you decorated your door with your pets. I am already planning how we will decorate ours when we go on our cruise in August. I ordered a banner for us and am looking for more things.

I enjoy seeing the unique abilities of everyone in any situation. And this will be fun!

Thanks for sharing!

Why do some people feel the need to come into a thread about door decorations if they don't like them? Are they that miserable that they have to try and bring others down as well? Does it make them feel better about themselves that can say they don't participate in such mundane activities? It must be horrible to have that desire to bring people down inside of you.

I'm not the decorating type, but to those that are I say go for it. I actually like seeing some of ideas people come up with, which is what brought me to this thread.

If the snobs will stay out of the fun threads, I promise I'll stay out of the "I think I'm better than you, and above the pedestrian activities most of you enjoy, and feel I have to rain on your parade as much as possible" threads. Deal?

Rudyard, KirkNC, JDaroundtheworld--Big Ups, guys! What you said.

LizCatMom, on our last family cruise, my sister-in-law made signs and decorations to honor our Mother (and Grandmother). She had originally started planning the cruise, but stopped when she was diagnosed with cancer. She passed six months later. My family decided to continue with her plans as a tribute to her (boy, she LOVED cruising!). Seeing her smiling face on our doors every day made me feel like she was along for the ride.

Ignore Mrs. Rockefeller and all of the "critics" on this thread. Have fun decorating your door, and have a great time on your cruise!

When we first started cruising in the 70's, I don't remember any door signs/decorations. I don't think I started noticing them until the later 90's. I have to say, when I first saw them, I thought they were great and wondered where people got them. I really enjoyed seeing the different doorways and wished I had some on our door. A few cruises later, it dawned on me that people brought these from home and had fun decorating their doors and possibly their cabins.

I now make magnets/decorations for our room and anyone who is travelling with us. We have fun with them and always enjoy the comments we hear from people who go past our rooms. (I hope mr. or mrs. grumblypants never goes past our room while we are there).

One important thing though, make sure YOU clean your door/wall completely. If you happen to get the red things that bleed through (we accidentally did that on our Halloween cruise), ask the room steward for his cleaner the last day of your cruise at the latest. Take the red "globs" off and completely clean the door so the "bleeding" is gone and the door is spotless!

Enjoy and have fun!:D

Here's a unique idea: If you find the idea of door signs unappealing, don't make one for your door.

The ship is a small place, and in many other situations onboard, your actions impact whether I'm having a good time:

If you hog the deck chairs and I can't get a seat by the pool, I'm not going to have a good time that afternoon.

If you come to dinner in khakis on formal night, it does impact the atmosphere of the grand dining room.

If you are loud and obnoxious in a specialty restaurant, it will cut into my quiet, romantic meal.

If you let your kids scream or run around in the theater during the evening show, it will keep me from enjoying the entertainment.

But if you put a sign on your door, it has absolutely NO impact on my cruise.

I go to the dollar store for the decoration so I do not care if they walk. We have put up dry erase boards and have loved the messages people have left for us. I am going on a cruise during Mardi Gras and I got several different face masks for the door along with my usual tropical theme. I use magnetic peel and stick tape to hold the decorations up. No damage to the door.

It is fun to decorate the door and to see how creative other people can be. It also makes finding your room a lot easier. :D

I know I haven't posted here very much and am still quite a newbie, but I have to admit that I'm a little taken aback by some of the responses when considering my initial post was merely about where could I get a sign made.

If you don't like it, fine. As someone else said, different strokes for different folks. But, if you're response is more to the point of "how silly" or "I'm glad they don't do that on my ship", I beg to ask, how are you really contributing to the conversation in a helpful or friendly way?

I went to the $1 Tree and got some Mardi Gras door signs and garland and will be using that to make my door sign for my upcoming cruise next week. Make yours and enjoy your cruise!! I like to have fun and even had drinks sent to our room on my last cruise which was welcoming my husband home from Iraq and I had the welcome home signs on our door. :)