Mopeds in Santorini

carcruiser

When we've stayed on Santorini with much younger neighbours, they've rented quad bikes, not scooters. One is on the pillion, behind the driver. In a week, they covered every little back alley and tortuous cliff road.....

There are lots of places on the island to rent these, but check the prices of cars as well, as it may not be a great difference in price.

The rule is to always wear a helmet, whatever you see the locals doing! Don't speed on the island, as you may well find a delivery van in the middle of a tiny lane....:(

There's always news in the papers, each year, of the many accidents by young N. European holidaymakers on scooters....they have a spill, wearing shorts and T shirts, and the Drs have the unpleasant task of removing grit from the grazes. Always wear long trousers and long sleeved shirts!;)

Jo.

Hi, we rented quads like Jocap did, we also rented the helmets, it was an absolutely fabulous day, we were in Oia before any of the tour buses were there, & pretty much had the town to ourselves, we left Oia as the buses were arriving.

We felt very safe, & it was an easy way to see everything we wanted to on the island.

Here's a link to my review & some photos of our day:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1513150

Hi, we rented quads like Jocap did, we also rented the helmets, it was an absolutely fabulous day, we were in Oia before any of the tour buses were there, & pretty much had the town to ourselves, we left Oia as the buses were arriving.

We felt very safe, & it was an easy way to see everything we wanted to on the island.

Oh, I loved your pictures....I wanted to be back in Kamari when I saw you riding on the promenade! Did you see any locals actually wearing helmets? We didn't, and we even saw them chatting to the police....:rolleyes:

Jo.

Oh, I loved your pictures....I wanted to be back in Kamari when I saw you riding on the promenade! Did you see any locals actually wearing helmets? We didn't, and we even saw them chatting to the police....:rolleyes:

Jo.

You're right, we didn't see a lot of helmets, but I sure felt safer with one, & thanks for your comments about the pictures, it sure was a great day!

We want to try this also. Do you need to reserve the quad ahead of arrival? Where is the rental location.

thanks for your help and great photos.

We want to try this also. Do you need to reserve the quad ahead of arrival? Where is the rental location.

thanks for your help and great photos.

Hi, we did not reserve ahead of time, but keep in mind we were there in the off season, there was only one other ship there with us & it was a small Azmara one. Can't remember the name of place we rented from, but when you walk through Fira, (after the cable car) & start going downhill, with your back to the cliff you came up from, you'll come to a big main street, go to the left, & we rented from the second rental place on the right hand side.

There are quite a few rental places, we mainly choose ours because it was the first one we saw that was open that early, & their quads looked clean & well maintained.

It was a great way to spend the day, & it insured that we never had to deal with the crowds.

Archived