When does the high season end in the Baltic?

Quasar1011

I was talking to my wife last night about our upcoming Caribbean cruise, and I told her that I'd like to take a Baltic cruise in 2013. She is interested in that. :D August would be my first choice, because then we could celebrate our wedding anniversary while on the cruise.

But, does the high season end shortly after that? By that, I mean, when are most schools back in session? If there's a price drop later in September, I'd certainly consider going later. Mid-October is probably the latest I'd want to go, due to the weather.

Any input will be appreciated. :)

As noted, the Baltics season is much narrower due to weather compared to in the Med. Below explains and shows why! It's worth it, however, to visit the Baltics. Below are a few of my visual examples for what you can enjoy there!

Specific weather history for each port on the dates you be visiting there can be obtained by going to this below website, plugging in the location name and then going to the lower area for an earlier date to what happened there last year on that date, past averages, etc. Check out:

http://www.wunderground.com

To provide some added details, here are a few weather averages for three of key cities in the Baltics.

Copenhagen: High/low averages for each month,

May: 59/45 °F

June: 67/52 °F

July: 69/55 °F

August: 69/54 °F

September: 62/50 °F

St. Petersburg:

May: 59/42 °F

June: 67/52 °F

July: 71/56 °F

August: 66/54 °F

Stockholm:

May: 60/43 °F

June: 69/52 °F

July: 71/56 °F

August: 69/55 °F

September: 59/48 °F

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 59.599 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 57,071 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

At St. Petersburg’s Hermitage, just one of many, many great galleries:

1A-StP-HermitageGalleries.jpg

Here is a wider shot of the Spilled Blood Church interior in St. Petersburg. Its exterior design is more traditionally "Russian" or Orthodox than St. Isaac.:

1A-StP-SpilledBld.jpg

Copenhagen’s Nyhavn or “new” Harbor is actually old and charming. This waterfront entertainment district is lined by brightly colored 17th and early 18th century townhouses and bars, cafes and restaurants. Serving as a "heritage harbor", the canal also has many historical wooden ships. Lots of people and fun activity!!:

Boat.jpg

At Stockholm’s Royal Palace, the changing of the guard:

1A-StHolm-Guards.jpg

Fountains and water from the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

As we entered Catherine's Palace outside of St. Petersburg, here was the welcoming band.:

1A-StP-WelcomeCath.jpg

I was talking to my wife last night about our upcoming Caribbean cruise, and I told her that I'd like to take a Baltic cruise in 2013. She is interested in that. :D August would be my first choice, because then we could celebrate our wedding anniversary while on the cruise.

But, does the high season end shortly after that? By that, I mean, when are most schools back in session? If there's a price drop later in September, I'd certainly consider going later. Mid-October is probably the latest I'd want to go, due to the weather.

Any input will be appreciated. :)

Hi Quasar

We did the Baltics in 2009, mid to late August. We had simply magnificent weather, but, as I have said many times, in the AM's and evenings, you could definately feel the autumn chill coming in. At that time, there were two other cruises going out after us, so the last cruise thru the Baltics was over about mid september. Yes, as you go deeper into the season, the cheaper the prices are, simply because the summer months are prime and as you eluded to, kids are back in school.

Now we picked the Baltics because we like the cool weather, and if we could have traveled a crusie later we would have. You dress in thin layers, with a light windbreaker or sweatshirt in the AM, and when the sun warms things up, off it comes. When the ship is cruising, you definately need a jacket or sweater. On our ship, all the people sat on the side of the ship in the sun, as the shady side was pretty cool.

As I said, we had magnificent weather with not one day of rain thru out the entire cruise, so I would heartily recommend a crusie about the end of August or so, if you do not mind that 'chill'.

Here are a few of my pics from our crusie to help you along

In Stockholm, Gamla Stan is one of the best areas to wander around in. Sit at a local cafe, have a bite to eat and just enjoy the atmosphere

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1265.jpg

In Helsinki you need to get to Market Square. This is an area of booths and vendors selling everything from delicious Finnish food to souvenirs to Finnish made crafts. Just a wonderful area to explore and have some lunch

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster1150.jpg

In Copenhagen, first head to the Nyhavn section. A colorful area of select shops and restaurants. ideal to stroll around and take the canal crusie tour

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe247.jpg

In Copenhagen's Town Hall Square, this is the main square in this marvelous city. You can go to Tivoli Gardens, or jsut hang out or tour the Town Hall

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe326.jpg

Tallinn is a jewel of a city. We weren't prepared for how charming this city was. We loved it

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe573.jpg

In St Petersberg, try and enjoy a stroll thru the magnificent gardens at Catherine's Palace

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe714.jpg

Hope you enjoy

Cheers

Len

As noted, the Baltics season is much narrower due to weather compared to in the Med. Below explains and shows why! It's worth it, however, to visit the Baltics. Below are a few of my visual examples for what you can enjoy there!

Those are excellent photos, TLCOhio! I have lived in Europe for 10 years (7 in England, 3 in Germany) and have been to Denmark, but not the rest of the Baltics. But my wife of 5 years has never been to Europe, so I'd like to show her the Old World. Your photos show why- we just don't have the antiquities and pageants here in the New World!

Hi Quasar

We did the Baltics in 2009, mid to late August. We had simply magnificent weather, but, as I have said many times, in the AM's and evenings, you could definately feel the autumn chill coming in. At that time, there were two other cruises going out after us, so the last cruise thru the Baltics was over about mid september. Yes, as you go deeper into the season, the cheaper the prices are, simply because the summer months are prime and as you eluded to, kids are back in school.

Now we picked the Baltics because we like the cool weather, and if we could have traveled a crusie later we would have. You dress in thin layers, with a light windbreaker or sweatshirt in the AM, and when the sun warms things up, off it comes. When the ship is cruising, you definately need a jacket or sweater. On our ship, all the people sat on the side of the ship in the sun, as the shady side was pretty cool.

As I said, we had magnificent weather with not one day of rain thru out the entire cruise, so I would heartily recommend a crusie about the end of August or so, if you do not mind that 'chill'.

Thank you, Giantfan! Since her first cruise was to Alaska, I am hoping she will "warm up":rolleyes: to the idea of a Baltic cruise! :D

Those are excellent photos, TLCOhio! I have lived in Europe for 10 years (7 in England, 3 in Germany) and have been to Denmark, but not the rest of the Baltics. But my wife of 5 years has never been to Europe, so I'd like to show her the Old World. Your photos show why- we just don't have the antiquities and pageants here in the New World!

Appreciate the kind comments from our Southern Cal friend. Glad to know you're a person of such class, great taste and wonderful judgment.

YES! Take your wife to Europe. We've visited 22 countries in Europe and there is so much there is so much to do, see and experience there. Lots of great history, architecture, charm, culture and interesting people. A cruise is great way to do the Baltics. Doing by land tours there is too costly and challenging. Very time efficient doing a cruise, including added land options before and after your cruise.

Below are a few of my visual samples to help you get your wife excited about visiting these great parts of Europe.

And then, there is super wonderful Copenhagen. Love that town so much!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 60,214 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 57,302 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Dancers marching in Tallinn’s festival parade near the stone towers of the famous Viru Gate:

1A-Tallinn-DancersMarch.jpg

Private, personal tours can be worth it, especially in St. Petersburg. Here our group of four, with our guide, Jane or Zhenya, we are viewing one of the two da Vinci masterpieces (Madonna Litta or Madonna and Child) at the Hermitage after an early admission. There are only 14 such painting by this artist existing in the world. We did an early admission at the Hermitage, adding to the enjoyment in this spectacular place AND museum. It is both!:

1A-StP-HermitageDaVinciViewing.jpg

Inside Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg with our personal guide, we view this spectacular reception room, painted ceiling, gold, etc.:

A-StP-CathPal.jpg

At Catherine's Palace, here is the spectacular Amber Room:

A-StP-CathPalAmberRm.jpg

A carved stone statute in these historic and great gardens at the Peterhof:

1A-Peterhof-StatueFount.jpg

From the harbor in Stockholm, here is a view of the Royal Palace, the historic Saint Nicolaus Church, or as commonly known Storkyrkan. To the left in the picture is where the historic Gamia Stan area starts.:

StockhPalaceDocking.jpg

Archived