What is Cunard Cruisemail?

bazzaw

Just realised that I will get 2 hours Internet time on the last two of our 3 next Cunard cruises -- EXCEPT "Internet time plan credit does not apply to Cunard 'Cruisemail'.

???

Thanks for any advice re this

Barry

PARTIAL quote from http://www.cunard.com/FAQs/On-Board/

.... Queen Mary 2 also offers in-stateroom e-mail access to her guests, via a “CruisEmail” account – information and addresses will be provided in your preliminary documents. Charges apply for these services. Please note, access is subject to satellite coverage and wireless access does not support PDA’s.

All staterooms have direct-dial telephones. Before your departure, in your final document packet, you will receive direct-dial phone and fax information

Good guestion Barry.

How in-stateroom CruisEmail is accessible with a passengers not having their own lap-top computer is a mystery to me.

PARTIAL quote from http://www.cunard.com/FAQs/On-Board/

.... Queen Mary 2 also offers in-stateroom e-mail access to her guests, via a “CruisEmail” account – information and addresses will be provided in your preliminary documents. Charges apply for these services. Please note, access is subject to satellite coverage and wireless access does not support PDA’s.

All staterooms have direct-dial telephones. Before your departure, in your final document packet, you will receive direct-dial phone and fax information

Good guestion Barry.

How in-stateroom CruisEmail is accessible with a passengers not having their own lap-top computer is a mystery to me.

Could just be that the FAQ requires updating. I seem to remember that the TV's in the cabins on QM2 used to come with a keyboard using which you could gain access to an e-mail system of some sort or another. Don't know about the grills but the interactive TVs have long gone from Britannia cabins.

J

Could just be that the FAQ requires updating. I seem to remember that the TV's in the cabins on QM2 used to come with a keyboard using which you could gain access to an e-mail system of some sort or another. Don't know about the grills but the interactive TVs have long gone from Britannia cabins.

J

That would also be my guess: FAQ are frequently asked guestions, but the answers are next to worthless.

And yes, I remember the old days (three or four years ago?) when the TV's in the cabins were interactive. But now there are flat screen TV's with limited channels and no interactive features for passengers.

Just realised that I will get 2 hours Internet time on the last two of our 3 next Cunard cruises -- EXCEPT "Internet time plan credit does not apply to Cunard 'Cruisemail'.

???

Thanks for any advice re this

Barry

Barry,

Cruisemail is a system whereby Cunard can set up a special e-mail account for you to use during the duration of your voyage. Here is some additional information about it from ask.cunard.com.

What is the email address for people to contact friends or family on board?

In the first instance, guests should either set up an email address via the cyber cafe, or log on to their own email account via the cyber cafe on their own lap top in the Wi Fi areas around the ship.

Alternatively, guests can be emailed using the following address:

'First initial', 'surname', 'cabin
number'@shipname.cruisemail.net

For example -

Guests will not be notified as soon as the email is received as the box is not monitored. Guests have to log in to pick up any messages, just as they would a normal email system. Guests would be advised to sign up for a Yahoo or Hotmail account. The cruisemail account has a setup fee and as well as usage fee and the normal per minute charge to access the Internet. These charges are detailed on board. ...

I have never used cruisemail myself. As Cruachan and Salacia have indicted, I also suspect it is a throwback to a bygone era when email access may have been provided via the in-room TV. Assuming you already have an email account you can access from your own laptop or an email account you can access from a web browser using one of the ship's computers in the computer centre, there is no need to deal with cruisemail.

Regards,

John.

John

Thank you for that . I thought that it may have been a similar system to that on P&O UK ships - but obviously not. On those ships, you can freely access the P&O website. Through that P&O site, you can participate in a private" group" that you have previously setup before sailing ( it works a bit like the way we communicate with each other within this Forum) .

Any way - looks like I have a couple of hours free Internet time!! :) I won't have to lug my laptop ashore looking for wifi points after all :)

Barry

Archived