Best place to get a Panama hat?

Quasar1011

With any street vendor, it is expected that you haggle. The problem with a street vendor is the quality of the hat may not be that good. I too had been looking at these, and here's the URL I've been using for information on the different types and qualities. I don't know about pricing

http://www.rampant-books.com/south_america_travel_tips/t_panama_hats_tips.htm

And, this URL gives pricing info. http://www.brentblack.com/

Have fun!:D

Edited by Idahobaker

Okay, I looked on Wikipedia, and Panama hats originated in Ecuador. Still, I'd like to pick one up in Panama. Can I get an authentic hat from a street vendor? How much will they likely cost, and should I haggle the price down?

Panama hats not only originated in Ecuador, that is where they are still made. If you want an "authentic" Panama hat from Ecuador it will run you $150-500 from a reputable store in an upscale mall if you can find one and forget haggling. You can also find them on line and they will ship direct from Ecuador. The Panama-like hats you find in Panama, which can run from a few bucks to $20, are mostly made in China like almost everything else, and are touristy hats.

A real Panama hat looks something like this . . .

panama-hombre-campesino-country-man.jpg

They are made by campesinos and generally can be found in the markets or out in the country. Regards, Richard

• 2 years later...