Plus Size Bathing Suits

PrincessE

I like to pull on a pair of board shorts or swim shorts over a one-piece tank-stye suit.

My favorite brand of swimsuit is Longitude, which Marshalls and TJ Maxx once carried plenty of. Now, however, their selections of swimwear is quite sparce.

Not sure if you know this, but swimsuitsforall.com carries Longitude.

What do you all think of swim shorts like these?

DP0908201417090436M.tif?hei=150&wid=150&op_usm=.4,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp2&op_usm=.4,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp2

Are they too "granny"? I hate wriggling in and out of a one piece and have thick thighs, I would love the extra coverage these provide and the ability to mix and match tops. I am reading a lot about the tops floating up though, how do I prevent that?

I love these. I have similar ones in both black and white

I'm another swim suits for all advocate. I was scared to order online but I did and got two that are super cute! One is a one piece the other is a tankini. The bottoms come up high (belly button high) so it gives you the extra security (I'm weird like that). I'm leaving this Friday to try them out for the first time on my cruise, I will let you know how they hold up if you like! (Also, you might wear a size different on their website, I measured and wore a different size than usual and it seems fine).

• 10 months later...

Bringing this post back to the top since it's that time again!

I just got a cute two piece at JC Penney's and they actually had several colors and styles in store to try on. I love the shorts because instead of the "crinkly" board short material they are the swimsuit material like what swim skirts are made of. Now, they aren't as flattering because I think the board short style flattens your tummy better. BUT when wearing it in water I felt it held too much water, dragged down etc. The suit I ended up with looks sporty, has a long top and overall I felt comfortable in it. Thought I'd share!

DP1218201517091430M.tif?hei=150&wid=150&op_usm=.4,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp2&op_usm=.4,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp2

DP0126201620484779C.tif?hei=150&wid=150&op_usm=.4,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp2&op_usm=.4,.8,0,0&resmode=sharp2

Edited by murfturf

Large thighs: it is better to wear a swim skirt or can this make you look even bigger on the bottom?

I never thought I would buy a swim dress because I always thought they were too 'old ladyish'. I have a big tummy and large thighs but I'm small on top. I decided to try a swim dress because I was sick of trying to find a one piece that would fit, and they would show every bump and lump that I go to great lengths to try to hide with clothes on. :p Well, I'll never buy anything BUT a swim dress now. They don't make you look larger, they are actually much more flattering because they hide your thighs and your tummy. For the first time I could walk around in a bathing suit and not feel self conscience. Get one and see what you think!

Thank you all for letting me know about swimsuits for all.

Before I was feeling insecure about baring so much skin on my upcoming cruise but now I am feeling confident.

After reading this thread I placed an order on Wednesday and it was delivered Monday. I was really worried about buying a swimsuit online but they fit great.

I used the coupon code WELCOME2015. It is 40% off and free shipping.

The 40% off is off the original price not the sales price but of the coupon codes I tried it still gave me the biggest savings.

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie here, poking my head out of the sand LOL

My favorite is Lands End. You just have to watch for coupons and their suits last for years and hold up excellent. All of their pieces are mix and match.

I'm going on my first cruise at the end of May! So excited! I am learning so much on here and have enjoyed popping in and out throughout the day!

I never thought I would buy a swim dress because I always thought they were too 'old ladyish'. I have a big tummy and large thighs but I'm small on top. I decided to try a swim dress because I was sick of trying to find a one piece that would fit, and they would show every bump and lump that I go to great lengths to try to hide with clothes on. :p Well, I'll never buy anything BUT a swim dress now. They don't make you look larger, they are actually much more flattering because they hide your thighs and your tummy. For the first time I could walk around in a bathing suit and not feel self conscience. Get one and see what you think!

LazyDays64, I couldn't agree more with you about swim dresses. I have several of them in different styles and colors, and these are the only types of swimsuits I get now.

I'm in my mid-30s and am plus size. At first I was worried the swim dress would make me look frumpy, but I have so much more confidence in this style of suit since I'm not as worried about my thighs and stomach. I agree that they actually are more flattering. Swimsuits For All has a great selection of swim dresses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by OUgal

• 2 years later...

Bringing this topic back to the top! 

I've been browsing for a new suit and thinking about trying a two piece - not a tankini but maybe a high waist bottom with a flounce top. So I've looked at Torrid and they have some really cute pieces I may order.  But when I looked on Lane Bryant I was NOT impressed with what they had to offer. The suits didn't look good on any of their models. 

Any great finds for the 2019 season? 

Lands End swim catalog came today - cute options, lots of mix and match separates. Target has had some cute stuff, including Plus, in the past - though none of the suits I've ordered worked for me (they're not good with big boobs - Lands End tends to fit me better....)

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 2:28 PM, murfturf said:

I've been browsing for a new suit and thinking about trying a two piece - not a tankini but maybe a high waist bottom with a flounce top. So I've looked at Torrid and they have some really cute pieces I may order.  But when I looked on Lane Bryant I was NOT impressed with what they had to offer. The suits didn't look good on any of their models. 

I got cute swimsuits online from Target and City Chic (make sure it's the US website).  And I'm always checking Swimsuits for All but I haven't bought anything yet.  Torrid has been releasing new ones this week and so has Fashion to Figure. 

I'm happy we have more options now!

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:28 PM, murfturf said:

The Lane Bryant swimsuits are NOT cute this year. However, if you go on eBay, there are many, many LB swim suits that are very cute, supportive, and flattering. I own many of them! A lot of them are new with tags, so it's not like you're buying a used swimsuit...

On 3/18/2019 at 4:01 PM, Hoyaheel said:

Lands End swim catalog came today - cute options, lots of mix and match separates. Target has had some cute stuff, including Plus, in the past - though none of the suits I've ordered worked for me (they're not good with big boobs - Lands End tends to fit me better....)

Lands End almost always work for me - most supportive I've found even the wire-free ones! 

I just bought an Emerald Bay brand at Ross, and it's not the most supportive but it's cute for hanging at the beach, not a more active suit for snorkeling or swimming !

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 3:28 PM, murfturf said:

I had some really good success at Kohl's this year - I got two new suits for a great price. See pics. One was a swimdress that I NEVER thought I would like but it's really cute! I've had success in the past with Venus.com. They have a selection of cute plus size suits - although some show a little more than I like. Tankini tops run small (especially for the large busted), but everything else I've tried has been true to size.

apt9.JPG

C&B.JPG

• 3 months later...

I was going to start a new thread but thought this might be an appropriate spot. I am not plus size but I do have a large chest (40" so DD or DDD depending on the the manufacturer). However, my band size is only 33. I have a very tough time finding tops that provide coverage, are cute and supportive (mine are God given). The ones I like normally run $60 a piece! Just for the top...NO WAY!!!

This year I feel like I hit the jackpot. Venus.com has a halter bikini top available for $26.99!  You can select your band size and cup size up to DDD! I also had luck at Kohls of all places. I was able to find an Apt.9 D-Cup top. Comes is S-XXL with a few different fabric options. I got the Large and it fits perfectly. I used the size guide on the site.

I hope this helps others 🙂

I'm not +size but I don't like either 1 piece or tankini suits so I bought a 1 piece that had kind of an over-top (loose fitting) with the basic swimsuit top inside, cut the bottom of the swimsuit off leaving it long enough to tuck into the swim shorts I bought & it worked great. 

• 2 weeks later...

I want to jump in here because I was a HUGE Swimsuits for All fan, however I just bought two from Amazon that were less than what I paid for the one that I just got from Swimsuits for All and actually fit me better!  They are definitely worth a look!  I'll include the top I bought.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B073PWM6S4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I have 3 suits from swimsuits for all but what I discovered is I actually cant swim in any of them, the bottoms are too slippery to keep in place or they just fly up in moderate bathing, I never thought of any of this as I was buying  them just thought id post incase  anyone was in same situation.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2012 at 3:32 PM, pyropoodle said:

don't forget to try TJ Maxx. You never know what they have in stock and they usually have swimsuits under $30.00 and a lot of times just for $19.99...they almost always have excellent support with a good bra and a tummy sucking-in liner. that's where i get all of my swim suits. I swim year round and when i find one that i like, i buy as many as I can since I go through them quickly (lots of chlorine use!!!) otherwise, they last a long time.

I agree! I am leaving for the Panama Canal trip next month and just bought 2 high quality well made bathing suits from TJMaxx. One was a Ellen Tracy suit and the other a Tommy Hilfiger for $24.99 each. Full price ran $98. 

8 hours ago, Nanajands said:

I agree! I am leaving for the Panama Canal trip next month and just bought 2 high quality well made bathing suits from TJMaxx. One was a Ellen Tracy suit and the other a Tommy Hilfiger for $24.99 each. Full price ran $98. 

Haha, my post is a little old but I still stand by it-  I bought my swimsuits for my trip back in August there as well as swimsuits for my kiddos (whom I didn’t have back in 2012 when I posted).   Love me some TJmaxx