Plus Size Bathing Suits

PrincessE

I just ordered a beautiful tankini from alwaysforme dot com. I ordered a size up and it fits really well, and is comfortable! Shipping was extremely fast, I think less than a week actually.

Also, I found another one at Kohls that I really like as well, it's a one piece but it's designed to look like a tankini. It's adorable and VERY comfortable and flattering-

Swimsuit shopping is always a pain, but this time I felt fortunate.

Hope this helps you!:)

Hi Ladies

I am a very generous BBW...size 26 and believe it or not have recently scored 2 bathing suites for less than $25 at Ross for Less on my shopping trips across the line... Needless to say I was thrilled. I have in the past been very lucky and gotten flattering swim dress suits at Kmart - YUP... and trust me, they were just a good quality as those $70 or more elsewhere.

I find the dress suits are more flattering due to my long torso...those 2 piece short/tankini's do not flatter me... but the one suit I did buy at Ross was like that, did not try on in first, but when I got it home, it really was not that bad and I will use it as a back up suit - maybe if I lose a few more pounds I will feel better in it. Slowly knocking those pounds down...have started pool walking - hence my need for more suits..and hope to move up to more actual swimming but need to start slow somewhere !!!

Good luck and thanks for all the posts for bargains and online sites... may need more if I keep up with the swimming - chlorine is hell on the suits.

Cheers

Sue

Congrats on starting a healthy pool walking habit. Find a friend who goes with you and this wonderful activity becomes very social too!

If you are in a pool with chlorine then you will probably want to buy suits that will last longer than "fashion" or ordinary bathing suits. The trick is to get polyester fabric or nylon. These chemically do not react with the chlorine. Spandex does react with chlorine and other pool chemicals and thus the separation at the back seam. I am also plus woman and I pool walk or noodle 3-5 times a week. I found that Speedo Endurance brand suits wear a long time (2-3 years in my regular rotation of 3 suits) and Oceania brand. H2O brand is good but not generous in size for us "big girls". It is not the price of the suit but the fabric that is the difference. My friend insists on a lining to her suit so it does not stretch out. Bright colors fade in suits that are not chlorine resistant (the prettier the suit the worse it looks after chlorine especially my favorite hot pinks). I prefer for pool walking to have a one piece suit with NO skirt to flap around and not tankini because they balloon up in the wonderful hot tub (after walking). If you can find a warm water pool for your exercise it is truly Heaven! Keep it up.

Be sure to check swimsuitsforall.com. I've got two from them and love them!

I have two of the Longitude swim dresses. They are super good fabric, gorgeous colors, and I love the black instead of nude mesh underneath.

I bought a shortini from them. It is great because it allows you to order different size tops and bottoms. You can use more than one promo code with them.

• 1 month later...

Have those of you who have ordered from Swimsuits for All found their suits to be of fairly good quality? Prices reasonable?

My problems is I am large in the belly and small in the bust. It's so hard to find something I like. So I guess I am "pear shaped." If any of you other pear shapes have tips of what works well, please share. I do have a couple of separates from Target. Last year I got a great top, but I have looked everywhere for it and I fear I may have accidentally put it in the pile for donations (which I have already taken to a place).

Have those of you who have ordered from Swimsuits for All found their suits to be of fairly good quality? Prices reasonable?

My problems is I am large in the belly and small in the bust. It's so hard to find something I like. So I guess I am "pear shaped." If any of you other pear shapes have tips of what works well, please share. I do have a couple of separates from Target. Last year I got a great top, but I have looked everywhere for it and I fear I may have accidentally put it in the pile for donations (which I have already taken to a place).

I'm shaped the same and often find way too much room in the top. I look for less structured bras. Not real sure how to describe it but I try not to buy ones without molded cups.

I LOVE my swimsuitsforall swim dresses. They are really high quality.

If you buy one, and they have it on sale within 30 days, they will refund you the difference.

Go to their web site and search on "longitude". You'll see all the suits that are longer in the length, which is great for a little extra room in the belly area. The bra cups are soft molding inside, and the swimdresses have double straps. They also have black spandex under the skirt, so when it floats up a little in the water you don't have a nude color underneath. I love both of mine.

Have you tried Lane Bryant? I like some of their swimsuits but I find that the cup/bust area is cut slightly small... Which may work for your body type. Unfortunately, my cups tend to runneth over :eek:

Had good luck at Torrid and at a new to the U.S. store City Chic (from Australia).

For those that are small on top and larger below check out maternity suits at Target etc.

I too got lucky at Ross for my last new swimsuit. Before that I found a new-with-tags tankini on eBay, I forget the brand.

I do not actually swim nor sunbathe, so I may not be the best expert here. But it is good to have a bathing suit in one's dresser "for when". Maybe a rafting trip?

I have the hardest time finding a swimsuit that looks good on me. My weight is mostly hips and legs. My top is size 18/20 with pretty much nonexistent bust, hips are 26/28. Legs should never be seen. Any suggestions on what to look for? Tanks never stay down.

Swimsuits for all has good reviews and they have separates. I have two swimming suits that are a blouson top and shorts, like board shorts. They are really comfortable, and I've received complements. I personally prefer the shorts to a skirt. Take a look! Have fun on your cruise!:D

Oops sorry, I had the wrong page up & thought this was a current post

Edited by retired714

I loved everything I got from there. I haven't worn them to the pool yet but the quality was the same as I have bought at Department stores.

When in the ocean swimming or playing around, does the top part float up?

I had this problem the time I wore a tankini, and it was uncomfortable not to mention looked a little funny with the top floating up on top of the water. 😄 I usually wear one pieces for that reason, but this year for the first time ever I bought a few high waisted bikinis for our upcoming cruise. I'm a big woman, but the high waisted bottoms can be flattering as they cover my big belly. I wore one of the bikinis swimming for the first time yesterday and it was very comfortable. And I didn't loose my top on the water slide which I was afraid of! LOL

Swimsuitsforall.com is a great place to look. I got two suits from the GabiFresh line (one bikini and a one piece) and both are great quality and really cute. They have lots of sales, and swimsuits in almost every style you can imagine.

Forever 21 has some really cute ones in their plus sized section, too, and they are very affordable.

• 2 weeks later...

What do you all think of swim shorts like these?

DP0908201417090436M.tif?hei=150&wid=150&op_usm=.4,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp2&op_usm=.4,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp2

Are they too "granny"? I hate wriggling in and out of a one piece and have thick thighs, I would love the extra coverage these provide and the ability to mix and match tops. I am reading a lot about the tops floating up though, how do I prevent that?

DP0908201417090436M.tif?hei=150&wid=150&op_usm=.4,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp2&op_usm=.4,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp2

Are they too "granny"? I hate wriggling in and out of a one piece and have thick thighs, I would love the extra coverage these provide and the ability to mix and match tops. I am reading a lot about the tops floating up though, how do I prevent that?

The only way I've been able to get the tops or skirts on bathing suits to not float up is to sew drapery weights in the hem: one each in front and back, and one on each side. You can get them at Joann's Fabrics or any fabric store.

This is the reason I am in love with my Longitude bathing suits from swimsuitsforall. The underneath bodysuit is black. If the skirt floats up it just looks like a bathing suit, not nude skin like most. Also, when I go in the ocean I tuck the bottom of the skirt up under the bottom of the suit on each side a little bit. Keeps it in place pretty well.

Zulily has great prices and selection. Just order way in advance. They are slow shippers!

I love Zulily, especially when the bathing suits are under $25 (and clothes too). :) Definitely need to order like 2 months before the trip so you can get your shipment on time....:(

Its whatever works for you - you're the one that has to wear them! Personally, that would be something I would wear and I'm in my 30's. :p

• 2 weeks later...

I like to pull on a pair of board shorts or swim shorts over a one-piece tank-stye suit.

My favorite brand of swimsuit is Longitude, which Marshalls and TJ Maxx once carried plenty of. Now, however, their selections of swimwear is quite sparce.