Windstar vs Silversea vs Seabourn

bahrain_not_dubai!

Also posted on Seabourn forum to get their perspective :)

Hello everyone!

Okay, so after a year's hiatus sailing Seabourn, after pledging to not return back to the mass market lines, I ended up having to cancel my Seabourn cruise scheduled for July last year as commitments took me to the States, so did a trans-USA tour over there with two cruises.

Now I am planning on returning to Seabourn ( the P&O cruise below is a sailing with a few friends), yet have been strongly considering two alternatives, Silversea and Windstar.

I have been thinking a lot so I thought I'd come back to Cruise Critic for your opinions, and what you'd do in my position.

Why? My Seabourn cruise was faultless- in all of my travels far and wide, only one establishment had even come close to what Seabourn offered. I am still in contact with some of the staff, and my cruise was only 7 days ! It was really a replenishing experience, one that I will surly repeat with God's will many times in the future. The food was stupendous, itinerary great, entertainment refined, the ship was absolutely beautiful... yet my curiosity has been veering me elsewhere.

Silversea's voyage (btw all these cruises are in the Med) has a great itinerary, but I really do feel that Windstar's, cruising similar waters, has a much nicer one- that to me already discredits the Silversea voyage. Second, I like value- for the price of a Silversea Vista Suite I can be in solid, mid-range Veranda on the 7 nighter aboard Seabourn Quest. Also, I could do 10 nights on the Legend for less than 7 on the Silver Spirit- I am seemingly debunking this cruise myself, but I do still want to ask if there is something that I, perhaps, should change my view? Although more expensive, the Silver Spirit is still within my price range and I could book her- what reasons, if any, should push me forward to do this ?

Lastly, Windstar's Wind Spirit- the brand new interiors she is going to receive look fabulous, as does her itinerary, at 8 nights it is a balanced cocktail between ports only a 5,000 ton ship can enter, as well as a few major cities strewn in along the way, giving the guest a good prospective of Greece, Croatia and Italy. Love the idea of sailing, but have heard it is a rather 'down-scale' experience... I'm not excepting Seabourn quality in terms of hardware, or even cuisine, etc. but would like it to be quite close and not a 3 star experience. The best thing about Windstar is... the voyage I've penciled out happens to be 50%... yes, 50% cheaper than the Seabourn voyage. I understand alcohol is not included but the price does include 2 nights stay at a 5 star hotel in Athens- none of us drink, so that isn't an issue and all non alcoholic beverages are now included- soft drinks, coffee, cappachino, etc. If Windstar can deliver the goods, this a fantastic deal. If they can't, I'd rather spend the asking price for SB and make the best use of my vacation time, but nonetheless my heart tells me to jump on Windstar because they have been a line I have wanted to try for a long time, and things seem to have never been better for them financially speaking.

Alright, thats a lot of waffling on my part, half thinking to myself, as well as asking your kind selves... should I go with my head and stick to the best, Seabourn, should I gamble with Silversea or go where the heart goes with Windstar?

Thanks !

but nonetheless my heart tells me to jump on Windstar because they have been a line I have wanted to try for a long time, and things seem to have never been better for them financially speaking.

Alright, thats a lot of waffling on my part, half thinking to myself, as well as asking your kind selves... should I go with my head and stick to the best, Seabourn, should I gamble with Silversea or go where the heart goes with Windstar?

Thanks !

Sounds like your heart--and bank account--are telling you something, bahrain_not_dubai. LISTEN TO THEM BOTH!

As someone who has been on both Seabourn and Windstar, I found them two different "animals." Choose Seabourn for the luxury, free booze, and pampering. Choose Windstar for the experience of actually sailing with others who are more interested in casual attire, small, hidden ports of call, and an active outdoor lifestyle.

DH and I far prefer Windstar--we have two upcoming cruises booked with them this year, and have taken 3 before. But that is us. We like the more informal, friendly lifestyle.

I have to agree with the majority of the advice given. I would not call Windstar down scale. They are very good at what they do. That is to provide a casual sailing experience. If you like to wear a jacket to dinner and expect others to do the same, then Windstar is not for you. It is truely a place to relax in comfort. No one is bringing expensive clothes or jewelry with them. Not because they don't have them, but because they don't want all of those trappings on this trip. Much more Tommy Bahama than it is Hugo Boss. No one is trying to impress anyone. Fellow guests will be friendly and you will know the vast majority by the time you leave. The crew is exceptionally friendly. The food is better than most. When you are only serving a 100 people it is much more like a resturant than it is a banquet hall.

Thanks for all your advise. I feel right now its between two cruises

Seabourn Legend 10 nights Monaco-Venice

or

Wind Star 8 Nights Athens-Rome.

The Windstar cruise is $4560 and the Seabourn voyage is $8600 (total).

I've suddenly started considering a river cruise, so it's really those two versus river cruising... I'll give myself some think time. I'd think that the original Seabourn triplets would have a much more relaxed atmosphere than the Odyssey trio.

Some people on the Seabourn forum said... ''it's just a cruise''' as in, why am I thinking so hard, its only a cruise. I guess people here (as well I'm sure some there) comprehend that to some people, cruising is our passion, and thats why we'll spend many an hour planning a voyage (and enjoying every minute of it). My cruises are the time of year I look forward to the most, getting out of my daily routine and doing something I truly love, hence why I consider all my options with the utmost of care as I want to make every second of my cruise count :)

Thanks all !

Edited by bahrain_not_dubai!

I've suddenly started considering a river cruise, so it's really those two versus river cruising... I'll give myself some think time. I'd think that the original Seabourn triplets would have a much more relaxed atmosphere than the Odyssey trio.

Thanks all !

River cruising is a totally different experience. I have done several and suggest if you are looking for a Seabourn level of luxury you look at Tauck. It is also the most inclusive of the river cruise lines.

Itinerary can be tricky on a river cruise as they do not publish arrival and departure times for ports and these can change quickly depending on water levers on the river you are sailing. We were affected by snow in 2010 and lack of rain in 2011.

River cruises are quite casual and the crowds are older. We go primarily because it is the easiest way to visit Europe when traveling with my mom, who is 80. She can relax on the boat and we can head into town, meeting up for dinner.

We really enjoy AMA as they seem to cater to a younger demographic and have active included tours.

• 3 years later...

I am kind of in the same boat. Pardon the pun.Last year my husband and I thoroughly enjoyed the 10 day Iberian Autumn cruise. We loved the small ship and the 5+++ star service and the food!! We are considering a Windstar cruise as they have purchased and refurbished Seaborn's small ship. We aren't drinkers so the all inclusive booze was wasted on us. Windstar is considerably less $$$. I would like to hear from anyone who has cruised with Windstar and Seabourn. What was the overall experience . How did the food and service compare? We are looking at another fall cruise Venice as a port and either Greece, Croatia and or other Italian ports. A small ship with excellent food and sevice at a reasonable price. Isn't that what everyone wants.Lol. Bottom line is we loved Seabourn but being non drinkers we felt we were paying for something we didn't benefit from.

Thanks for you comments and recommendations.

Hi, Okanagan Girl:

My DH and I have sailed on both Seabourn and Windstar. And, like you, we are non-drinkers but love Perriers and cokes and Virgin Pina Coladas. Our take on both:

Seabourn--excellent service, large suites, cabins with balconies, and an older clientele who are wealthy and more formal. Priced higher--tipping and alcohol included.

Windstar: excellent service, now with large suites and cabins with balconies, and a slightly younger clientele who, if they have money, do not flaunt it, and are more active (i.e. watersports). Priced mid-to high and non-alcohol drinks included.

We adore Windstar--and would not go on Seabourn again unless the itinerary and price were extremely right. :D

The food was comparable on both Seabourn and Windstar. Windstar is more informal with fabulous lunch and breakfast buffets. Dinners are exquisite on Windstar: excellent cuisine, preparation, and display.

On another note--the sailing yachts: Windsurf, Wind Spirit, and Windstar--are our choice for cruising, especially in the Mediterranean. Oh, the admiring looks we get from the populace as we sail in ad out of the harbours....:p

Hi BZV143. Thanks for your feedback. So if I understand you have "sailed" on Windstar and loved the more casual atmosphere and less stuffy, maybe younger more active passengers. Food and service was comparable to Seaborne. And you aren't paying for cocktails you aren't drinking.. Have you been on Windstar's newly acquired and refurbished cruise ships? ( from Seabourn) for us the service and gourmet meals were what made our virgin Seabourn cruise so enjoyable. But honestly the price of a 9 or 10 day Seabourn cruise is almost twice that of Windstar. If the experience is the same without the booze I'm in. Thanks

Have you been on Windstar's newly acquired and refurbished cruise ships? ( from Seabourn) for us the service and gourmet meals were what made our virgin Seabourn cruise so enjoyable. But honestly the price of a 9 or 10 day Seabourn cruise is almost twice that of Windstar. If the experience is the same without the booze I'm in. Thanks

Hello again, Okanagan Girl:

You summed up my thoughts perfectly. :D

We were on both Seabourn Pride and Seabourn Legend (now...both...Windstar). I look forward to sailing on these lovely small yachts as Windstar. You will be absolutely AMAZED at the service and friendly crew onboard Windstar. We thought, much better than Seabourn. The staff and crew on Windstar are passenger-centric and get to know you and your name by the second day. Their smiles are infectious.

Another thing we LOVE about Windstar is their "Absolutely No Formal Attire Required" mantra. 180* away from Seabourn. :D:D

I can guarantee once you sail on a Windstar yacht, there will be no going back.

Ok thanks so much for your help. Now, I am leaning towards the 9 day Venitian passageway cruise with Windstar.starts in Athens, hydra,Corinth Canal,Delphi,burtrint national park in Albania, Montenegro,Dubrovnik,Venice on the Star Pride it around $4k . So now for something completly different sail on Windstar or cruise ship ie the legend pride etc. Thanks again I really appreciate you sharing your experiences.