The best to places to hit and miss

phyl-bob

The compuster has sucked me in over the last couple of days trying to read all the info I can before we go on our cruise. So my brain is fried and I need help. Going to be there for the day. What places should I absolute not miss and what places should I keep on walking by. Plan to take the trolley so we are going to leave the driving up to someone else. I just need to be able to be able to walk or stumble back to the boat. Any suggestions??????? Thanks.:D

The compuster has sucked me in over the last couple of days trying to read all the info I can before we go on our cruise. So my brain is fried and I need help. Going to be there for the day. What places should I absolute not miss and what places should I keep on walking by. Plan to take the trolley so we are going to leave the driving up to someone else. I just need to be able to be able to walk or stumble back to the boat. Any suggestions??????? Thanks.:D

I suppose since it's Key West you could hit the usual touristy places - Sloppy Joe's on Duval, Captain Tony's on Green just off Duval, Margeritaville on Duval, the smallest bar in Key West on Duval, the Rum Barrel and Island Dogs, across Front Street from each other and just off Duval. Then grab a snack at DJ's Clam Shack on...you guessed it.

Pjk

I started by taking the City View Trolley around. I hit it lucky, because I had the driver to myself for half the tour. Went around completely once, to get the "lay of the land", then went around a second time, hopping off at the stops that interested me.

Had a great day.

Thanks for the suggestions. We want to see as much as we can in the time we have. I just don't want to be sucked into a bar or tourist trap and waste valuable time in the places that do matter:rolleyes:

Then my suggestion would be to skip at least the first five blocks of Duval St as it is mostly seedy bars, tee shirt shops and tourist traps. JMHO

Mike:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Are you a history or science buff? For science check out the Eco-Discovery museum which will show coastal and near-shore animal and marine life. The museum is free, but you can leave a donation.

Or you might like the Butterfly Conservatory at the far end of Duval. Or the Key West Aquarium.

If you like history, you might enjoy a tour of the Truman Winter White House, the Key West lighthouse and lighthouse keeper's cottage, the Audubon House, the Mel Fisher Sunken Treasure museum. You can also check out the fascinating and quirky Key West cemetery. You might enjoy walking along the historic and picturesque Schooner Wharf.

If you enjoy Hemingway's writings, you might enjoy touring Hemingway's House.

There is a US Coast Guard cutter you can tour, but I don't know the hours or days tours are given.

Fort Zachary Taylor State Park has a Civil War era brick fort filled with large coastal artillery of those times such as gigantic Columbiads.

You can take a ghost tour if the day time one is still offered.

Or just walk around Key West's streets and enjoy the unique architecture and tropical vegetation.

Are you a history or science buff? For science check out the Eco-Discovery museum which will show coastal and near-shore animal and marine life. The museum is free, but you can leave a donation.

Or you might like the Butterfly Conservatory at the far end of Duval. Or the Key West Aquarium.

If you like history, you might enjoy a tour of the Truman Winter White House, the Key West lighthouse and lighthouse keeper's cottage, the Audubon House, the Mel Fisher Sunken Treasure museum. You can also check out the fascinating and quirky Key West cemetery. You might enjoy walking along the historic and picturesque Schooner Wharf.

If you enjoy Hemingway's writings, you might enjoy touring Hemingway's House.

There is a US Coast Guard cutter you can tour, but I don't know the hours or days tours are given.

Fort Zachary Taylor State Park has a Civil War era brick fort filled with large coastal artillery of those times such as gigantic Columbiads.

You can take a ghost tour if the day time one is still offered.

Or just walk around Key West's streets and enjoy the unique architecture and tropical vegetation.

Very helpful post!!!!! Thank you!! :)

ry%3D400

That is not a missile silo. It was a World War II munitions dump. It was later used as a command center during the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Though not a missile silo, it's still a good site for history buffs.

I would say Fort Zach Taylor, if you like history stuff, also you could add East and West Martello Towers into that. Mallory Square at sunset is great, and a stop to Kino is what would make the whole thing complete!

I was born and raised there, but left in 97 and haven't returned very often and a lot has changed.

The butterfly conservatory is very nice, the aquarium is OK, there is the Hemingway house, Mel Fisher museum, the Key West light house. That is all I can think of off the top of my head at the moment

ETA: I love Turtle Kraals!

No one has mentioned Mel Fischer's Atocha museum. It is the Spanish galleon that sank off Key West with a huge treasure. A lot of it is dispalyed at the museum. Quite interesting and not touristy.

A seond for the Hemmingway house. Go to the garden and ask about why there is urinal there....verrryy innteresting. Also look for penny at the swimming pool.

Take a peddle cab to get around. A little more expensive, but you get some more Key West comments from the driver.

Also, watch out for the chickens. They populate Key West. I almost got attacked by a rooster in an alley one time. They hired a local barber to catch them, but that didn't prove too successful. It is illegal to kill them....well sort of. Some of the chickens die a mysterious death. No wounds...no weapons found. It seems one way to rid a palce of chickns is with a slig shot using an icecube as the missle. The missile soon disappears in the Key West heat and nobody knows why the chicken died.:rolleyes:

Archived