Plus Size Bathing Suits

PrincessE

I got one online at JCPenney for our 2013 cruise and the brand name is Azul. It is a blue/green print with a V neck and shirring in the front. Fits great and washes well. Even made it through the summer, fall and part of the winter so far in the pool and hot tub. I found another at JCPenney in black for $20.00 and bought it right away so I'd have two for our upcoming cruise in Feb. It was slightly wider in the bust area but using the sewing machine I was able to taper that area slightly on both sides so it fits the same as the other one. I love this style but they seem to have discontinued it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have two suggestions: one easy; one hard.

I have tried several styles of swim skirts and swim dresses, and they ALL bubble out and float up in the water, exposing whatever is underneath.

Easy solution: buy a one piece that you like on the top, and buy a pair of black swim shorts to wear over it. I suggest getting the shorts a size bigger since they are going over the suit. I find Catherines, Roaman's, and Onestopplus have a good selection.

Hard solution: I found a bathing suit on ebay that is one piece with a short skirt. But, it isn't a skirt. It's a "skort" with a crotch, and there are regular bathing suit bottoms underneath. I took it in at the crotch to make sure there wasn't much "flotation", and also took it in (like the previous poster) at the sides to make the bust area snugger.

I like the look of that suit Ferguson. Can you tell me how it sized out for you ? Clothes size vs swimsuit size ? I haven't worn a suit in years and going on our first cruise :)

Thanks!

I wear a 14/16W and have this suit in an 18 and 16. It is tight enough fitting that the larger size fits fine.

I want to reopen this up because I need help finding a swimsuit. I'm the apple type with a ridiculously big belly. I'm worried I'll order a suit online that is not long enough on top so my belly peeks out when I snorkel, or the bottoms are pulled forward so much that it's not tight against my body where the legs connect to the trunk. Anyone have any ideas as to where to find a suit that would work?

Same problem so I can relate!

my fave suit is by longitude - a one piece with shirring on the front - hides a lot :)....and altho I am 'short' the long version is perfect as it covers what must be covered! I actually got it at a very 'high end' cruise/bathing suit shop in town - very expensive - and I thought the sales girl was crazy when she brought it into the dressing room (where I was surrounded by about 2 dozen discarded suits) - but she was right! :)

Found a pic on ebay!: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWIMSUIT-22W-NWT-LONGITUDE-FIREBIRD-SHIRRED-SQUARE-NECK-RUCHED-/121255930405?pt=US_CSA_WC_Swimwear&hash=item1c3b6aaa25#ht_5480wt_927

And I just got my 1st tankini - well separates.....as I am disproportionate of course - got a 'larger' size top with some support - and then tried on like a dozen different bottoms to deal with the 'above' problem - settled on these as they again provide good coverage without a 'saggy' bum area:

http://www.sears.ca/product/custom-curves-boy-style-swim-short/617-000889733-710198SR

Will be trying out the tankini next week :D

Edited by Froufie

• 1 month later...
Try alwaysforme.com! I'm an apple-shaped size 18, and bought a couple suits off the site for my last cruise. I normally avoid buying any clothing on the internet because it never fits right when I get it, but both suits fit me perfectly! They're on the pricey side, but totally worth it IMO.

I hate looking for bathing suits. :( I'm going to try this site. I have a difficult time finding suits that fit because I have a fat tummy and wide hips but I'm smaller on top. It's hard to find a suit that fits in both areas. Hopefully I can find something by July. :eek::p

Good luck hunting for swimsuits ladies. I usually get mine at TJ Maxx or Marshalls because I like designer ones but can't afford them!:eek: I've got my eye on a Michael Kors one right now. I saw it a week or so ago but didn't want to take the time to try it on. I'm thinking of going back and trying it on.

I'm one of those ladies that is smaller on top than on the bottom, pear-shaped I think it's called. So, because of that, I really have to try everything on and can't go just by size. Wish me luck!:D

I'm with the LandsEnd crowd. I love my bathing suit from there as well as all their other clothing for plus size women. I wear a size 16 and I like that I can get the same thing in a 16 or 16W if need be. I also like that sometimes I wear a 14w there:). But bathing suits, YES! get one of theirs.

Edited by Lwilli34

I'm with the LandsEnd crowd. I love my bathing suit from there as well as all their other clothing for plus size women. I wear a size 16 and I like that I can get the same thing in a 16 or 16W if need be. I also like that sometimes I wear a 14w there:). But bathing suits, YES! get one of theirs.

We're the same size! The swimsuit I just brought is a size 14. I'm kinda pear-shaped and small-small busted so I wanted the top to fit. I couldn't believe the bottoms fit too but they did!:D I'll have to take a look at Lands End since you ladies seem to like it so much!:D

We're the same size! The swimsuit I just brought is a size 14. I'm kinda pear-shaped and small-small busted so I wanted the top to fit. I couldn't believe the bottoms fit too but they did!:D I'll have to take a look at Lands End since you ladies seem to like it so much!:D

We sound like twins! Those are my proportions! I can wear a large in LandsEnd cardigans and a 14 or 16 in their pants or skirts. My new dress is a 14/16 . I especially love their fit and flare dresses for summer,very flattering for a pear shape I think and the top of the dress fits me.

Edited by Lwilli34

• 4 months later...

I'm bumping this thread because both Lands End and Swimsuits for All are having crazy mid-summer sales and are great sources for plus size swimwear!

I'm not going on my first cruise until January (Celebrity Summit, departing 1/10), but I just bought both of these for, like, half off. I can't wait to wear them:

http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-aquafitness-butterfly-scoopneck-one-piece-swimsuit-with-tummy-control/id_261030_57

http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/Carmen-Marc-Valvo-Tribal-Muse-Plus-Size-Beaded-Halter-Tankini

Enjoy! :-)

-Kristin

Hi Ladies

I am a very generous BBW...size 26 and believe it or not have recently scored 2 bathing suites for less than $25 at Ross for Less on my shopping trips across the line... Needless to say I was thrilled. I have in the past been very lucky and gotten flattering swim dress suits at Kmart - YUP... and trust me, they were just a good quality as those $70 or more elsewhere.

I find the dress suits are more flattering due to my long torso...those 2 piece short/tankini's do not flatter me... but the one suit I did buy at Ross was like that, did not try on in first, but when I got it home, it really was not that bad and I will use it as a back up suit - maybe if I lose a few more pounds I will feel better in it. Slowly knocking those pounds down...have started pool walking - hence my need for more suits..and hope to move up to more actual swimming but need to start slow somewhere !!!

Good luck and thanks for all the posts for bargains and online sites... may need more if I keep up with the swimming - chlorine is hell on the suits.

Cheers

Sue

• 3 weeks later...
I have surprisingly gotten pretty lucky with some mid to late season swimsuit finds at places like TJ Maxx and Marshalls! Way I look at it, swimsuit shopping is a BITCH so if I find one or two that look ok- score!! (for reference I am about size 18 )

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought my second suit from swimsuitsforall.com. I need an extra for our next cruise, because it takes a while for them to hang dry, so a back-up is a good idea.

I bought a Longitude style for my trip last March/April, and loved it! I've posted about it on a few other threads here, but the fit is great for big-tummied, or longwaisted bodies. Mine is the latter. The suit under the skirt is black, so no nudie look if it floats up a little.

Love these suits! Very comfortable fit, and the fabric is sleek and has a good weight. The double straps really hold the girls up, too!

Newest one: http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/Longitude-Hot-Rod-Empire-Swimdress

Previous one:

http://www.swimsuitsforall.com/Longitude-Formosa-Empire-Princess-Seam-Swimdress-top-print-only

• 3 months later...

Swimoutlet.com was fast last week. I swim 4 times a week and my top priority is chlorine resistant--polyester or nylon . I love my Speedo Endurance lap suit and the colors are wonderful but the top seems very small (and I am not top heavy). Basically go to Amazon and put in "women's plus swimsuit" . Store shopping for plus is not good except May or June .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My biggest trouble spot with swim suits has been having enough support and lift in the bust - so I switched from my trusty Lands End suits to Lane Bryant separates. The tops are bra-sized with one of their Cacique bras built in. Boy do they look good on me. I get the right sized bottoms to go with them - and I've been very happy! I think they sell them year round online.

I have two of these I'm taking on an upcoming cruise...http://www.lanebryant.com/hardware-swim-tank-with-built-in-balconette-bra/p195379/index.pro?selectedColor=Black&selectedSize=None%20selected&fromZafu=true&zafusource=SR

I was looking on Lane Bryant website today. Love you can get in a cup size because I need that!! How do you find their brand runs in comparison to your actual bra size? I liked a lot of them but seem more low cut or revealing then what I am use too

Can you return to the store if you don't like or how they fit. ?

Thanks

Debbie

Be sure to check swimsuitsforall.com. I've got two from them and love them!

I have two of the Longitude swim dresses. They are super good fabric, gorgeous colors, and I love the black instead of nude mesh underneath.

I was looking on Lane Bryant website today. Love you can get in a cup size because I need that!! How do you find their brand runs in comparison to your actual bra size? I liked a lot of them but seem more low cut or revealing then what I am use too

Can you return to the store if you don't like or how they fit. ?

Thanks

Debbie

Well I wear their bras normally, so it was easy for me, I just ordered my normal Cacique bra size. You can definitely return to the store. You might want to order a couple sizes and return whatever doesn't work. Or you could go to the store and try on the style (e.g. balconette or plunge) and figure out what the right size is. The balconette is less revealing, but it definitely shows cleavage.